The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review of Nabil's DVD "Link" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Any review for this new DVD, it looks good. It is essentially a CMH DVD.

Thanks,
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
terrick
View Profile
New user
IN
75 Posts

Profile of terrick
He said in the thread that it's about 1-2 weeks behind schedule, so it probably hasn't even shipped out yet.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Yeah, hasn't been shipped yet. I'd love to hear reviews once you guys get it!
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I have never pre-ordered before {there have been numerous horror stories regarding pre-orders}, but this looks so good and is something that I'll definitely use, so I took the plunge. It is my understanding that Nabil is a stand-up guy, so I feel confident with this one. I'll definitely post a review when this comes out. I wish him great success with this, as it looks to be a really excellent DVD.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
We (Murphy's and I) are also sending out copies to all the major reviewers. So you can read from your favorite reviewer. The first review to come out will most likely be in Street Magic.
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
Hi Nabil,

Is it still on Pre-order or is it already available?
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Hi Harm,

It's technically in preorder for me I guess because it isn't yet in stock. But it is due to arrive via UPS at my shipper on monday, so those who have preordered will be getting it very soon. Amazingly, it's already in stock at hocus-pocus.com! I guess Murphy's is just so much closer to the replicator, and hocus-pocus.com must be close to murphy's. That's the only way I can figure how they got it before me!

Also, I just "sold out" of the last copy that is being sent in this delivery to my shipper. I figured it would be enough for at least the first 6 months of release, but amazingly those are all sold now. So anyone who "preorders" from now will have to wait an additional while for me to get back in stock. If you want it NOW, buy from a dealer, because they will probably all have it at least a few days before I get my next shipment in. If you WANT to buy from me and are willing to wait alittle, that's nice too. Smile
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Link looks great Nabil especially the linking of the bands.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-07-20 12:51, nabil wrote:
Hi Harm,

It's technically in preorder for me I guess because it isn't yet in stock. But it is due to arrive via UPS at my shipper on Monday, so those who have preordered will be getting it very soon. Amazingly, it's already in stock at hocus-pocus.com! I guess Murphy's is just so much closer to the replicator, and hocus-pocus.com must be close to Murphy's. That's the only way I can figure how they got it before me!

MJM Magic is in Northern California, so they have it now also (and free shipping!!)

mjmmagic.com
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I can't wait for the reviews!
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks Mr. thehawk. Ooo, I see MJM Magic even put the video up on utube. Cool! Thanks to all the shops that are carrying this!
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
A good portion of this (linking bands, ring on band, linking finger rings) appears to be exactly the effect and method released by Dave Harkey over two years ago, called "Lynx". Hm.
It's all in the reflexes.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I have Lynx, but this looks more like Rubber Made by Daniel Garcia.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Yes, a friend of mine just told me that Harkey released something very similar to the Link gimmick. I haven't seen it, but he says it's also based on the principle used in the Koran pencil and Caveney's Impromtu Coathangers and more importantly, that it is used for the same sort of effects. I haven't seen Harkey's thing, but now I'm interested. Had no clue about it until about a week ago.

If your interested to know these things, the first magicians to see me do this would probably be Dec. 2001 around the time of my magic castle audition. Masahiro Yanagida (Shoot Ogawa's teacher) saw me do it at that time, as did Thomas Meier (I believe the youngest ever to win closeup at FISM), Barry Price (one of the judges at my audition), and Aldo Columbini (also a judge that night). Loren Michaels (my teacher) helped me refine my design and handling in the months prior. Also, I lectured on the design and applications in Tokyo in August 2002. Shoot Ogawa was the translator of that lecture, and I believe that lecture is on videotape somewhere, as they were filming me. Other then those two occations, I have kept it under raps and didn't perform for magicians at all. However, I believe from what others have told me that it predates both Daniel Garcia's and Harkey's thing. But then, Merlin Eifferts thing predates mine, and Koran's predates his. But I'm willing to bet that all of us came up with our unique takes in a creative and ethical manner. Smile
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
The clip of LINK looks really cool. One DVD teaches few different ideas with just rubberbands and rings.

I wonder, is the linking ring routine impromtu? It'll be supurb if all 3 rings are borrowed and can be linked together!
Best Regards,

Bob
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
David released "Lynx" at least 3 years ago and, as a longtime friend, I know for fact he was doing it for years before that.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Impromptu? No, it doesn't fit my definition of impromptu at all. You could have 2 gimmicks on you properly spaced and link 3 borrowed rings, but having gimmicks on you isn't impromptu at all in my book. Well, once you have the gimmick on, you can improvise with it. But impromptu? Sorry, no.

Well, all I can say regarding Lynx is that I truly hope our creations are unique in enough ways to warrant separate items. Before I left the states a few years ago, I had asked several people about my thing and they all thought it was unique. With the exception of the great Sylvester the Jester, who told me that as it's a modification of an existing principle, it is not a creation and doesn't warrant release. I politely disagree, as very few things in the world are entirely new principles. Curiously enough, he did suggest using another method to make the same effect, a method he used to link small pretzels. That is the exact method recently released by Daniel Garcia for the bands. But I'm sure it was independent creation.

No one told me anything about Lynx until this week. If they are exactly the same thing, then I can say at least for myself that it was independently created. If it is exactly the same, and all my work on it is exactly the same as his, then that really sucks. But I hope the other 75% of the material on the DVD is of some use.

By the way, that conversation the Sylvester was in December 2001 or early 2002 at the latest.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Independent creation, even if it is years after another came up with it (and that was likely after others before them) takes as much effort as others apply. You should be proud of your creation and I wish you luck with the product.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Nabil, I'm not calling your honesty into question. I don't know you, and I've no reason to doubt that you may have come up with the same idea independently. Certainly, this happens all the time in magic.
I'm simply stating what I know, for the record.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks for clearing that up, meauxfeaux. Do you know where I can get a copy of Lynx?