The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: A Host Of Surprises DVD by Rachel Colombini (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
427 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
Rachel Colombini first DVD: Card magic, close-up, parlor and stage; tricks for everyone! Included is a special guest appearance by Fantasio.

Here are the routines:

Zodiac Code (Rachel & Aldo Colombini): You show seven glasses covered with colored bags. One card and one glass are selected. The selected card is revealed in the selected glass. The other glasses are full of money!

My opinion: The principle involved in this trick is interesting for magicians-mentalists. The trick in itself needs improvement in my opinion but it has a lot of applications and I guess you can find many variations to make it more effective. I don't really like the presentation but the principle is pretty clever.

Wild Card Cash (Rachel Colombini): Two Jokers shown front and back. A bill (money) appears between them.

My opinion: A good and quick illusion that you may include in a whole money routine. Not my cup of tea as a magician but the handling is clever and the gimmick is not hard to make.

Perfect Prediction (Rachel Colombini): A spectator deals cards and stops anywhere; you predicted that card. You can repeat with different cards.
My opinion: Another Al Koran deck application. You can show the plastic wallet where you hide the prediction before you start the trick. Nevertheless, I prefer "Knock 'em dead" by Peter Nardi.

Countdown (Aldo Colombini): Twelve cards and three colored numbers. You deal the cards according to the numbers arranged by the spectator, eventually selecting one card. This card was predicted and all the other cards are blank.
My opinion: A very good self-working trick. I like the principle behind it. This trick is sold separately for 10$ so it's a real gift to get it on this dvd. Even if you don't have the required cards, you can adapt it to fit your own style. The blank cards and the jumbo prediction are optional. You can do the same trick with one black card among red cards and use an Ace, a 2 and a 3 of any kind.

Phone Zone (Peter Duffie): A trick that you can do over the phone!
My opinion: Limited like most of these card tricks over the phone. Peter Duffie is one of my favorite magicians but I don't really like this trick.

Wishes And Dreams (Rachel Colombini): A two-card revelation routine in rhyme!
My opinion: The spectator selects two cards and has the choice between two shapes. He places one shape on a card and the other shape on the other card (no force). The predictions reveals the chosen cards with the appropriated shapes. The routine is simple but the trick is pretty clever. The double prediction makes this trick strong.

Divin-Ace-Tion (Max Maven): An easy and strong way to produce the four Aces from a regular deck.

My opinion: another four aces production. Not a magician's fooler but the routine is entertaining.

[b]Ken's Klock (Ken de Courcy): A deck and an arrow (clock hand/paddle). A spectator chooses a card. That card appears on the clock hand and it is the only odd colored card in the deck.

My opinion: The clock principle with an original presentation using the paddle move. I prefer not to use extra accessories so it's not for me but it's not a bad effect.

[b]Dice It Up
(Aldo Colombini): Comedy with a deck of cards and four dice having math symbols on them.
My opinion: I don't really like tricks based on these gag cards. I found it boring and not very entertaining.

Rider (Fantasio, performed by himself): A funny and unique comedy gag where the card box slides on the table as if it were…, alive!

My opinion: A funny and easy-to-build gimmick. It's just a joke but I find it funnier than the trick above. You will laugh at the effect and how it's done.

Conclusion : recommended. For 10$, you have one or two very good routines and I discovered many new clever principles. I don't use all of them but you can come with interesting variations. Not the best 10$ DVD from Aldo, but again, for this price, you're not stolen.
NEW E-BOOK! Sneak: 12 card tricks based on the same principle.

https://www.lybrary.com/rapha%c3%83%c2%abl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322