The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Reel Magic Quarterly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Note: since this is a DVD I'm putting this review here.

Title:Reel Magic Quarterly
Medium: Magic Journal on DVD
Arena: Various
Available: Any shop, http://www.reelmagicquarterly.com, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Let me start by asking you a question, sit down and really give this some thought.

:”why don’t you have a subscription to this DVD journal?”

When I first heard of this coming out, the first issue was in July, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I didn’t know if it was a set of files like an e-book to read or video or a mix, not sure at all. I did know that Kozmo Magic was behind it and they do an excellent job on their products and figured this one should be interesting. I also heard from the guys at the Castle that Paul Harris and David Regal were being filmed for it so it went from interesting to really interesting. The cost is minimal, only a few bucks more per volume than a copy of Genii Magazine, I’m talking $40 a year for four DVDs….that is inexpensive by any measure. The whole question came down to how good this first volume was and I admit I don’t subscribe, yet, but luckily each issue can be found at good magic shops and you can check it out before you subscribe, and I think you will.

The production level is top notch. Even the cover of the DVD holder is nicely put together, not just the name ‘Reel Magic’ or anything like that. Everything in the DVD or Emagazine, someone needs to tell me what to call this, is done very well. The camera work is very good, the angles changes to get the best shots for example when John Lovick explains his favorite bill switch. The sound is constantly good throughout the project and the editing is great. They even took the time to do graphics and good stuff like that to make each section distinct and creative. I’ve always found the DVDs from Kozmo Magic to be well done and this is another example of the detail and effort to product a quality product by them. If they can keep this up, and I’ve no reason why I don’t think they won’t, they may face a problem of producing enough product! I’m sure that is something they look forward to dealing with.

The way the issues are set up is kind of like a news show like 20/20 but without a host. The segments are divided by commercials that are usually the downloads you can get on line, those are the advertisers. I do have one issue here, one commercial was that self tying shoe lace from Penguin. Love the routine, Penguin is a fine company, but when that kid Jay gets to the end of the commercial and says ‘Self tying shoelace…boo!” I just wish I was there with a baseball bat to know him off the bench he is on….yeah, that would be sweet. Back to the issue. So you have segments divided by these cool commercial type things. This issue the cover guy is the one and only Paul Harris, let’s take a look at all the segments.

They open with John Lovick talking about how he came to write his book on bill switches, which I found interesting, and why it took five years to finish. He then added mud to the history of the bill switch, again interesting stuff. John showed and explained his favorite switch, one that doesn’t use a thumb tip. His explanation was clean and clear and very nicely shot.

Choice Cuts was a segment on DVD reviews by Wayne Kawamoto from magic.about.com and he did a good job. I really don’t know who he is but he spoke well and his choices of DVDs to review were good, including one of my favorites the Paul Potassy DVD.

Garrett Thomas, who continues to impress me, did a segment on coins that I found very interesting. He is knowledgeable and speaks well. I found this fascinating because even after he explained what he was doing, which wasn’t what I thought, he was still able to trick my poor old brain. I hope he is a regular contributor.

Andrew Pinard, a very talented magician from New Hampshire, did a great interview with the always interesting Harry Lorayne. Harry discussed how he got into magic, his old days in NYC and how he broke into the circle of guys like Dai Vernon, and then how he came to be a memory expert. I’m glad they thought of doing this and Harry sounded great and alert.

David Regal, who is one of the funniest men I’ve ever met, did product reviews. They were interesting, funny, and entertaining. It is hard not to like David Regal, he is one of the young lions of magic and I can picture him being 90 and wowing them at the Magic Castle in Norman Oklahoma, which is where it likely will end up, and having them rolling in the aisles.

You get Paul Potassy doing his bill to potato routine, very cool and not as messy as a lemon. Taken from his DVD.

Dan Tong shows and explains the chop cup routine as found on his DVD set Finally, very nice routine.

Lastly we have Paul Harris discussing his views on technology, mastery, and technology. While I have problems with Paul releasing every thought he has, regardless of it being a good one or not, he does understand magic and the presentation of magic. This was a fascinating segment and I watched it a couple times. Paul does have a solid perspective on magic and he appreciates the difference between performing in a casual, living room, type situation with family or friends vs theatrical performance even if your theater is the top of a table or a street corner.

