The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Any thoughts on the FLIP DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Has anyone watched the FLIP DVDs?
Thoughts?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Sadly I have to admit that they are one of the most boring dvd´s ever made. And that is perfomance and material wise... I just looked em all thru (the never L&L 7 dvd set) few weeks back when I was looking for some material that I might have misslooked, but really in whole 7 dvd´s there was maybe 3 things worth working for. Makes me really wonder howcome he is supposed to be such a legend???? I just don't get it. The 3 things was his handling of fantasio color changing lighter, bottle production from paper bag and I allready forgot the 3rd one. I think it was some card move.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Frank,

I have 3 of these DVDs, Volumes 1 & 2 (close-up) and Volume 5 (parlor). I have quite a different opinion regarding these DVDs than Korttihai_82. I thought Flip was quite charming and had many strong ideas.
You also need to keep in mind that flip is Dutch and probably more use to presenting the material in his native tongue instead of English. With that in mine he did a fine job considering the number of effects he performed and explained for a 6 DVD set. It must of been grueling.

Here then are some of the items that really stood out for me. I also like his Color Changing Lighter routine and Champaign Production. I also liked Fishes, a really nice ring on string/rope effect, his two coin fold ideas, Push Button Magic, a routine with a coin purse, Folded Card Color Change, Envelope Penetration,
Spirit and Identitrick just to name a few.

Flip is an older gentleman and performs like someone his age. And that's OK. The thinking is solid and I think you will find some good ideas here to use. Hope this helps.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
One person did not like them, the other "flipped" over them.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
NICE!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
In a way I believe that Flip is somewhat similar to Pavel. Other people find him borind and dull and others can see past this and really respect the thinking behind his effects. Also they are in my opinion similar in case that both have some good material, but it is hidden in so much obious or hardly mediocre material that its easy to miss these gems. In Flips case I watched all 7 dvd´s in 2 days so it is possible that I missed something, but you must also consider that reviews are also affected by the reviews personal knowledge and that is easily the biggest thing that affects their review. In my case I have been into magic over 15 years and seen and read a lot so there wasnt much new or orginal for me in this serie. However it doesn't mean that it would be same for someone else. Someone might rave even penguin products when to more experienced they are familiar from 30 year old books where there is better versions of same plots.

J-M
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Korttihai_82, I understand where your coming from. And your right about a reviewers personal knowledge and experience will effect his review. Having been involved in magic for over 30 years, I have lot to draw from. Since I own some of these DVDs, I didn't have to watch them all at once. And I was able to watch several times before formulating an opinion. I didn't like everything on these DVDs, but I did find 4 or 5 effects or ideas per DVD that I really liked and wanted to give Frank (the original poster) my thoughts.

Craig
– Karl Germain
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thanks guys. so what exactly is "air billiards"?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6146 Posts

Profile of motown
Sorry Frank, I've never seen that volume.

Craig
– Karl Germain