The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: You Ring? Vol. III by Ed Ellis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title:You Ring? Vol. III by Ed Ellis
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close Up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Ed Ellis strikes again with volume three of his series of DVD’s, I don’t know how many, if any, are coming down the pike. Ed, I learned, is out of Ohio but has played all over the place including the old Caesars Palace and The Castle. He bills himself as the worlds fastest magician, not sure how that is based or even if it is good but I guess it looks good on a business card. Ed is a very good slight of hand artist and he knows his stuff, as is once again exhibited on this volume.

The production quality is excellent. Everything is clearly shot and the sound is fine. A lot of attention went into the editing. Overall I had nothing to complain about. Before I get into the guts of the DVD I want to mention the extras. The DVD has an episode of a local TV show done by Ed in Ohio. Watch it because there is an amazing golfer on as a guest and I’ve never seen anything like this guy. You will also see lots of Ed performing table magic for real people in a real place and doing what I consider the unforgivable, performing for people while they are trying to eat. I know everyone is different but I consider it bad form and if you know Ed tell him to stop that right away, thank you.

The feature routine on this DVD is You Ring? This is a version of the rubber band penetration using a finger ring, Crazy Mans Handcuffs with the addition of the ring and a spec holding the ring. I actually did this same thing once just because I had a ring sitting there and decided to do it. Ed put thought into the movement and presentation, which I didn’t do, and it is an interesting change from CMH, which I still prefer, but if you have a ring out what the heck!

Rubber Band Through Thumb: Now we are talking cool! I knew what Ed was doing because I’m familiar with rope and string magic but never thought of using it with a rubber band penetration through thumb. This looks great and the table workers will like it while the street assassins and hallway hit men will be all in a lather once they get back to school. This is added to my rubber band magic list, excellent.

Rubber Band Through Ring: This is shown on the DVD box but it isn’t a routine and I’m thinking it was a simple error. This is just a component of You Ring? What is on the DVD but not listed is the Electric Card which is kind of a gag where you try to force a card in a funny way only the card is really out there for the spec to see. Looks good and it is the kind of things lots of magicians love to do for a laugh.

Say Vanish! Nice card routine where you have four cards selected and put the four aces into the card box. A rubber band is put on the deck where it vanishes only to reappear around four cards….the four aces, the selections having changed places with them. The idea of putting a rubber band on a deck then it penetrating to be around a selection is very old. This routine is a bit more developed than the old ones and the handling is very nice, well thought out. Another one table guys will like

Over all this is a very solid product and all the pieces are workers. The You Ring? ‘is an interesting idea but I still have to vote for Rubber Band Through Thumb as the one everyone will be doing. If you are a rubber band guy you will want this, if you do table work you might find it very interesting. Another job well done by Mr. Ellis and crew.
Ed Ellis
View Profile
New user
Ohio
11 Posts

Profile of Ed Ellis
Hello,
Ed Ellis here. Thank you for the kind words. I just wanted to say that I agree with your comments about not performing magic when people are eating and I even speak to that on "You Blue It". Unfortunately I was limited to 2 hours of filming and moving the crew around based on people who agreed to be on TV. Plus it's live! You never know who you are going to get on camera but nothing like real life!

I am glad you liked the long drive segment of the TV show. I debated about leaving that on the DVD but anyone out there with the same goals might get some good ideas from the entire show. You never know what talent might be in your own backyard!
Thanks,
Ed
www.EdEllisMagic.com
Vol 5 "The Castle Routine" now available!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I figured all that Ed, no way w/out the cameras and people wanting to be on TV would a pro do it (work while they are eating) and you are a pro.

Anything with golf impresses me. I tried it and it is way too hard for me.

You put out some killer material Ed....thank you.