The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Blank! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
(I didn't see other reviews on this, if there are I apologize for not tagging this on to the thread)

Title: BLANK! The Magic of Craig Petty
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Blank! is a collection of seven routines and three bonus routines that make use of the blank card. The blank may be a black back, face, or both face and back, the blank cards are provided and are on Bicycle stock and are very nice. The blankness is perfect on each card. The DVD quality is pretty good over all. The camera work is effected a bit in the performance due to windows being in the background and it washes out the picture just a bit but not that bad, a good camera was used. The sound is solid through out the performances and explanations. I liked the way the DVD was authored, if that is the right term. There is one section where the sleights you’ll likely need to know are gone over and then you can pick a routine and choose the performance, explanation, or both. The setting for the explanations is nice to look at, the performances clearly staged and not for an actual ‘live’ audience, but that is fine as it allows for better sound management and all that. If I was going to complain, and this is obviously my own personal opinion, it is that Craig Petty performing is like watching paint dry. I actually dozed off a few times and I didn’t exactly feel tired. Hey, others may find him dynamic I just found myself looking for someone to come over to kick the stool out from under me so I could get things over with. He is joined in his explanation by a dour fellow who I could understand about a third of what he was saying. Thank goodness the material was actually pretty good.

The routines actually were pretty good with The Spade Trick being my favorite. Blank cards are fun because they are unusual to the spectator and that makes them pay a bit of attention and you can do some interesting things with them. Sure in most cases you cannot hand the cards out to spectators to ‘examine’ but then again I am not a member of the club that thinks you have to hand out anything to anyone in an obvious way. If you don’t know what I mean by that let me know and I’ll explain it. These are all routines that can be fun, sure Craig kills them with his performance and his use of old lines that often are kind of insulting to the spectator but you can come up with a presentation or rework the ones here and have some fun material. If you are a funky card type o’ magician you may want to consider blank because you’ll very likely end up with a couple, or more, things you’ll want to work on and perform. Again, my not being into Craig’s style is a reflection on me and my way of looking at things, don’t let that influence you and you should decide for yourself. I’m sure he is a wonderful fellow as his side kick likely may be. One thing I do know, Blank! is a pretty good DVD on how to use blank cards in packet tricks and worth your consideration. Now excuse me I need a Red Bull.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2441 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Ok, I think I get the message - I'm boring as boring can be. I don't actually understand why you have to make the same point over and over until your bordering on being insulting but hey that's okay I released the DVD so I guess I'm open to all views good and bad. I respect your honest review and thank you for your recomendation of Blank.

I don't want to go on too much just in case you are Reading this without Red Bull, coffee and stimulants

Thank You

Craig
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey, are you pals with Peter Nardi? I ask because on another DVD you are almost doing a Peter Nardi impersonation and I wondered if you were goofing on him. He's a funny guy. Feel warm and fuzzy, you got a good review.
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
One thing I noticed about this DVD is it seems to be missing a trick! The Doctor Who Card Trick. It's advertised on the blurb but there is no Dr. Who Card Trick on the DVD. Disappointing as the description of this is what sold me on this DVD.

Can anyone else comment on this, or is it just me?

all the best

big dan
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Big Dan,

It's a Easter Egg (hidden trick). If I remember correctly, try clicking around the performance trick menu.

Good luck!
-AH
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've never found an easter egg in my life. I thought an easter egg was, be definition an extra 'surprise' trick?
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
Cool, I usually find them on my laptop using the Menu structure but I was watching this on my regular DVD player so I'll try looking on my laptop! Thanks!
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!