The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Castle Routine DVD by Ed Ellis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This is the 5th DVD in a series of DVD's Ed has released. Do a search on the Café and you'll see the reviews. Everyone loves Ed's work on the Café and Online Visions has a review also:
http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0712castleroutine.html

Ed has a webiste, but I don't see a section that he sells the DVD's. All the shops have this.

Here's a clip of the new DVD..

Castle Routine

Here's what's on the DVD:

Take 5 - A five card lift using the continuum principle.

A Highly Visual Change Of Two Cards - In hand change away from the deck.

Turnover Pass - The aces are featured as masters of escape.

Ambitious Segment - Featuring a unique finale called The Fan Escape.

Card To Pocket - Variations on a classic.

Pitch Ace Display - A shocking change of a selection to four cards!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even though much of it is advanced card work, the teaching segments are broken down into small sessions and what seems like a knucklebuster for some of the moves, turns out to be not as hard as it looks ( not simple, you do need to practice ) and you can learn moves that you can ad to your existing routines pretty easily as you don't have to use Ed's routine.

And then we get to the killer routine: Ringnature - A borrowed ring captures their card and is rubber banded to it. They get the signed card, the rubber band and the ring back.

This is dead easy. It would be a great ending to a ACR.

On Youtube there is an updated version of Ringnature. If you have the DVD, you can figure it out.

Updated Ringnature
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
He now has a volume 6. It is titled "Magic Castle Performance Live." He does do a 20 minute performance act. Plus he teaches several other tricks and moves. The DVD is 75 minutes in length. I give it two thumbs up.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Ed Ellis Magic Vol. 5 The Castle Routine
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close Up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Ed Ellis has put out a series of magic DVDs on high end close up, mostly card magic, which are very good. Volume 5 is, as the title implies, a total routine as done by Ed at The Magic Castle. It is an interesting mix of four ace productions and some ambitious card type moves ending with a ring on a rubber band finding a signed card. The routine is about ten minutes long and is very entertaining and because of Ed’s unique and gutsy methods he fooled me at times. This routine is not for the faint of heart, you will need to practice and in some cases do a lot of practicing. Ed is an excellent magician and to be honest he does some things that I just, because of my short fingers, will never be able to do. That doesn’t mean I give up, I just re work things so I can do it, for example I cannot spin a card held between my thumb and fore finger, it hits my hand every time. This is a worthwhile routine to learn in whole or in part because it is beautiful to watch. The ending with the ring and rubber band is very nice and the way it is set up is pretty cool, in fact I had to watch it a few times to see what sneaky Ed was up to.

The quality of the DVD is excellent. Ed’s stuff is always high quality but he, or someone, really does a great job in editing and mixing hand shots with full front shots and the menus even look great. Who ever is doing the final product, be it Ed or someone else, they really enjoy doing all the bells and whistles of editing and thankfully they do it well. They do shots from the best angles and Ed does a really good job explaining things. The only problem I had, and it is with me more so than anything, is Ed is a lefty and he doesn’t, or I missed it, explain that he is doing things left handed and a right handed person can get confused trying to follow along. I have a particular problem with this because I am right handed raised in a left handed family so there are some things I do with my left because that is how I was taught but I also tend to lean toward the right hand, I’m a total mess.

If you want to learn some challenging and entertaining card magic then Vol. 5, The Castle Routine, is worthy of your attention, as is all of Ed Ellis’ material. Great magic, great production quality, another winner from Ed and crew.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ed Ellis is a fantastic performer and technician. I love his style and material!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier