The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: What do you think of "Paul Wilson-the resteraunt act"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
What do you think of the movie "Paul Wilson-the resteraunt act"? I am buying it and wonder what others think of it
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Solid pracical restaurant magic. Check this out http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

Chappelly
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm actually not a huge fan of The Restaurant Act, but I loved Knock 'Em Dead. I think it's probably mostly a matter of taste.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1014 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
That Chop Cup routine will never fly in the real world.
Other tables can see exactly what Your up to.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Working in restaurants can be a bit like working the street : you're surrounded and spectators sometimes can see a ditch, etc.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 16:57, Ethan the great wrote:
What do you think of the movie "Paul Wilson-the resteraunt act"? I am buying it and wonder what others think of it

It may not be Paul wilson's best release but at least he spelled "restaurant" correctly. No offense !!!
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Wayne - years ago I saw Paul do his Chop cup routine many times in the restaurant he worked at. In total I think I saw it at least 30 or 40 times in anger, and it _always_ got a good reaction. At one point he performed it for my sister and several years later, despite forgetting his name, she would still tell people about the 'lemon trick'.

I also spoke with the wait staff at the restaurant (we would hang out there a lot) and all but one of them never saw the loads. The one who did had deliberately watched carefully from behind. She then said how dissappointed she was that she knew the secret.

Notwithstanding the originality of the rest of the tape, Lean Chop is an excellent working routine, which I saw evolve over time. I recommend you give it a go.

Take care, Ian
Knarild
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Knarild
Too little variation in effects. Almost only secret transfers. Cards, coins, sponges etc are invisibly jumping around, into hands, wallets, from there to there etc. Very well done, but to the specs it is the same effect over and over again, but with different objects of cource, so that is a kind of variation. I think it is a good idea to vary types of effects more...
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
I personally enjoyed his theory behind working in restaurants.

Some of his material also gives insight as to what works well in the real world and what doesn't.

The STRUCTURE of his act is something to be studied as it allows you, the magician, to cater to each individual table accordingly. Also note that in his structuring he has made it such that he is reset for the next table after completing his act!

If you don't buy it for the effects, buy it for the knowledge.

Take care guys,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Logan is correct . It is a case study on how to successfully structure a Restaurant Act.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think it was ok in its day. Some descent ideas regarding routining, prop management, etc. I was glad I got it and would sell it without guilt.

Today, if you compare it to Kozmo's Jailhouse, it's probably not worth getting anymore.

It is different in that it focuses more on prop management and routining through an entire set.

The Jailhouse is far superior. If asked, that's what I'd recommend.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I think the restaurant act DVD suffers from not including more of his truly live footage (not the studio shoot). They play a few seconds at the begginning and end of the DVD and I think that would have been good to add
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
Agreed.

For what it was at the time, it was good. I still enjoy watching it today.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Compared to Kozmo's DVDs I think this is outdated. Dan Tong's stuff is really strong, and it is all done for real customers.

I have not seen Jailhouse, buy I know it is excellent.

Kozmo's stuff is the best.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
I recieved the video's today! I wathced it all the way through. I thought it was'nt that bad.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Magicchris, when I'm working the streets you don't see anything Smile I was once a street performer...and I STILL AM! Smile

thanks for the kind owrds on the jaihouse

koz