The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: "Jailhouse" vs. "Secrets of Magic" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Which Restaurant/ Table Hopping DVD do you think is better? (if anyone happens to own both...)

Best

Derek Merdinyan
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Although the David Stone DVD is good, I don't think you can beat "Live At The Jailhouse."

There is soooo much info packed into the 3 disk set, from multiple "tried and true" restaurant performers, that you'd be hard pressed to find anything better.

If you have ANY question about restaurants and restaurant magic, it will be covered by several full time performers on the Jailhouse set. Nothing has been left out.

Mark. Smile
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Mark nailed it in his post!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Sounds good to me. Just one more thing on the xmas list... Smile

Derek Merdinyan
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I would give the nod to Jailhouse. It certainly is the most complete but I certainly wouldn't say "nothing has been left out"... unless punning at a recent DVD project.

There were certain points which were completely skipped. What if someon wants to buy you a drink? When and where might you eat a comp'd meal if that is part of your shift fee? I could go on but most would better spend their time watching these DVDs.
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
I think 'Secrets of Magic' mainly talks about tricks and 'Jailhouse' concentrates on the business and management of restaurant magic, am I correct?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

JailHouse does both, effects, how to choose effects, how they should be structured, examples of table acts, excellent magic is taught. Plus much of the business aspects. It is a very good overview of the business, and a magic teaching series as well.

Tony
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well there are I thin 10 routines explained....working pro material....and there is a ton of information about how to work in a restaurant...heres whats on the 3 dvd set

Disk I Contents:
BENEFITS OF WORKING IN A RESTAURANT
CHOOSING A RESTAURANT
HOW TO DRESS
HOW TO GET THE JOB
HOW TO KEEP THE JOB
PROMOTION
STAFF RELATIONSHIPS
TIPS
GETTING PAID
CHARACTER
TYPES OF EFFECTS
AMOUNT OF MATERIAL

KIRK CHARLES PERFORMS AND EXPLAINS: SPONGE BALLS, AN IN THE HANDS COPPER/SILVER, MATCHES, BAR BASKETBALL AND BUSINESS CARD

GARRETT THOMAS PERFORMS: RUBIX CUBE, RING THING, 4 COIN PRODUCTION, BIG COIN LITTLE PURSE PLUS, GARRETT EXPLAINS HIS AMAZING WAY TO VANISH AND PRODUCE LARGE PROPS AT A TABLE

PAUL GREEN PERFORMS AND EXPLAINS: PYGMY PADDLE (A GREAT TRICK THAT WILL PROMOTE THE RESTAURANT WITH A GIVE AWAY), HERE THERE AND CHICAGO TOO! ( HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE PLOT WITH RED HOT MOMMA) AND CARD TO WALLET ROUTINE WITH A GREAT TIP TO HELP YOU NEVER MISS AND GIVE AWAY YOUR BUSINESS CARD AT THE SAME TIME.

Disk II Contents:
APPROACHING THE TABLE: WHEN & HOW

DAN FLESHMAN PERFORMS & EXPLAINS: RISING CARD, CARD TO MOUTH, MOMMA IN MY WALLET

THREE WAYS TO LEAVE THE TABLE: ENTERTAINMENT NOT DESIRED, THE FOOD COMES, YOU FINISH THE SHOW

KOZMO PERFORMS & EXPLAINS: SWEET ‘N LOW SURPRISE

Disk III Contents:
JUSTIN MILLER PERFORMS & EXPLAINS: SHOCKINGLY SWEET, SUGGESTION

ODDS & ENDS: DEALING WITH HECKLERS, EVOLUTION OF YOUR MAGIC, SELF PROMOTION, POCKET MANAGEMENT., MISTAKE RECOVERY, MAKING FRIENDS, WORKING FOR CELEBS

FAVORITE STORIES

PARTING COMMENTS

BLOOPERS & CREDITS
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This set is for everyone. If you have worked resturants, there is info you may not have heard.

If you have worked and maybe sued the Kirk Charles book to get gigs, you get to see him in action.

I'm going to use his Chop Cup routine ( no cup with a ***net ) and Justin Millers beautiful torn and restored SIGNED sugar packet.

