The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Card Revelations or Sankey? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
Could I go wrong with either Daryl's Card Revelations or Best of Sankey series for possible x-mas gifts? I have been into magic for about a year and I would consider myself intermediate.
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I have Daryl's Card Revelations 1-5 DVD's. I like them quite a lot. Just remember that they do not include the sleights, controls or moves necessary to perform all of the revelations, you must either know them or learn them elsewhere.
Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Both are good, but the sankey stuff has actual routines that are generally very good to excellent in quality.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
I think Sankey is the way to go depending on which Sankey tapes you are looking at... I personally recommend Sankeytized I and II. Awsome stuff and hilarious to watch as well... He has several marketed effects on this video which he teaches you how to do. Hope this helps.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I just got turned on to Sankey a few weeks ago and I love his stuff! He's got a dark sense of humor but his magic is truly top-notch!
William Holcomb
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
175 Posts

Profile of femur
The sankey tapes are good for intermediate skill level since there is a great variety in material (both difficult and easy stuff) AND Sankey really makes you want to perform magic. He's contagious!
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
I have the Card Revelation series, and honestly I think you should ask for the Sankey series. The Revelation series is nice, but it is literally just hundreds of ways to display a chosen card. Each and every trick is of the "pick a card" variety, and each and every thing he shows you are just multiple ways to display that chosen card. In fact, many of the methods are just variations of previously shown methods. So all in all, your money is better spent on Sankey's series. Just my opinion of course. Smile
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

I tend to agree with Negrette...I watched Card Revelation 2 last night and after a hour it got a little boring. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Daryl's stuff, but one or two of these videos would be more than you would ever use!

Why limit it to Sankey or Daryl? So much good stuff is out there I'm sure you would be interested in other stuff!
William Holcomb
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books, books!!!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
There is more USEFUL stuff on the daryl Revelations DVDs, but I agree with Ruben (again, and as usual) BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS, AND MORE BOOKS!!!!!!!!! Smile
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
I m a Die hard Jay sankey fan and have been for years now...I would be byass to say get the Jay Sankey, but get the jay sankey and well Ruben says books books and more books, but If I m correct I think Jay Sankey has some books! Smile
Hope this helps at least a tiny bit
Mina
:dance: Smile Smile Smile Smile
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Get the Sankey series. His coin work is superb and he's an excellent teacher. Learning a hundred ways of revealing a card will essentially teach you one trick. To the spectator they're all the same no matter how cleverly and skillfully you reveal that card. I would also recommend all of the Aldo Colobini videos. Great teaching, great effects, and a true pro.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

I know there are many good magic books on the market today and most magicians I know favor this medium to learn the craft. There are, however, people like myself that do not learn very well from books. I am a very visual, hands-on type of person so videos are ideal for me!

I often read posts which debate books versus videos. Videos, while typically much more expensive than books, are worth every Penny to me - it's how I learn!
William Holcomb
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of Daren
get the sankey stuff, they are all great! Especially his new dvd's secret files. Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Definetly go with Sankey's stuff. I was VERY disappointed in Daryl's revelation series.
Yakworld.
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
171 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Daryl's items seemed repetative...did I mention repetative...well it was repetative. Seriously, Daryl explains very clearly and I learned a lot from them, but Sankey is just plain entertaining! Have to go with Sankey.
Danik1
View Profile
Regular user
Saint-Eustache, Canada
184 Posts

Profile of Danik1
I have both and I'm going with Sankey on that one!
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2002-12-17 15:04, Burt Yaroch wrote:
Definetly go with Sankey's stuff. I was VERY disappointed in Daryl's revelation series.

Not very helpful...why not tell us WHY you were VERY disappointed...Such a post doesn't provide the member seeking information with anything other than a subjective viewpoint without any substantiation or justification.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
As for myself, I also prefer jay Sankey's tapes as they contain more workable real-world routines (but not all of them may be suited to your style and/or performing venue). The material is also more varied whereas Daryl's set is simply card revelation after card revelation after card...you get the point?!
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I agree with magicbern. Daryls get a little boring. It is just simply revelation after revelation. Sankey's has a wide variety of effects. With that being said I think Daryl is great and some of the revelations are great but you do not need all of these volumes. I would definetly go with Sankey's dvds on this one.