That is it for episode one, all two hours of it. I expected it to be good, it turned out to be outstanding. I’m not sure who all is behind this other than Kozmo but hats off to everyone, great job all around. Oh, before I go the last time I spoke to Simon Lovell he told me he had filmed some stuff for a future episode and that he had lots of fun. I’m really looking forward to see what is to come.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
So you received it. Cool.

I am waiting mine.

Sounds good. Smile
To believe is Magic.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I just ordered. Can't wait.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for the review . . .
Cards never lie
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Good review!

I enjoyed the Reel Magic Quarterly DVD, too. Why hasn't someone done this before? What a great idea!

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Paul Harris again after a long absence. I think he makes a great point about letting the magic be the focus - not the magician.

John Lovick's explanation of his favorite bill switch was crystal clear. And, the story of how the book, "Switch", came about was interesting.

And, as I watched David Regal reviewing the tricks / displaying the props (but not exposing the methods), I wished that someone had thought of this years ago. This is almost as good as walking into a brick and mortar magic shop and seeing the tricks demonstrated.

Robert
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
What month was the first issue?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
July
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
754 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Just the loop of David Regal's utter malice towards having to go back to his car for a piece of paper during the credits is worth the price of admission...

Had me rolling...
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
My dvd gets all crazy halfway through, I won't complain though, as I got it with an order from the astonishment project.
-Matt
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Matthew,

This is the first we have heard of this. Is it possible for you to return the disc to me? I want you to be a subscriber of the magazine and you wont if you don't see the value.

If you PM me I will send you one out right away.

Thanks

Koz
illusioneer
View Profile
Special user
NYC
754 Posts

Profile of illusioneer
Now that's customer service if I've ever seen it...
Things are about to change........ LIGHTS!!!
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
You beat me to it Koz. I was all set to send him a new one.....

Best
Jason
The Astonishment Project
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I just watched this again. My only hope is that enough people subscribe to this so that it continues on for years to come. It is only a couple months until episode two with Simon Lovell (I'm guessing since he said he was filmed a few weeks ago).

Koz or Jason, not sure how you are in this Jason but I'll ask, do you guys think you can interview someone like Richard Hatch about Erdnase? I'd also like to see betcha's get in there so we can run out after an episode to mess with people!
sheprendo
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of sheprendo
I have just watched this dvd and like others wonder why it has not been done before. It is excellent and well worth the money.
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Could not agree with the above comments. Reel magic Quarterly is very well done, what a great idea. A true value for only $9.00
Magic Mike Japan
View Profile
New user
Yokosuka, Japan (U.S. Mailing Address)
98 Posts

Profile of Magic Mike Japan
I watched my Reel Magic Vol. 1 twice this weekend. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the video/sound quality, magician line-ups, and balance between demonstration, commercial, and explanation. I particuarly enjoyed Paul Harris' scholarly explanation on Mastery versus Astonishment. Really got thinking about my act and what really matters TO TO THE AUDIENCE (not me). Keep up the great work Kozmo Magic. You've got a winner here.

Koz - if you're reading this - please don't overload future installments with too many video commercials. I believe having three explanations was just right for the price. My advice to any magician at any level is - order this right now and check it out!
"There's no limit to what one man can accomplish, as long as he's willing to let someone else have the credit." (These words were inscribed on a small brass plaque which sat on President Ronald Reagan's desk in the White House during his second term.)
<BR><BR
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This is fantastic. My only complaint: I wish the Paul Harris interview was longer.

Wonderful value for the money.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 10:31, Cameron Francis wrote:
This is fantastic. My only complaint: I wish the Paul Harris interview was longer.

I agree. His advice was gold and I've already started using it and it has made a difference.

FATNTASTIC DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
zerofire
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of zerofire
I just order mine as well, make me can't wait till see it after seeing so many good comment
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Being a genius I just noticed there is a banner thing that if you clicky on it it takes you to the reel magic web site. Who'da thunk it?