The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Review of "Zombie Re-Animated" DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have long been a huge fan of the Zombie and have studied it for many years. Due to this I always perk up when anything new and fresh comes along. Well, it has fellow magicians.

I recently got the 2 new DVDs called “Zombie Re-animated” created by Jeb Sherrill here on the Café. I was quite excited when I found all the new and inventive things contained within these DVDs. Jeb has taken the Zombie to new levels and created what I believe to be the best single source for learning “The Zombie”. From beginner level to advanced levels, these DVDs cover techniques, applications and subtleties that anyone interested in the Zombie Illusion could use. I believe I have seen everything published on the Zombie effect and there are some very good ones out there, however, “Zombie Re-animated” will possibly be to the Zombie that Rice’s Silk Encyclopedias were to silk magic.

The following is a brief review to give you an idea of what is contained within these DVDs.
Zombie Re-animated is a 2 DVD set.
I found both Volumes were really well done and in a professional manner.

In Volume One, Jeb starts with the basics. Starting with a brief history, he goes into different kinds of balls and other items that have been floated in zombie fashion. Foulards types and materials are covered with some valuable tips provided on these. Then gimmicks are studied with great detail covering many different types and the advantages and disadvantages of each. Then you are even taught to make your own gimmicks from scratch. This is great!

From here the DVD goes into many basic moves covering both the performers and the spectator’s point of view. The explanations started with hookups and ways to get started, to methods of proving no gimmick, vanishes and isolation.
Then the lesson goes into a good number of intermediate moves like the side slide, around the body, hide and seek, the zombie escaping the foulard and more. He even covers some black art tips in this section.
Volume One was very thorough and well-thought out. I could hardly wait to get Volume Two playing.

Volume Two is all about Advanced Moves including original and creative ideas. This is perfect for the magician that wants to make his zombie act better. Jeb teaches a lot of “Foulardless” Zombie moves which was one of my main interests in these DVDs. He covers that in detail and then goes on to Non-gimmicked moves and covers lots of special gimmicks too for thoroughness. Black Art is revisited on this DVD taking it further and in more detail.
After learning this advanced repertoire, Jeb goes to explore Routining and the theory and theater of the Zombie Ball. Lot’s of good advice as he goes into “putting it all together”.

As for negatives, they are few and don’t subtract from the quality of information in this piece of work.
I felt an actual performance of an entire routine by Jeb would have been nice to watch but it is very likely a blessing in disguise that he didn’t. This may have stifled the creativity of those exploring the Zombie. He does, however, perform each segment as it is being taught so you still get to see what it should look like. Also, I was left with some questions pertaining to how he put the gimmick on his finger because it was different than the way I was taught and have done for so many years. Personally, I would have liked to have heard his thoughts on coil placement on the finger. It’s a little thing that some experimenting should easily solve..

Overall, I really like Jeb Sherrill’s “Zombie Re-animated” and highly recommend it as a must-have to all beginners and anyone wanting to make their Zombie act better. This DVD set really got my creative juices flowing!
Way to go, Jeb. Great Job!
Daniel Faith
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4339 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Daniel,

Thank you for your comprehensvie review. It was very informative and helpful. Based upon your review, I will purchase this DVD set. It think, when done properly, the Zombie can be one of the strongest effects in parlor/stage magic. It seems taht this DVD set will help me and others learn how to effectively and theatrically present the Zombie.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree Michael. It has always been one of my favorite illusions.
It is so easy to do poorly though. These DVD's will help anyone make their act better.
Daniel Faith
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Thanks for the review Daniel. I really appreciate all your insights. For anyone interested, you can check out my website. I hope everyone finds them helpful.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You're welcome, Jeb.
You did an excellent job on those DVDs and I enjoyed
doing the review. I hope you sell many!
All Zombie fans will benefit.
Daniel Faith
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
I just got mine. it is sweet. I tell you if you are looking to get into zombie or are a seasoned pro this is the dvd for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yippee:
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
So how are you liking it? I've added quite a bit of pizazz to my zombie act.
Daniel Faith
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I'm really glad you're liking them Daniel. Here's a little something I posted in Manipulation, but I thought I should post it here as well.

Attention anyone who had a problem with the "talking" portion of the DVDs. I have recieved one email about the voice portion dropping in volume. The good news is, it's not the DVD player. For whatever crazy reason, if you're DVD player is going through a modulator or a VCR on the way to the TV, the stereo signal goes through both sides and causes interference (no clue why). If this happens, either plug your DVD player directly into your TV, or simply pull out one of the audio cables, left or right (white or red) and it will work fine. If anyone else has had this problem, I appologize for the inconvenience.

Jeb
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
Sounds interesting. Thank you Mr. Faith for the review.

Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4339 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I recently received my autograhed (thanks Jeb) Zombie Re-Animated DVDS, volumes 1 and 2. There is absolutely no mistake that Jeb is an unabashed fanatic on the Zombie. Instead of counting sheep at night, Jeb must count Zombie balls. I would not be surprised if Jeb does in fact use half of a Zombie ball as a bowl to actually eat his corn flakes from. People who have the DVDs will know what I mean.

With regards to the technical aspects of the DVDs, the DVDs are professional quality. There are specific chapters that can easily be accessed through the DVD chapter guides. There are also hilarious outtakes that can be viewed as well as a preview of his soon to be released ultitmate zombie gimmick. The music on the DVDS is very nice and appealing.

With regards to the content, on volume 1 Jeb begins by discussing the various Zombie balls and sizes that are available. He then extensively teaches on how to make your own customized Zombie gimmick, which takes some time but not that difficult. He also explains the various gimmicks that are commercially avaible and how to hold them. Jeb also discusses the various types of foulards and colors to use. Jeb teaches both beginning and intermediate Zombie techniques and moves. All of the basic and intermediate Zombie moves are thoroughly explained.

On volume 2 Jeb demonstrates and explains more advanced Zombie moves using different and unqiue techniques to hold and/or hide the gimmick. He also briefly discusses the more unsual gimmicks that are available. Jeb demonstrates and explains on how to use black art to enhance a Zombie routine. Jeb also demonstrates and explains his unique Foulardless Zombie moves. Volume 2 contains some very advanced techniques that will demand many hours of practice. Jeb clearly mentions this when he is presenting these techniques. Only some of the techniques on volume 2 will require many hours of practice. There are enough techniques taught on volume 2 that are within the reach of most performers but they will need considerable practice. But Jeb does teach some unbelievable moves and techniques that you would never have thought would be possible with a Zombie.

Jeb does not teach any specific routines. However, Jeb does go into detail, expecially in volume 2, on how to effectively develope a zombie routine and how to breath life into the otherwise ball on a stick.

Jeb has done a wonderful job in creating the most comprehensive teaching DVDs on the zombie that has ever or will ever be made. I would highly recommend both volumes of these DVDS to anyone who studies, uses or wants to use the zombie. After watching both DVDs, you too may stary eating your corm flakes out of a zombie bowl.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver