The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Flourishers: Extreme Bartending Flair Series Reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I know what you're thinking. What in the world is a review on a bartending video doing on a magic site. Well, there are bunch of reasons I decided to post this review.
1) Many magicians work in the hospitality industry.
2) There are flourishes in these tapes that can be used with some magic apparatus.
3) Many jugglers do some magic and vice verso and these tapes combine elements of both at times.
4) If you do certian tricks that involve a bottle of water or a glass you can get some nice flourishes to use.
5) There are a couple of magic tricks mixed in.

So here goes. First up is the Extreme Bartending Working Flair Traing series. Available from barproducts.com or extremebartending.com or ebay for around $30/VHS or $120 for a set. There are 4 volumes here's a quick review on each from a bartender and magician's point of view.All the tapes have the move done a few times in real time and then in slow motion with commentary and special tips by Scott Young and the Bar Smart crew.
Volume #1
Scott Young from Bar Smart is the host of this series. He does a good job of breaking down the flourishes so you can learn them easily. This tape focuses on moves that have little to no risk. There are flourishes with bottle caps, straws, and garnishes (lemons, limes). The tape also teaches some basic flair (bartending jargon for flourish) with drinking glasses, bottles, shaker tins, Zippo lighters and even ice scoops. Instead of doing these moves with the props they use, imagine doing them with a square circle cylinder, airborne, or other parlour magic props. There are spins, flips, and even a magic trick with flash paper (not a very good one though) They also teach the one handed match lighting flourish. If you do magic behind a bar I feel these tapes are a necessity. When it gets busy, you can still be entertaining. This volume in particular would also be a welcome addition to a stage performers library because of the possible use of some of the flourishes with magic props. At times, the tape seems repeatative because some moves are shown with a bottle, and then later shown with a shaker tin, but there are some differences... sometimes.
Overall I'd give it a 10/10 for bartenders and a 7/10 for magicians that are looking to add a little spice to some stage routines.
Volume #2
The moves on this tape are a little more risky, but well within the range of anybody that is willing to practice a little. Again tricks with shaker tins, bottles, glasses, and they even teach drink stacking. Some of the tricks use more than one prop at a time. There is also a trick called a back slide which could be used as a bottle vanish (kinda). Again, if you are looking for some stage flourishes for your parlour magic you might want to pick up this tape.
Bartenders 9/10, magicians 6/10. Losing a point for difficulty & danger.
Volume #3
These guys are nuts! Each tape gets progressively more difficult and on this volume they are doing stuff with full drinks! Yes full drinks are getiing throw about! Also there is more stuff with bottles, tins, glasses. More difficult stuff with 2 props. This tape has the best magic trick of the series. I learned it as "The World's Driest Martini". They call it a vanishing drink. It is nothing Earth shattering, but a nice trick for bahind the bar. Finally this tape has some 2 person (tandem) flair. If you work with a partner or assisstant this tape could give you some ideas on how to do a couple of 2 person flourishes.
Bartenders 9/10, magicians 5/10
Volume #4 Demos, Competitions, Stories, Bloopers,
This tape doesn't really teach anything. There are some amusing stories, some funny bloopers for the taping. Also it has some bartenders doing flair while working and some competition highlights. It's amusing and fun to watch others doing their thing but some of the scenes in the bar are too dark to see anything. It also shows the comittment it take to become good at flair bartending. There are guys practicing in the rain and everthing Smile
Bartenders 7/10 Magicians 4/10.

Overall I would reccommend volume one and maybe two and three for magicians and/or bartenders looking for some flourishes. There are some clips of some of the video on different sites. The Bar Smart motto is "Serve it with style" and these tapes could help you magish with style.

Next is a quick review of The Extreme Bartending Competition Flair Trainging series. If you are a flair bartender, you might get some moves off this series These are some HOLY S***!! moves. The first two volumes have moves you can actually do if you practice a bunch. The third volume is for superman only. They recommend that you have at least a year of flair experience before getting any of the tapes in this series and I agree. Again the 4th volume is filled with interviews, stories, competition highlight etc. Also they use the word "illusionary" to describe some of the flair and, again, I have to agree. The flourishes on this series will take months to perfect. This tape series is not for the faint of heart.
Ratings:
Volume 1 Everyday Bartenders 5/10 Flair Bartenders 10/10 Magicians 5/10
Volume 2 Everyday Bartenders 4/10 Flair Bartenders 9/10 Magicians 4/10
Volume 3 Everyday Bartenders 4/10 Flair Bartenders 8/10 Magicians 3/10
Volume 4 Everyday Bartenders 5/10 Flair Bartenders 8/10 Magicians 3/10
I would recommend these tapes for flair bartenders but not magicians unless you are looking for some entertainment. These move are very difficult and often dangerous.

FYI I have been flair bartending for 4 years and doing magic for 11.
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2228 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I'm sure I could never use any of this but it sounds like it wouild be great to watch...( the juggling aspect )_ I am a proud Christian so my question of course is what kind of establishment was the recorded in? Is their bad language in it.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
If you are against any alcohol, these tapes are not really for you. The moves are taught with juice in the bottles but the opening clip does use real alcohol. The first three volumes were recorded in a bar (for the Working Flair series). The 4th volume has clips from all over the world. There is a warning about the language on volume 4 for the bloopers sections (They actually kept a running tally for how many times one guy dropped the F-bomb).
If you are looking to watch one for the juggling aspect (and are not opposed to a little alcohol usage), I reccommend some of the competition videos put out by the competitions themselves. Some of them were held on a stage and the moves are even more awesome. 5 bottle juggles, themes, routines to music.
Joe
New York Magicians
Magician New York
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
This video set is highly recommended. I consider them the best series for teaching bar flair. I've got this set and really enjoy them. If you do any sort of bar magic and you throw in one or two moves from this set, you will strengthen your reputation as an entertainer. I also recommend the Skyy Vodka Competition compilation dvd's.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I may not have bartending experience, but it sure sounds an interesting set to watch. I like the way they handle the bottles when mixing drinks and the likes.

By any chance of it being a DVD release instead of VHS?
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
The DVD's are sold as a set only and don't com with the bonus VHS.
Joe
New York Magicians
Magician New York