The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Power Word: FALL review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Had a chance to review and play around with this today. I've been doing all kinds of PK stuff for over ten years now and have no idea how in the heck this never popped into my grey matter.

In a word, this is brilliant.

Matt teaches several variations on the DVD and all of these look awesome and some are just freakin' impossible. Matt explains everything crystal clear, and includes not just the varied effects but also versions of FALL for the street and walk around.

If you like what you see in the demo, you'll like FALL.
scolman
View Profile
Elite user
Cape Town, South Africa
454 Posts

Profile of scolman
As a creator of elaborate props for bizarre performance, I am totally taken by the simplicity of the material on this DVD. As Bloodkin mentions above, the first thing that I thought was "Why hadn't I thought of this?"

The download and DVD are available here:
http://papercraneproductions.net/fall.htm and the cost ranges from $29.95 for the download to $39.95 for the download and DVD combo. Shipping to South Africa, which is probably as far away as you can get from the USA, was $9.85. (obviously no shipping charge for the download.

To begin with - Compatibility of the Downloaded File

I downloaded the material last night (its in WMV format which is designed for Microsoft Operating Systems) I use a Mac so I had initial concerns about being able to play it after downloading. To my relief I found a plug in that facilitates the file. If you have a Mac, download this application free first : http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_update_player.htm
The "Fall" file is 150mb so you do need a stable high speed connection.

Right now about the material:

1. The quality of the downloaded material/dvd is very good. The sound and picture are clear and Matt has a very good, relaxed teaching style that is easy to follow. I ordered the DVD - download combo and whilst the DVD has yet to arrive, I believe it has some menu functions etc, that the download doesn't have. This means navigation through the DVD will be easier.

2. You do need a little something extra to be able to try out your new found verbal power but its available from most magic dealers and many magicians will have it in their possession already.

3. There is some prep work involved before performing but I think with the right movements and misdirection the set-up can be achieved whilst the audience are in the room. Matt gives a few tips on how the set-up can be achieved in different settings. I particularly enjoy the fact that you can perform this outside.

4. The method allows for repeat performances (without any great deal of re-setting) and Matt gives 6 variations on Fall, each one more impactful than the last.

5. I tried this out on my kids (they get the first performance of everything) and even though I've only had a couple of hours practice, they were fooled. My daughter is 9 and the first thing she does normally, is quickly pick up the object I've just moved/levitated etc. to see if there are any threads attached. Imagine her face when she found nothing. Adults are less likely to grab at something so this effect passes the inquisitive audience test!

6. The word "Fall" can be changed. I'm not sure why you'd want to though. Unless of course everyone on the planet buys this DVD and you want to stay ahead of the game.

7. There are some restrictions on the type of objects that can be made to fall. Don't think you can get the television to topple off the cabinet (which is quite fortunate really, or you'd not be able to finish watching the DVD!). The objects need to be relatively small and obviously they must be able to be "toppled". The objects used in the DVD are pens, permanent markers, ping pong balls, cards.
I have experimented with coins (standing on edge), sponge balls, tarot cards (being a bizarrist). I also put a bobbin of sewing thread on the table and got it to roll off the other side. This was particularly cool as I've been working on a story about the cobbler and elves for a kids show.

8. I recommend this to anyone that has an interest in PK or haunted type effects. With Halloween almost upon us, the download is a great way to get the magick ready on short notice.

9. I don't know much about Matt Sconce or Paper Crane Productions but if there is more like this to come, I think the magic community can only benefit.

Simon
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Great review Simon. Thanks for posting the link. Forgot to post one in my initial review.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of mayniac
Never mind sorry. I had mixed up something. Ignore this post.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
No prob! I look forward to more reviews! -Matt Smile
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 08:31, bloodkin wrote:
Great review Simon. Thanks for posting the link. Forgot to post one in my initial review.

Yes, agree....Great Review man.....
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
I perform at a family restaurant and was really hoping that "Fall" would be something that I'd be able to do in that environment.

Even though I was very impressed with Matt's thinking behind this effect, I was starting to get the feeling that this would not be the case. But half an hour into the video I breathed a sigh of relief as Matt teaches an impromptu version by Brandon Williams that I believe will make this work for me.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and will start messing around with it this weekend.

Always,
Rudy
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-10-31 19:01, ambassador365 wrote:
I perform at a family restaurant and was really hoping that "Fall" would be something that I'd be able to do in that environment.

