The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: "Menu of Miracles" - The new DVD set from rsvpmagic.com (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

I thought you'd like to know about a brand new two DVD set that we're about to release. Called "Menu of Miracles", it stars James Prince who is a leading restaurant worker here in the UK. For the first time, James releases his favorite routines, including his "Ring in Pepper-Pot" and "Shoot the Kiwi" (An easy-to-do version of Bill In Kiwi in which the spectator can open the Kiwi and take the signed note out themselves!). He also gives some great advice on working restaurants dealing with how to get the best venues, right thru to dealing with tips and customers. There's also a superb spectators signed card thru window, using no confederates or third-parties.

We predict that this DVD set will do for the restaurant magician, what our first DVD, "Corporate Close-Up", did for the corporate performer.

You can see the teaser trailers at my web site and read more detail on these great products. We're also offering a special pre-order price on both volumes for a short time. Release date is scheduled for the 10th July.

Best,
Russ
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Looks like another excellent video production from RSVP, starring James Prince.

James is a first class magician with a huge wealth of experience in close up restaurant magic. I'm sure these DVDs will become another best seller for Russ - my order is on its way.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello David,

Thank's so much for the support David, it's much appreciated.

I really do think that these DVDs will inspire others to raise their game. I think that this market seems to be very overlooked by a lot of magicians as not very lucrative. James proves that the opposite is true and it did take some persuading for him to do this project with us. The really great thing about these DVDs is that we shot James on just one night, with no staged reactions and no second takes. The explanations were shot upstairs after the restaurant had closed to the public and I think gives the whole production a really great vibe I personally was amazed at just how strong the reactions were, in conditions that are far from practical James really did show that he knows this side of our business inside out.

Best,
Russ
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Russ is currently the leader in quality magic DVDs. L+L have to play catch-up.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 22:40, Futureal wrote:
Russ is currently the leader in quality magic DVDs. L+L have to play catch-up.

Agreed, Russ has raised the bar. Britain has taken the lead in offering up quality magic performance and instruction on DVD.
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Very exciting Russ. I have a great deal of respect for your both your work and opinions as they have lead me to some of the best purchases I have ever made! Smile
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Thanks very much fo rputting this together russ, I'm just off to paypal now.....
I have a feeling this will be up there with the party animal and mix n mingle dvds!
Ian K
View Profile
New user
Hampshire UK
8 Posts

Profile of Ian K
I have worked alongside James on several occasions, and been aware of something called applause coming from his direction. Now with the release of this DVD set perhaps I'll find out why he is so popular, and busy. I'm looking forward to viewing them.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I thought I read somewhere that these were being sent out on the 7th july
has anyone got theirs yet?
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Matthew,

The DVDs will be shipped on Monday the 14th July when they are due to arrive with us. The first batch will be shipped on that day.

Best,
Russ
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Mr Stevens,

Feel free to go to http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&0

Warmest regards,

Martin

P.S. Please tell James that Martin Hall said Hello!
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Yes!
can't wait.....
thanks russ
cheers
matt
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the kind comments about James' work.

To everyone that has pre-ordered, the first batch of DVDs ship on Monday. Our special pre-order price will run through until Monday morning.

Best,
Russ
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
My set arrived on Tuesday and I'm very pleased with them.

I posted a mini-review here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&1

Iain.
frankw
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of frankw
First let me make two statements, I never heard about James Prince before and I think the restaurant culture in europe is different to the states.
I'm very surprised to see all this top notch material, practical, direct and entertaining. But all this wonderfull routines are only the half of this DVD's. All the essays about restaurant magic from how to find a restaurant up to the fees, will be explained. If you look for a job as a restaurant magician, than this information will help you to save a lot of trouble and you can start a successful time in restaurants!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I really want to buy these but I'm skint. Credit crunch and all!
Up_in_smoke
View Profile
Regular user
England
143 Posts

Profile of Up_in_smoke
Andi just stick them on the plastic and worry about paying for it later, I did, think of them as an investment that will pay for itself many times over
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I'm in debt up to my eyes. Maybe Russ will send me the DVDs for free?

If not then I'll buy them on 23rd October.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I´d like to ask why the crediting on the set was pretty much non existence? The travellers were pretty much all straight from Carl Cloutier and he was mentioned only as minor inspiration. Bill in kiwi is also straight from Cloutier but his name wasnt mentioned in explanation at all, only as inspiration in end credits. Packet card trick was extremely similar to Juan Tamariz four blue cards, no credit what so ever?!??!?!

J-M
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
I'd like to quickly address the 'non existent' credits on my DVDs.

Firstly I have an intense hated of performers putting material out without crediting their sources and so would be mortified if I have inadvertently failed to give credit where it is due.

Secondly I have already gone on record as saying that Carl Cloutier is my number one living magician (see my profile on Magic Week 2006), so I certainly would not want to short change him in any respect.

To address the specific points raised -

'The travellers were pretty much all straight from Carl Cloutier'

Carl's routine is quite brilliant and I am obviously familiar with it.
However when you break it down only two specific aspects from it have been carried forward into my routines.
One is Carl's use of the linked pocket and the other Gary Kurtz' empty hand manoeuvre - both credited, (it would be taking things a little far to credit Carl with using a move which he in turn credits to Gary Kurtz - we all stand on the shoulders of giants to a greater or lesser degree).
I can't give him credit for the concept as its generic and the repeat aspect is Jennings.
Carl uses a different 'in' to extract the travellers and his routine relies heavily on sleeving, whereas mine uses none.
All other moves and subtleties are either standard such as the DPS or my own - such as the moving two cards through the pocket to get one ahead, the top pocket steal and using the parked deck as a repeat feed to allow up to 6 travellers.

'Bill in kiwi is also straight from Cloutier'

This is almost funny, as any one who knows me will confirm that one of my favourite rants is the way in which Carl's kiwi routine has been ripped off wholesale on several DVDs with no credit being given.
My Kiwi routines are different in major respects -
The switch of the loaded kiwi for the kiwi in full view is totally different.
The kiwi can be handed out for inspection.
The kiwi can be given to the spectator so that he can extract the note himself.

In fact come to think of it - the only way in which this is similar to Carl's routine is that we both use kiwis! (and banknotes)

'Packet card trick was extremely similar to Juan Tamariz four blue cards'

I am unfamiliar with this routine but if anyone out there can point me to a source, I will be happy to compare and comment. Although it's raised the least interest of all the routines on the DVDs, my packet trick (Brainfreeze) is one of the most refined items on the DVD and performance tested to destruction, over a 30 year period. I would be very surprised if Juan's routine is that similar, other than maybe we used the same source routine but until I can see 'four blue cards' the jury's out.

Regards to all and thanks to those who have bought the DVDs

James Prince