The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stars of magic 1-9 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Looking into getting this series, mainly for the paul Harris but wondered if anyone else has these and are they value for money
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Paul Harris material is what you'd expect: A+. I Love the Eric Decamps DVD. Very strong, commercial magic. And of course David Roth delivers his superb coin material.
Those were my favorites from the set.

It's an important set to see guys that aren't with us any longer; Dingle, Bilis, Garcia...
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 03:59, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
It's an important set to see guys that aren't with us any longer; Dingle, Bilis, Garcia...

For the record: Bernard Bilis is still alive and kicking, Chris.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oh, my. OUCH. Bad form on my part. I mixed him up with Mr. Bertram .Thank you for the correction. If I had his e-mail, I'd apologize to him.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"
...Mark Twaine

jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
Don't hesitate... do it...

The only stuff I didn't like too much was the Garcia stuff.

I'm preparing for the flaming arrows coming my way.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
At the time, they were The New Stars of Magic. Smile

Jeff, I can understand, I did like the Bull's Eye. At that time the Black Hole plot had not been overly done, and the routine was just so much fun to do. (No flame, no arrow, just a Bull's Eye)

Tony
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff, we all have our likes and dislikes. Garcia has a certain, old school style, that isn't for everyone. His sponge ball moves are quite good. I have an old video filmed just showing his hands ( the man with the million dollar hands ) and he has some great card work. In 20 years you may watch him again and like him.

Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Sorry if this sounds dumb but are the dvds instructional or performance only?

17 hours is a long time if I get all 9 but with a set of nights coming up and 7 nights of 12 hours it could be just what I need!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I have them on VHS.

Paid $77 each back in the day. (I think)

Lots of meat and no filler.

Great stuff!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 13:41, Purist wrote:
Sorry if this sounds dumb but are the dvds instructional or performance only?

17 hours is a long time if I get all 9 but with a set of nights coming up and 7 nights of 12 hours it could be just what I need!

Performance and instructional. Seriously... this purchase is one of the best for the money... As soon as I heard they were in a DVD set, I bought them... no hesitation, and I already owned many of them on VHS.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I only have the Paul Harris and David Roth sets but they are pure gold! Tons of classic Harris stuff!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
That's my main reason for the Harris sets

ive got AOA 3 and looking to get the others but would like a follow along guide to help as well.

right I'm gonna get them
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
Hey guys... thanks for not burning me at the stake on the whole Garcia thing... My problem is that my introduction to Garcia was video near the end of his life (the stars of magic)...

My understanding is that as a young guy he was a stud performer, and his writings were legendary... None of which, I'm ashamed to say, have I ever read. Mainly because I was turned off by his video.

However, several people over the years have convinced me to read Frankie, so it will be done.

By the way, Chris, I'll second that on Mr. DeCamps... I love his stuff on the Stars of Magic... His ring and rope.. wow!
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Really a great set.

The Dingle DVD has some wonderful stuff, and DeCamps has an interesting multiple selection/Card in Wallet routine that is very interesting. As is his ring and string routine.

The Roth and Harris stuff are obviously valuable.

Good stuff all around and well worth the money.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Frank Garcia's "Super Subtle Card Miracles" and "Million Dollar Card Secrets" are two of my all-time favorite magic books. I highly recommend them IF you can find them.

Robert
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5488 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Robert, I completely agree with you. Top notch magic (and a pretty darn good Arroz Con Pollo, as well)!
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 16:56, Robert M wrote:
Frank Garcia's "Super Subtle Card Miracles" and "Million Dollar Card Secrets" are two of my all-time favorite magic books. I highly recommend them IF you can find them.

Robert

Agreed. I love those books. I also liked Garcia's work on the Star's DVD as well.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I bought the whole set (9 DVDs) and I like them a lot. Excellent magic and magic from "old times". It´s so nice to see these excellent performers in action.

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Eric Decamps has nice routines in there and admittedly the ring and rope routine is very good except maybe for the double threading which would probably not fly everywhere and, since that, some great creative moves have been discovered by various magicians. Unarguably his routine could serve as backbones to other routines
Even though I have a problem with Paul Harris's showmanship and patter, his effects are extremely good: he really is a genius at creating great effects with fairly simple means, and it shows in these DVDs.
Bernard Billis presentation of open travellers is seamsless.
Frank Garcia was extremely commercial for the people in his time and this is why, time having changed, he is almost a classic but no longer fashionable. For decades, his book on the C&Bs, superbly and generously illustrated by Richard Kaufman was the reference and contains lines that would work splendidly today (this would be a change from many "recent" routines).
David Roth's presentation are as impeccable then as he performs them today (what an early maturity! I'm amazed by that as well: there is something magic there as well).
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Yes Nesnarf, I think that's how much they were. They were probably some of the first tapes released. I think they are all great, still. Even the Garcia stuff.
Some good work on the cups. You can certainly find a lot of strong and workable
material even by today's standards. Paul's classic stuff, David's coin work, Eric's material including his Wild Card. Bilis has some good stuff, too. Not to mention Dingle.