The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Thimble Dexterity - Joe Mogar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Joe Mogar has finally released his DVD "Thimble Dexterity". While it is a great companion to his book (titled “Digital Effects” written by Steve Beam) it is a complete stand-alone resource for thimble manipulation/magic. If you have both DVD and book then I believe that you don't really need anything else!

All of the basics needed are taught from the spectator’s viewpoint and again over the shoulder over the shoulder for ease of learning. There are a number of slow motion close-up views of particularly difficult moves.

Further, there are two moves on this DVD (both invented by Joe) that negate the need for holders. These two moves are worth the price of the DVD.

Finally, there are three complete routines taught. One of the routines is a twelve (12) thimble routine. Yes that’s right you start with nothing and end with12 thimbles! Get this you use NO holders!! It is a thing of beauty.

I doubt if there is anything else needed in learning basic thimble magic. This DVD and watching/reading some good routines should put one on his/her way to developing their own unique, entertaining, and magical routine.

I’ve spent two days watching, re-watching, learning, practicing, and cursing (my old hands can do the stuff it just takes effort! It‘s an old dog learning new tricks thing!!!). I thought I knew something about thimble magic and here comes Joe Mogar and shows me something new!

It was filmed by (and is distributed by) The Camirand Academy. It comes with four practice thimbles to get you started right away. You can buy it directly from Joe at: http://joemogar.tripod.com/

I consider this DVD and accompanying thimble set a good buy for the person wanting to get started in thimble magic and for the person wanting to improve their thimble magic.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Thanks for the review Mr Murphy! I'm eagerly waiting for mine!
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Got my DVD. Like what Mr Mruphy said, if you think you know about thimbles, think again! There is so much information here that can elevate your knowledge about thimbles more than you can imagine! The DVD is long with full explaination from basics to more advanced moves. This DVD will definately keep you busy for a long long time! Highly recommended if you are interested in thimble magic!
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
316 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Joe Mogar is wealth of magical knowledge...especially when it comes to clor-changing knives and thimble magic. This should be an outstanding DVD!

I have Joe Mogar's book on thimble magic, "Digital Effects," that Steve Beam authored and edited for Joe a few years back...a tremendous treatise. It will now be nice to see Joe performing many of these magical gems.

A.J.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
This DVD is just like having Joe giving you personal instruction on thimble manipulation.

WOW!

He starts you off from the beginning and leads you though some very simple but amazing work, then some knucklebusting moves that will have your fingers tied up in knots.

I'm a very happy camper!

Tony
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Does anyone know if Joe will be at Funarama? I look forward to getting this DVD and meeting him.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Last I heard from Joe (a couple of weeks ago) he was planning to be there. Funarama in July and MAES in August.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Does his thimbles come is different sizes? It is alittle too loose for me. I've contacted him but I guess he is busy
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Man you must have very, very small fingers! The Mogar thimbles are size 11 that is a rather small thimble. I am a short person with small hands and they fit a bit too tight on me (which is fine).
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
I just got back from a Shoot Ogawa lecture and workshop. The lecture was on many topics, and the workshop was on the Ninja Rings routine, but he opened the lecture with a captivating thimble routine. I picked up the thimble and DVD set from him there. I'll report back when I've had a chance to watch the DVD.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Hahaha not really small more that my fingers are always dry which makes the grip kinda low. Actually it is my pinkie that's having most problems with grip
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
How do his thimbles compare to the Vernet Thimbles ?
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
They are much smaller than Vernet and are not nesting. They are the size of normal sewing thimbles, made of a sturdy plastic, and come in very bright colors.

Forrest
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Can the b back clipped easily ? the
Vernet have too large of a lip on them to BC discreetly
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Quote:
On 2007-05-10 17:23, paymerich wrote:
Can the b back clipped easily ? the
Vernet have too large of a lip on them to BC discreetly

Yes the thimble can be back clipped easily. In fact a lot of the moves taught will be easier done with the included thimbles because of its size
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
Has anyone else had problems with the DVD? My menu item for the "12 Thimble Production" links back to the "Presidential" reveal. I mailed Joe in case it was a more general DVD issue, but have not yet had a reply.
I've found this DVD of great use, however, I'm not a great fan of the thimbles supplied - I'm finding once stacked they can be *incredibly* difficult to release smoothly, which does make the "Explosion Move" somewhat impossible.
Bruce
ShawnMilo
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of ShawnMilo
Does anyone here use Fakini thimbles? I bought Shoot Ogawa's thimbles, but I ended up selling them. They were too small for me. I checked out a Fakini at Denny & Lee's, and I liked it a lot. They're always on back-order though -- there was just one old one lying around for me to check out.

If any of you do thimble-work, which thimbles do you prefer?

Thanks,
Shawn
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I had a set of the Fakini's and got rid of them. They were too long for any of the routines that I used. Four Fakini thimbles stacked could not be hidden in my hand they stuck out by one and full thimble.

I actually like the old Sam Berland wooden thimbles over the Fakini version. Sam's were highly visible, and of a size that even a small hand could conceal a stack of four. (I have two sets in my collection).

The wooden thimble set sold by Jeff McBride is pure crap (for my use). They don’t stack easily (all my routines require a stack at some point) and they don’t fit me well. They were a big disappointment.

Presently, I use the ones sold by Joe Mogar. They are a size 11 thimble. Head down to a sewing or fabric store in your town and try on a size 11 thimble and check its fit. Right now they are easy to find (from Joe) and readily available.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1489 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
On hocus pocus magic it says it comes with 15 Thimble magic tips. Is that actual thimples or is it tips (like giving somebody a great way to do something). And if it is thimble's what size is it? medium adult, children size or what. Any body bought this from hocus pocus?

"Also included are 19 vanishes, 7 productions, 5 color changes, 4 flourishes, 6 miscellaneous items, 15 thimble-magic tips, practice drills, and more, all taught with a combination of frontal shots, over-the-shoulder angles and slow motion where useful."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17428 Posts

Profile of joseph
So you need about 12 thimbles to perform anything on his dvd? ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...