The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Incredible Self-Working Card Tricks Vol Five (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Incredible Self-Working Card Tricks Vol Five
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Wow. I could leave that one word as my review and it would cover my thoughts perfectly on this DVD by Mike Maxwell and his A1 Multimedia pals. In fact before I get into this I want it made clear, Mike Maxwell isn’t a friend of mine, he doesn’t like me very much based on our last encounter, so I’m not hedging this review for any reason other than it is a great collection of self working card tricks. The production, as we can expect from A1, the sound is fine and the camera work clear. Can’t ask for much more than that. Mike was wearing one of his shiny shirts I was glad to see, and yes, he really wears them in public.

Self working card tricks means those that require little skill but do require the ability to present magic. Some look down on these types of routines but they are often very mystifying and leaves the door open for you to make it entertaining. Self working does not mean it is bad magic, it is to the eyes of the spectator as strong as, if not stronger, than magic requiring hard core sleight of hand. If you assume you are too good for this type of card magic you are missing the bus and if you are new to magic and want some seriously good magic this is your golden ticket my friends. I will admit I’ve not seen all of the self working volumes but I find it hard to believe any are as solid as this one. There is a principle taught here that is so killer, works so well, I think now it shouldn’t be released to all of you because I want to keep it for myself. Let’s take a look at the material.

Stolen Cards:
Requires a special deck, one of those with 52 different backs, a deck was put out by A1 for this routine and it should be available. This routine has the spectators pick two cards and return them to the deck. You then show that they have amazingly not only returned them to the deck next to the only cards that have the same backs, they are the same value and suit, and the only cards in the deck possible to be matched up cuz all the rest are the same. This is a really good trick and the presentation makes sense.

Hummer Of A Trick:
If you figure out the math behind this one let me know. This would be fun tableside and can also be done with a mentalism angle if you come up with your own presentation. So mysterious I don’t know how it works but it does.

Hummer’s Revealed Mystery:
Takes some work to get to the punch but worth the trip. Another routine I just don’t get but works, BobHummer must be a fun guy considering how his mind works. This is one of those tricks that seems impossible but some how it works and it is a fun routine for the table or bar.

Mind Mirror:
This one is all about the production of the card. An old method is used but it still works.

Flight Of The Knave and the Queen:
Good routine that makes use of a verbal false count. I don’t know how it passes but if your rhythm is right it works.

Torn:
An interesting and mean way to determine a selected card. You’ll understand when you see it, played right it is a winner

Follow The Leader:
Great trick that while so easy you just won’t believe that it would work it not only works but it just flies past the spectators as far as method but it is also entertaining. Kind of like a mini version of Out Of This World. Watch the presentation then see if you can figure it out…if you do you are a better man than I am Gunga Din.

10 Hand Poker Deal:
This routine uses the principle I spoke of before. This is a gambling routine so it will interest people but the bonus is the evil behind the secret is so good it will make you giggle with glee. When I first saw this routine years ago it fried me and my father tipped me to the method. It should be noted my father knows nothing of magic but he is one of those sick math geniuses with degrees in physics, engineering, and geology, I’ve never seen a math based routine get pass him. This is a winner and I bet you’ll do it. Oh, and it is easy.

Cards Across:
You know the drill, easy and depends on that verbal false count I don’t have a lot of faith in but some how works.

Absolute Zero:
Another puzzler that is entertaining. Do it a few times to understand what is going on and then try it on a table of people at your next gig. Nice routine.

Spectator Cuts To Aces:
You know the routine, this is an easy method.

Super Closer:
JC Wagner is a genius. I learned this routine a couple years ago and fell in love with it. This is absolutely a closer, no way around it. Requires a stacked deck but that isn’t a problem and also makes use of the same principle I the 10 Hand Poker Deal but takes it to an amazing level. Look at the kickers….you have aces buried in cards shuffled by you and the specs. You spell to the aces…tada! Wait…not enough…you spell to the kings that match the suits of the aces…Viola! No! You are not done..you then spread the cards, the ones shuffled, and they are broken down in complete suits! At that point you stand up and walk away with the cards sitting there and you will be proclaimed a god. This is a brilliant routine and if it was the only one on this DVD it would be worth it because it is that good. All hail JC!

There you have it. Find this DVD where ever quality magic is sold, if they don’t have it have them call Murphys Magic Supplies and get it. Good job A1.