The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Greg Wilson: Which Card Effect DVD is Best??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1271 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have both ON THE SPOT and OFF THE CUFF videos/DVDs. There is some killer impromptu stuff on there and great to perform or just as a reference. I like his casual/entertaining style... So Natural.

I am now wanting to take on some of his Card effects, as I have seen the demos/advertisements for them and his card handling seems equal, if not, more alluring to me.

I just am not too sure which DVD to get in which order. The ones I am concerned with are:

- CARD STUNTS
- DOUBLE TAKE
- IN ACTION (Vol.1)
- IN ACTION (Vol.2)
- IN ACTION (Vol.3)
- PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS

What are thoughts for an Intermediate card handler, like myself??

One last thing.... Is there any relation with Greg and Mark Wilson?? This isn't Mark's son, Greg-- Is it????
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Greg had a GREAT gag on his Double Take video ( now on DVD ) that he was Mark Wilson's son. I bought it and then a second later he laughed and told us he was kidding. He's a talented, funny fellow!!

Get DOUBLE TAKE, CARD STUNTS and PYROTEHNIC PASTEBOARDS and you have good dose of this talented Magi!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
As a huge Wilson fan I recommend all the above Salby.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I too recommend all the above, but if I had to pick an order to get them in:

CARD STUNTS
IN ACTION 1,2 & 3
PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS
DOUBLE TAKE

Iain.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
You can't go wrong with anything you buy from Greg.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
ALL Greg's suff is great, but if you're after Cards then start with Pyrotechnic pasteboards. In time you WILL buy all his material.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I agree strongly that everything Greg puts out is fantastic, but if I were only to have one of his DVDs for a while, for cards, until I could get the other ones...

I'd DEFINITELY start with Card Stunts.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I agree, card stunts was my favorite of his dvds...
Logic Defied
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Card Stunts is one of my personal favorites because most of the effects on the DVD are not just " pick a card " presentations. There is a lot of animated and highly visual card presentations on this disc. My kind of stuff.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
I too loved Card Stunts. The effect where the box keeps coming back is worth the price of the DVD. I also like his version of Phoenix Aces, his handling is flawless.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
In action vol 1 is best, but they are full of top effects!
Hamil
View Profile
New user
Bay Area California
94 Posts

Profile of Hamil
Funny should mention Mr. Wilson. Just saw Gregory Wilson perform at California Magic and Dinner Theater this last Friday night. He is a great performer but to be specific having this dvd for cards I would say PYROTECHNIC PASTEBOARDS.

However, if you need work on you dl then I would suggest Double Take. Heck, get them all, there one heck of an arsenal to have if you intend to do much work with cards.

Hamil
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I have DOUBLE TAKE and PYROTEHNIC PASTEBOARDS and plan on getting the rest of his material. I think I will take the advice above and get Card Stunts next.

I was also at California Magic Friday night and had a great time. Gregory Wilson is a very funny and talented magician.

Dan
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I'm going to put in a word for "Double Take." It's his first DVD, and his enthusiasm really shows through. And even if you think you don't need a DVD teaching the double lift, you'll get something from this disk. He teaches multiple versions of the double lift, replacement moves, various color changes, some flourishes, tabled doubles, a top pass like move, and then a number of routines using doubles including Daley's Last Trick (here in his version called "Weighted Aces," "Jumping Gemini" with a cards to pocket ending, and even Paul Harris's "Bizarre Twist."

There's just a lot on this disk. I keep finding myself coming back to it. Also, the teaching is a lot slower and more patient than in "Card Stunts." "Card Stunts" has some great material on it, but Wilson really does rush through the teaching and often there's only one straight-ahead camera angle.
EvanZ
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of EvanZ
Double take.
I love it theres so much information and good tricks on it.
EvanZ
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
If I had to recommend one of his card dvds with material that you'll actually use (more likely than not) it would be Pyrotechnic Pasteboards. These are routines that are within the grasp of most intermediate card magicians. Card Stunts is absolutely incredible, but it's less likely for most people to be performing these. Still if you can afford every one of his dvds, do it.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I would say get "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards". It contains his wonderful ACR with double blank cards. Excellent.

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I love Card Stunts. Unfortunately, Bugjack is absolutely right in saying that the teaching can be somewhat rushed. I had to refer to other sources or use the forums here to comprehend some of the things he taught in the dvd. But because it is (for me) very technically demanding, it helped to make me work and improve on my technique alot.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
Double Take - a legendary first-video production for Greg! Very enthusiastic as always, and a wealth of well-thought-out and well-presented material on a lucrative move. Not just for beginners, by a long way.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Above I commented on the teaching in "Card Stunts." After spending some more time with the DVD the other night, I'll add that if you want a DVD that provides a lot of viewing time for the money, "Card Stunts" is the one -- I spent so, so much time rewinding, going slow-motion and mentally transposing his hands with mine just to figure out several of the moves in his "Revelation in Spades."

I like Wilson and the DVD in general, but I was surprised that after the slower teaching and use of multiple camera angles in "Double Take" that he moves so quickly and often just uses one straight-ahead angle in "Card Stunts." I still would like to pick up "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards," however, especially after reading here that the routines aren't as difficult as I had been lead to believe. (I had thought the word on "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards" was that it is a much more sleight-intensive and flashy handling disk.)

My question, though -- where on the quality-of-teaching scale is "Pyrotechnic Pasteboards"? Does it maintain the same fast pace as "Card Stunts"? More importantly, is there greater use of a performer-view camera?