The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Corporate Close Up 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Corporate Close Up 2
Medium: 2 DVDs sold separately
Arena: strolling, cocktail/corporate magic
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Corporate Close Up 2, I’ve never seen Corporate Close Up 1, is a set of DVDs sold separately that is intended to give the ins and outs of corporate party work. This information often translates to private parties and other strolling situations such as restaurants. The DVDs consist of questions being answered by a number of pros, all out of the UK, often giving different opinions on the same subject. They have also included various effects shown and taught so those that only care about tricks will have something to look at. I actually like these types of DVDs and think they provide information that has too often been ignored and information that will be of value, real value, to those that want to work this type of magic.

The quality of the DVDs is very high, typical of what we’ve seen from the Brits the last few years. The cameras used are clearly high end and the sound is great. Most of it is conversations so the sound is important. As I said the idea is a question is asked and various magicians give their responses to questions such as “how do you approach?”, “Pocket management”, which is very important, “what is your opening effect?”, “what do you arrive and what do you do?”. The answers are interesting and enlightening and none of the performers think they walk on water, which is nice. The routines shown on volume one are a handful of card effects, the best being Harry Andersons Gang of Four and an excellent ambitious card by Martin Sanderson.

Disk two continues with the same quality level and same format as disk one. On this disk there is a very interesting interview with an agent as well as discussions about how many tricks to carry, starting your business, when to and when not to perform, and websites. The information is of value and we run into the question of ‘will the people who need this info ever see this DVD?’. I hope they do because it is something that will help smooth the road for those starting out in the business. A lot of people won’t like hearing the truth not because the truth is harsh but because people don’t tend to like hearing they were wrong in their assumptions. For example the pros on the disk tend to believe that a business card should be pretty basic and provide needed information not overkill. You then go onto forums and people starting out have these ideas that their cards need photos and a list of every type of magic they do, they would insert video into their card if they could. The pros also tend to have websites because it is expected and don’t look at them as a means to an end. It is all very interesting. The effects are pretty neat, the bonus effect is off of Sean Mcrees, forgive spelling, Mixed n’ Mingle DVD, which is great, and worth seeing.

As a supporter of the idea that a DVD can educate as well as instruct I think this type of set is of real value to the magician who wants to enter the field of corporate or party magic for adults. The information also applies to restaurant magic as well. If it us purely restaurant magic you want to learn about check out some of the material from Kozmo Magic but also look into this DVD. If I was going to find any fault at all with this project it is that with the exception of Mcree the performers are rather oh hum and their words will be remembered by the viewer long after you forget their names, all of which with the exception of Sean I’ve already forgotten. It is a really good set of DVDs though and you guys starting up should watch it a few times. Well done.
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I agree that these are good discs.

Here's my review of Corporate Close Up II Volume 1:
http://magic.about.com/od/professionalma......corp.htm

Here's Corporate Close Up II Volume 2:
http://magic.about.com/od/professionalma......orp2.htm

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews