The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: John Luka's New DVD! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
John Lukas new DVD will be hitting the market in the next few weeks. It's called "Uncovered", and includes some of Johns favorite routines hes been performing professionally for the last 2 decades plus some new stuff...6 card effects, a 3 ball effect that's very,very commercial and a brand new 3 coin effect that just kills!

Look for this to be out sometime in mid to late March.

You're going to love it!

Kozmomagic is also releasing a Geoff Williams effect called, "The I hate David Copperfield" trick...it's a 1 trick DVD for $20 retail...it's a killer effect off his Miracles For Mortals set. It's Geoffs handling of Larry Jennings Close Up Illusion, and it just kills! $20

Also, we're currently editing a new project with Karl Hein who brought you all Heiny 500...it's called Hein's Catsup, it's his International 3 Fly routine...it's a 5 phase effect ...for you coin guys, get ready, killer!

I also wanted to point out the Reel Magic Quarterly is going to be starting with the April issue "reel magic quarterly plus", we are going to be putting out 6 issues a year versus 4...there will be updates at http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com over the next few days....Bill Malone in the April issue.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John Luka is that talented fellow from Reel Magic Quarterly #3 and performer and taught his “The Invisible Palm”. I would like to see more of this feelow.

I'm excited to see Karl Hein's International 3 Fly. I still feel having coins of different denominations make a stronger trick. SO this is exciting news.

I have the Miracles For MOrtals DVD set ( Killer magic ). Is the new "The I hate David Copperfield" trick taken from that or reshot?

And...would it be possible to have more Chris Capehart down the road? Maybe him doing busking. I just can't get enough of that guy.

Kozmo, thanks for the great update!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Its the same effect just put out as a single trick! there is a lot of folks that want just one efect and the geoff williams thing merits that....i know a lot of guys already have this effect BUT there are a lot that don't

chris and I are always talking about new projects....by the way I'm doing a project on my street act....and it will be out late summer likely....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Larry Jennings close up illusion is a classic and I love Geoff's take on it. It's amazing how much magic you can get out of 3 cards. Geoff's "ELECTRICAL ARTLET" could have been relased as a single effect also.

Kozmo, I know everyone interested in busking just sat at attention reading that you're doing a project on your act. Summer can't come fast enough just to see that!!

Thanks for the gerat updates ( and teasers!! )

A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
John Luka is a "class-act" and a fanastic close-up magician. His new DVD should be fabulous in every respect...can't wait for this one to come out.

A.J.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
590 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Christopher and A.J.,

Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time working with Kozmo on this dvd project. I can honestly say that I learned a lot from this experience.

Kozmo is a perfectionist which makes it worthwhile. I have probably not worked as hard on magic as I did with Kozmo on this project. However, it was enjoyable doing it. The bonus is that I got to see Kozmo work. So, I consider myself very lucky to get a sneak preview of Kozmo's "street act project". What I saw was about twenty minutes of none stop laughter mixed with some really strong magic. This guy, Kozmo, is definitely no slouch.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-02-18 20:07, Motor City wrote:
Christopher and A.J.,

Thanks for the kind words. I had a great time working with Kozmo on this dvd project. I can honestly say that I learned a lot from this experience.

Kozmo is a perfectionist which makes it worthwhile. I have probably not worked as hard on magic as I did with Kozmo on this project. However, it was enjoyable doing it. The bonus is that I got to see Kozmo work. So, I consider myself very lucky to get a sneak preview of Kozmo's "street act project". What I saw was about twenty minutes of none stop laughter mixed with some really strong magic. This guy, Kozmo, is definitely no slouch.

"Motor City" is John Luca?

Now I have to go through my posts to see if I ever told "Motor City":

"Sir, have you ever performed professionaly???" lol!

John, I love your work and am looking forward to see what else you have up your clever sleeves!!

Christopher

Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
590 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Christopher,

Don't waste your time with that search. No need for it as you are "clean." Again, thanks for the kind words.

I am honored that my lecture has been well received. The effects on the dvd are straight from my book, "Uncovered", and the lecture. I am very pleased that magicians seem to like the effects included in the lecture. With that in mind, I would like to think that they would equally enjoy the dvd since it contains those effects.

I consider myself very fortunate that Kozmo Magic invited me to shoot this dvd. IMO Kozmo Magic IS the premier video producer. Those who have purchased any video material produced by Kozmo Magic know this to be true. Kozmo Magic has done their job well. Let's hope that I have done the same.