Even though I was very impressed with Matt's thinking behind this effect, I was starting to get the feeling that this would not be the case. But half an hour into the video I breathed a sigh of relief as Matt teaches an impromptu version by Brandon Williams that I believe will make this work for me.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and will start messing around with it this weekend.

Always,
Rudy

The impromptu method is easier to find on the DVD as the menu setup lets you jump right to it. Sorry you had to wait so long, watching the download, before the relief came. Smile I look forward to hearing how this goes. -Matt Sconce
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
Just purchased this. I have had my eye on this the past few days. If there is one thing I would want to do as a mentalist, this is it. And now the anticipation starts. I feel like I'm waiting on my little orphan annie decoder!!! Great job on the preview Matt.
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
So there is a practical impromptu method?

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Just got this and agree totally with the review. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that". Very very devious. I too was relieved to see an impromptu version covered in the explanations. The impromptu version, in my estimation, is very practical. This one is a keeper for sure. After sufficient practice I cannot wait to perform this, I am sure it will get strong reactions. I think this would be a great follow on after P* touches.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2591 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I don't usually post reviews, but I just have to chime in. I just finished the download and all I can say is "Wow!" As a kid at heart I love superheroes and secret powers and watching this I kept thinking, this looks like Power...like Magneto from X-men...as a Christian I may do a thing like God and have little soldiers or something like the movie 300 wipe out with "Jesus" or something! So many applications are possible! I'm just excited about the DVD coming with the gimmick. Usually I may watch a DVD, be amazed but then get lazy about practicing. This demo had me laughing at some points with it and it made me want to practice. The only other time I felt this "power" was Mindbender with the card bending from Ellusionist. Super power with hardly any work. It really is a brilliant piece.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 19:13, MagicBrent wrote:
I don't usually post reviews, but I just have to chime in. I just finished the download and all I can say is "Wow!" As a kid at heart I love superheroes and secret powers and watching this I kept thinking, this looks like Power...like Magneto from X-men...as a Christian I may do a thing like God and have little soldiers or something like the movie 300 wipe out with "Jesus" or something! So many applications are possible! I'm just excited about the DVD coming with the gimmick. Usually I may watch a DVD, be amazed but then get lazy about practicing. This demo had me laughing at some points with it and it made me want to practice. The only other time I felt this "power" was Mindbender with the card bending from Ellusionist. Super power with hardly any work. It really is a brilliant piece.

I am very happy you like Power Word: Fall! I agree it makes you feel as if you have super powers. I appreciate the time you took to type the review and wish you the best with the effect! Smile -Matt Sconce
Thamiel
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Thamiel
I just watched this. I knew the methodology in the most general sense before I got the video, and puzzled as to how it could be executed. Nothing I could think of was able to replicate the effect. Once I saw the explanation, I was floored at how simple and sly the method was. If you think you know, to a degree, how its done, you're probably right...but I doubt you'll ever figure it out in its entirety. Its clever.

I probably won't use this frequently, as there are some small issues around locations and the ease in getting in and out of the effect, but am looking forward to the special times I do use it. Good job, Matt.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Thanks Thamiel! I am glad you like the effect. Have fun with it! -Matt Sconce
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
The web site says some "special items" come with each DVD order, but not with downloads. If I get the download, do I need the 'special items' for every application? Are they easily made or can they be bought at local stores ready to go?
Thanks, -E
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1319 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 13:53, ehands wrote:
The web site says some "special items" come with each DVD order, but not with downloads. If I get the download, do I need the 'special items' for every application? Are they easily made or can they be bought at local stores ready to go?
Thanks, -E

PM sent
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-11-07 16:10, Dr. Eamon wrote:
More here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=120

This is great stuff!!

Thanks! I am honored people are enjoying the effect! Hooray!:) -Matt Sconce
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-11-02 10:15, will4gzus wrote:
Just got this and agree totally with the review. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that". Very very devious. I too was relieved to see an impromptu version covered in the explanations. The impromptu version, in my estimation, is very practical. This one is a keeper for sure. After sufficient practice I cannot wait to perform this, I am sure it will get strong reactions. I think this would be a great follow on after P* touches.

Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying Power Word Fall. Let us know of any great stories that happen when you perform it. -Matt Sconce