The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Magic with Rubberbands - Dan Harlan (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if this series is worthy of purchase. 3 dvds on rubberbands sounds strange and original, but are the tricks any good?

Thanks in advance,
Maxim.
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I enjoyed them very much. A lot of impromtu magic. There are a few I preform regular. They come in real handy when your in a office envinronment. I like to be able to do magic in any situation and this covers 1 of them. Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
The series is very good but unless you want to be known as Mr. Rubberband, buying all three may be overkill.

Pick up a copy of Harlan's Bandshark video. It has all the RB magic you'll ever need!

Bill
William Holcomb
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
Hey does he perform these tricks in front of a large audience or is it more up close and personal (á la Michael Ammar)?
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I have seen one of the Dan Harlan rubberband videos, and he's performing for a group of 2 or 3 people.
Joshl2000
View Profile
New user
Berkeley CA
9 Posts

Profile of Joshl2000
I had these DVDs and thought I was going to be the band king. But after all was said and done it was overkill. How many rubber band effects are people going to sit there for? On the tape the two girls keep oohing and ahhing over all the tricks. And I respect Dan for knowing so many. But I think that a few basic ones will be enough for me. Some of his are quite elaborate and rubber band magic is far from impromptu. You need the right rubber bands, which can easily be purchased in an office supply shop. But you can't pick up any band and just go.

My problem is that I forget tricks if I don't perform them often. I do a lot close up magic but I tend to have a reportoire that I use and switch things in and out.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I have all three of rubberband vid's and I think they are great buy.They have a varied assortment of tricks and if you are worried about rubberband overload don't do but a couple of effects then move on to different types of effects.The tapes are worth the money. Smile
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
If I can afford only one video tape? Which one will you all point me to? I ve heard some good things about volume 1? Is it the same as "The Bandshark"?

Thx very much!

Hirase
In love with magic!
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I believe that Dan Harlans rubber band series tape is the only tape that teaches all sort of rubber band tricks.

I had the vol 1 and it is interesting...

Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Vol 1 is well worth getting as it has Mark Fitzgeralds effect " Back Together " plus the vanishing of a rubberband in CMH, Smile
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
They are good video's. I only use a select few of the routines but the information is great. Interesting stuff.
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 38: Magic with rubber bands videos vol. 1, 2, 3 – Dan Harlan

AD:

Dan Harlan, an innovator in rubberband magic, has organized this video into sections featuring complimentary methods to form fully developed routines. The instructions make these effects nearly effortless to learn! It's easier when you actually see the tricks done and explained by a professional magician!

Vol. 1 includes: Rubber Cuffs (yes, THAT rubber band trick where one rubber band seems to pass right through another), Back Two-Gether, Soft Spot, Twice As Crazy, Crazy Link, Crazy Twist Vanish, Card Cuffs, Climbing Ring, Snap Two, Post Modern String Art, Appearing Band, Band Parenthood, 2 to 1 Join, Recurring Nightmare, 1 to 2 Split, Multiple Appearance, Tongue Tied, Hindu Bands. 18 effects in all!

Vol. 2 includes: Pseudo Wrist Penetration, Thumb Twist, Finger Twist, Deck Twist, Delayed Snap and Penetration, Hypnotic Link, Missing Link, Breakaway, Breaking Up the Band, Spread Suspension, Resonance, Knot Restored, Pans, Stranded

Vol 3 includes: Rubber Morph, Willy Worm, Penetrating Matches, Snap Back, Spaghetti Up Nose, Jump Switch, Boomerang Band, Star, Starweaver, Latter Ladder, Timezones, Cash Delay, Acrobaticlip, Jumping Rubber Band, Twist-On, Delayed Jump, One-Armed Band-Up, Doublejointed (Penetration), Jumper Stumper, Emergency Pull, Mass Vanish to Ball

REVIEW:

There’s a whole bunch of weak puzzles in these tapes, but with some practice you will surely be able to come up with 5 minutes of solid close up magic. The best single rubber band item in the magic circuit is still, IMHO, Michael Ammar’s Classic Renditions Vol. 2 (just compare his CMH with Harlan’s version); for those interested in creating full RB routines, Mr. Harlan’s tapes are still worth a look.

Overall rating: acceptable

H.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
i must jump in here a bit......for those who got vol.3, there is a routine called travelling time zone or travelling cash(2 version), where a borrowed note is visibly melt through four strands of rubber band, & no gimmicks involved, just pure simple twist of 2 rubber bands.

IMO,this is better than CMH. i dun know what others feel, but i was rather quite surprised that no one mentioned this rubber band effect at all(sorry if i have made a mistake). it has become my pet effect, & instead of a borrowed note(no switches), a borrowed watch can also be used to melt through 4 strands of rubber bands. this effect is worth the price of a single vol.3, due to its simplicity.

just take a look a vol.3, & u will know what i mean. superb
never try, never know
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
sounds like rubberband ladder to me???
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Zednanreh
View Profile
Loyal user
Miami, FL
211 Posts

Profile of Zednanreh
Travelling cash was originally Greg Wilson's idea, but he just "gave" it to Dan to play with and use for the tapes. Greg did it with a watch instead of money. He talks about its "history" on Off The Cuff.

- Alex

PS. The tapes are my bread and butter!
So you want to market or sell your trick? Before you do, read this!
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
yup, it's also called rubberband ladder.
never try, never know
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I bought volume 3 to find a third effect to add to CMH and Jay Sankeys' Unleaded. There are alot on this video it will take me some time to try a few and narrow it down.
Smile