John Luka
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
John,

looking forward to your DVD.

Andy
Cards never lie
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
I just looooooved the Michigan Monte when he lectured at our club. However, I'm a coin guy and am now a little disappointed that I didn't see the international 3-fly routine. However, I did enjoy his 3 ball routine.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Kozmo

You should post this on SideWalk Shuffle

I'm doing a project on my street act....and it will be out late summer likely....
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
This really is a great DVD.

I wish more DVD's were filled with such 'workers'. When a working pro does a DVD, it's content is usually filled with quality effects, and this DVD represents that concept.

I've noticed that many effects on DVD's lack practicality. It's fine to load your pockets for one effect for the camera, but out in the real world, it's hard to commit that pocket space for one effect, or stack the cards, or whatever.

But when you see a DVD like Mr. Luka's, you can tell these are the effects he performs over and over again. He's opening the vaults for you.

I wouldn't recommend this for beginners though. I'm a hobbyists and a few of the effects were beyond my skill level.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This is one of my "put on the shelf, never sell" DVD's.

Here's a review I did: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

I don't work for John or Kozmo, they don't pay me, they didn't send me the DVD ( I feel like those political "I approved this message " ads ) I don't own a shop, I just love magic and order as much as I can and from that, try to improve what I do.

Please check the for sale area as I'm sellimng stuff so...I CAN BUY MORE MAGIC!

A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
This DVD by John Luka is filled with great magic...all things that John does in the real world. If you want magic that is tested, strong, and practical on every level, this is a must buy.

Highly recommended.

A.J.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1163 Posts

Profile of Corbett
I have John's book by the same name, and it is definitely full of fantastic material. I also saw John lecture on this material recently. John is a very classy and polite guy. The routines are not knuckle-busters, and he explains them very thoroughly. For me, the biggest take-away for me was his card to wallet routine. I perform this routine "routinely," and the reactions are also great. His chromo balls routine is also very good. All the stuff is good. If you are considering this DVD, you will not be disappointeed.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
If your looking for great material to use in real world situations, this is the DVD to buy. Most magic DVD's today have one or two good routines at best and are packed full of fluff (at least in my opinion). 'Uncovered' is full of workers and in my opinion is the best buy out today. I can't recommend John's DVD enough. The descriptions are done very well with step by step detailed explanations and it's a great addition to John's book of the same name.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dang you Ted! I have it on my table now and have to watch it. I really enjoy John Lukas work from LINT and Uncovered. He is a worker.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
If you already have Lint and Uncovered, you will find a routine not previously published (to my knowledge) on this DVD. It's a nice added benefit and of the same caliber as the rest of John's material.

I do have to disagree with 'taller8' though - most of John's effects (in the DVD) can be done by hobbyists as long as you give each one the appropriate practice time. I can only think of two (perhaps three at most) effects that may be too advanced on first glance - and even then, the principals have value for other effects so the tricks aren't that far out of reach.

In the end, you have to decide what you want. Do you want strong, proven magic and value for your purchase? If that's the case, buy Luka's book and DVD as you can't go wrong.

Dollar for dollar, Luka's books and DVD are worth more than the price compared to other items on todays market.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
590 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Thank you A.J., Corbett, Mr. Muggle, MagicSanta, Christopher, Andy, Peter, and taller8 for your kind words about "Uncovered."

I am very happy that most of the remarks and reviews I have heard about both my book and dvd have been positive.

I believe the reason for that is the magic has really been TESTED in the real world. Being a hobbyist most of my life has caused me to constantly look for effects that play well. When I find them, I really cherish them.

Several times I have come home after doing one of the effects in "Uncovered" that I had not performed in a while and have said to myself, "That reaction was great. I forgot how strong that effect plays".

It is really a good feeling when you can do that. More importantly, it really gives one confidence in one's material. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have confidence in your material.

John Luka
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I have just watched John Lukas new dvd and have to say that is one of the best dvds chok full of practical commercial magic that I have seen in a long time.
His approach to in the hands triumph is beautiful and so well motivated.
His card to wallet is an extremely strong handling based on a Mendoza routine that I can see a lot of people using.

John has a lovely handling on Vernons repeat card to pocket called the airplane trick.
His 3 ball routine is the best one I have seen and does not go on forever thank goodness.

He also has work on the Biddle effect which is well worth checking out.
Also, John has a brilliant handling of an assembly based on Daryls diamond bar which is soo clean and very strong.

My highest recomendation.

Best

John Carey