I got far more than I paid for out of the set.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
When I was doing tables I did the bill to sugar packet adn it just killed lay audiences....i kind of knew it would get dismissed by magicians but I swear its a reputation maker...just my opinion...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Koz, I'm going to try it next time out. I had passed this by in the past.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
well....instead of having them choose a color tell them to give you a pink one then a white one and then a blue packet...that way the pink one is on the bottom for the switch makes it easier...just something I found since doing the dvd set...but it ell you what...there is no card thrick that can compete with that thing...i'm just telling you...but what do I know...
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Maybe it was the fact that you proceeded to do exactly what was taught not to do. When the food arrived you stood there and then proceeded with your routine for another couple of minutes AND that required your audience to interact with you rather than eat their dinners.

That might have shown the effect in a less than perfect light. I certainly found it awkward.

None of which detracts from the fact that Jailhouse is a nearly encyclopedic visual look at the nuts and bolts of getting and working a restaurant gig. So much so that watching it once a year would likely sharpen the business skills of anyone who has ongoing table hoppping work. THere are certain works one should visit yearly to refine one's focus on their attainment of their goals. IF you are table hopping Jailhouse is just such a work to revisit.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Tom, I appreciate the kind words about the project....i had to give them back their moneu didn't I?....thats how in my opinion and its my opinion that you leave a table when the food comes ...you get out but I certainly coldn't just walk away...i think this is exaclty how its hsould be handled...its one mans opinion...i didn't start another thing I just finished what I was doing...gettin out as quickly as I could...so what wold you have done....walked away with the dollar?

I thk what we are trying to teach on the set is to finish what youa re doing quickly and then leave don't start anything else...paul green says it...no wait, I'm not done...i have 10 mnore phases of this ambitious card routine...thats not it...get to the end...when I do this trick I put something in the middle a card trick and then reveal that there is a dollar in the sugar packet...i didn't do teh card routine...thats the point....maybe we didn't get that across as well as we should have

again, thanks for the knd words on the set
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It is perhaps a personal call, perhaps the managments, most likely the diners. Me, I would have bailed. I would have tucked the sugar packet under the container and asked them not to get ahead of me, I'd be back after they had eaten.

If that had been calamari they ordered the time spent finsishing at the table could be the difference between perfectly done and having the last half of the order chewy and cold.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Its not always smooth....sometimes crap happens that you cant help and thsi is one of those situations....but I can tell you that table although not real reactive loved it...they talked to me later about it...actually I wnet back later and did somemore for them..

the idea is you have to leave...you cant start anything new, and that's what I did....how you leave and what kind of magic you do will determine how quick you can get out....iprobably could have done a better job..

koz
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5474 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I'm sorry , I didn't start anything new...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

To be fair, the advice was to finish up and leave them to eat when the food arrives. Koz's routine may have taken a little longer than some would have liked to wrap up, but it was just an illustration on finishing up to let them eat. By using that particular routine, he was able to add a nice piece of magic to be taught to the viewers of the DVD.

Tony
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi Everyone,

Time for me to come out of hiding,...

I viewed the routine and this is what I think: In the context of this trick, Kozmo did end the trick. He did it in his own performing style. If he had left the scene, to return later, I think the guests would have spent their dinner thinking about the $$$ that the magician just "stole" from them. It would have colored their experience at the restaurant.

I stated that my magic is constructed so that it can be ended quickly at a number of points. Kozmo's routine (absolutely a WORKER) is an example of material that requires the performer to move along to the finale and then exit. You still have to be a "gentleman" and return the $$$.

The Jailhouse set of DVDs is a great beginning (or middle) for educating one in the art of restaurant magic. I cannot address Dave Stone's work because I have not seen his work. Heck! Get them both and then glean information from both of them. I do not think it has to be a choice.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green

PS For those that are "politically correct": HAPPY HOLIDAYS! For those of us that are not: MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HANUKAH, GOOD KWANZA, HAPPY WINTER SOLSTICE, FESTIVUS, GREEK ORTHODOX (in January)! For those of you that are athiests or agnostics: HI!
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
I agree that when the food arrives, we should finish asap and let the spectators to eat. They reason that they come to the restaurant is to eat. Unless it's a magic bar or magic restaurant and the main attraction is magic, we should give priority to food.