The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Royal Road DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1425 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I purchased the Royal Road to Card Magic DVD today. MSRP is $70.00 American. Contents, looks like pretty much what is in the book. It is a 4 DVD set, all in ONE case. I have not watch it yet as I purchased it on the way to work. I will give a review in the proper forum (the good; the bad) if desired. I am not really a card guy (hence the reason for the purchase). I also have the book. I like using different methods of learning. I thought this would of interest of this products availability.

Jerry
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I suppose it could be a good, but unnecessary adjunct to learning with the book. It could be really cool, if, like Ortiz' Annotated Erdnase, there was an appendix of moves that have been improved upon since the publication of the book. Otherwise parts of it will only represent a step backwards in terms of the evolution and improvement of the craft.
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
Who teaches it? I think it was rudy Hunter right?
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
Geez... for $70.00, I would have invested in something else, especially since you've got the book. But if it helps you get more out of Royal Road, more power to ya'.

Have fun.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
You can hear about RRTCM on 'GoMagicGo' Podcast for free.

Hideo Kato
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1425 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Yes it is Hunter.

Yes video helps me, reading; lectures; and anything that will help learn I will purchase if I believe it is of vaule.

Podcast is audio only - yes? I will download that also, thanks Kato.

Jerry
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
DVD's are a great learning tool because you can actually SEE the moves, but $70 is pretty steep compared to the price of the book.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1425 Posts

Profile of Jerry
It is nearly 5 hours of material on 4 DVD's, I doubt you find anything close to this in cost. L&L is also coming out with a version on 6 DVD's ( which I believe will also be about 5 hours spread out on 6 disc). Base on thier pricing in the past, I think it will be about $160.00. So I VERY happy with the $70.00 price.

Jerry
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
What's next? The video version of Karl Fulves Self Working Card Tricks?

Is there really five hours of material in Royal Road that needs to be seen to be understood? It just seems to me that there's gotta be a lot of fast forwarding in that five hours...

Please let us know when you've had a chance to see all of them and post your review.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1425 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I would love to see a JB Bobo DVD version. So far I have seen the first disc. And yes there is a lot materail to go over, since they are covering the entire book. I was never bored. I enjoy seeing a visual version of this text. I feel it is very informative. Due time constraints, I can see about one disc a day. And yes I will do a review when complete. Again, I warn everyone I am in no way a card expert, so you have to take it for it is worth.

Jerry
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
747 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
I just got mine in the mail. I think it's a cool idea to put classic texts into DVD format. We're in an increasingly 'visual' age. TV has supplanted newspapers, dvds and mini dvd players are everywhere, and even game consoles now play movies. This will help bring some classic magic to a whole new audience.

I've watched about 2/3 of RRTCM and I thought Rudy Hunter did a great job. The explanations are clear and he keeps things interesting (even through the hoary old chestnuts that we all know).

I recommend them. In fact, I already have to 3 of my students!

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
CALENIG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of CALENIG
I Must add this is a great dvd. In my opinion I think Mr Hunter should be congratulated with his teachings and explanations. I have the book and I am now pleased to have a dvd which does the book justice. Great Job!!!!
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Just recieved the dvds myself watched the first few minutes and can tell these are fantastic dvd's for the money,i only paid £24 on ebay.now that's one of the best bargains ive had in a long while.funny enough I have only just bought the book a few weeks ago,yes ive never owned it before and after reading a few pages I liked it.so when I saw the thread about new dvds of the same I bought them after finding the cheapest source.
I am a cardman myself but I like these mainly I think because the book is so old and its like watching the authors in action if you know what I mean.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
You can get it from penguin for only $59 and free shipping.

It won't be anywhere close to the L&L DVD's with Paul Wilson. L&L's will eb before an audience and Paul is a Master with an audience and teaching. Get both, just for different takes.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
It's interesting to me that a couple of you (MagicChris and Jerry) have stated that L & L is releasing RRTCM on DVD. MagicChris, you say that Paul Wilson is the one teaching it, but are you guys sure about this? I heard a while ago that Paul Wilson was going to do RRTCM on DVD, but that is was not with L & L. Also, I went to Paul's shoot at L & L this past summer, and it was not for RRTCM. It's possible that he did a separate shoot I guess. So now I'm curious as to where you got your info from, MagicChris and Jerry. I guess I'm hoping you're both right, I would like to see Paul teach RRTCM.

Kaylan
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Here's the little I know and it comes from a posting made by Mr. Wilson on another forum and some comments he made at a lecture that I attended: Paul Wilson completed taping his version of RRTCM in 2002. It was not originally with L&L but they took over the project at some point and they along with Paul Wilson are now completing the editing of the DVDs. It should be released sometime this year.
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
From Paul Wilson:

Quote:
Royal Road was shot in 2002 and has been delayed until this year when it was finished by L&L Publishing to their excellent standards. We have spent the last six months getting it into shape and it is common knowledge on the net that this project is pending.

When we shot this I, Tim Trono, Mark Murphy and our crew went to great lenghts to produce a quality product that would teach the student how to be an excellent card magician.

We followed the format of the course, taught the material but I also addressed the problems that I felt dated the course and added ideas that greatly improved the material. We added three effects - one of my own (using a Pass, a Top Change and a Palm under misdirection), one of Dai Vernon's (one of the best Card Tricks ever invented) and a Roy Walton trick that helps teach the Pass beautifully (none of the tricks in the book really utilize the pass properly, IMO).

Many of today's finest magicians added words of advice to the course so students would understand something more about card magic than just moves and tricks. It's been a hard path but it's paying off with a course that WILL teach you how to perform excellent sleight of hand card magic.

The fact that Magic Makers has come up with one on the eve of our release is sad but when I look at their footage I am not too worried.

We shot with multiple cameras and a studio audience. After hours of discussion we settled on a "dinner party feel" to the audience. Partly because they would be watching so many tricks and we didn't want it to be too formal for them but MOSTLY because it closely emulated the environment that the student would first perform in. We thought every little detail out and ironed out every wrinkle in the book.

We were not simply trying to "do the stuff" on DVD but were translating the best single volume course ever written to the video format AND updating it.

Word of this project has been out since we shot it. It has been discussed online many times. Whether or not Magic Makers knew about it isn't for me to decide.

What is interesting is that this is an opportunity for the magic stores (on the street and on the net) to make a choice. Choose to sell a well produced interpretation of the Royal Road by the person who originated the idea or the "other one" because it's cheaper.

Since this is a "gateway" product to new magicians and new customers for those stores, it would seem to me that selling them the best instructional material is the only way to ensure they come back for more...

I believe this was posted here if someone wants to go and do the search.

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Thanks for the 411 Michael. I'll be waiting...

Kaylan
meijin
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
189 Posts

Profile of meijin
No problem Kaylan, I hope that was of some help.

Being a total newbie, I don't know much about the different groups and in-fighting. However, I found a copy of this DVD set on eBay for about $30.00 that I was able to purchase. It has just arrived, so I have not had a chance to look at them yet. But, I respect Paul Wilson alot. I have just gotten the Unreal Work DVD that he and Jason England did and I am sure that I will get Paul's version of this once it comes out later (hopefully!) this year.

Michael
Michael

There are two groups of people that violate basic principles in any endeavor: idiots and experts. I tend to play poker with most of the idiots!

Partial paraphrase from Jason England comment
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
*poof*