The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jay Sankey Video/DVD (Yes, again!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I posted this in the beginner's forum, then realized I should have posted it here. Sorry, I'm still new!

Anyways, I'm a beginner learning out of The Royal Road and Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia. Jay Sankey's stuff has me intruiged - especially his video/dvd collection. His stuff seems to have a wide variety of effects and techniqes. Is it good for a beginner? I have only been learning out of books thus far and want to try a video/dvd to see if I like it.

Thanks for any insight or experiences you may have.

Smile
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Your post was fine in the other forum but I'll also give a quick response here. I'd suggest that as a beginner you go with something like Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles. Don't get me wrong, I really like Sankey but I think that Ammar will give you a better foundation on which to build.

Just my 2-cents. Cheers!
William Holcomb
longbeach
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ont
141 Posts

Profile of longbeach
Ammar will give a much better foundation to build on. to me he seems fairly "old school". Sankey, on the other hand, seems to portray a newer style and approach to card magic. his motto naw is "mind over moves", trying to simplify the handling of a trick, but to achieve the same great effect. don't get me wrong, sankey is BRILLIANT with cards, and my favorite creative minds in all of magic, and i recommend almost all his stuff, but i would put him at more of an intermediate level.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Jay Sankey is awesome!! My first videos that I owned were some of his and they were not only fun, but taught me a lot. Jay Sankey's stuff will help you in ways that Ammar cannot!

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
If you want more bang for your buck, go with Ammar. If you are a beginner, Sankey's "Real Magic" tape is great. I was inspired to look more into coins after buying his Sankey-Tized Tapes(which are REALLY good, especially the Mexican jumping coins).

Jakks
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Ammars are great but we don't know which direction Mr Roberts is going. Maybe he wants to learn more flashy effects. What I suggest is that you go and watch some of the trailers and see which perform suits you needs then buy the one that fits.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
You do realize that the original post was written 10 years ago...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
It would be a hoot to know how far he has traveled on the magic path.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
... Probably has his own DVD's out already ...
lllmagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lllmagic
Any of his DVD's are great but I liked his colored series.