The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: A Tribute to Wayne Houchin's *Quarter to can* routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 15:57, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
I have a problem..I have a terrible problem..
I can't drink all that beer Smile
It's not even a joke...it's a problem...really Smile
I dislike Coke or Sprite and that kind of stuff, far too sweet, and one can't spill it on the floor when perfoming in a pub or simialar..

So the only option is a beer can.. Smile ..and I can't drink all the beer needed to practise this routine properly..and I can drink a lot of beer Smile
I was raised with a local beer plant/factory right on the opposite side of the street and the father of a friend of mine was in charge of it...
Still, there is a limit to how much beer I can consume Smile

Once again, this routine is about the greatest single piece of impromptu close-up magic that came along within the last 50 years..and I mean it..

Not only that, but even a child could do it..with proper handling and practise, anybody has a true reputation maker at his hands!
This routine should never have gotten released, not even to me, it's a masterpiece of deception, anybody can ruin it too..

The first step re 'vanishing' the coin is an OUTSTANDING piece of simplicity and comes as close to real magic anything ever can..

I don't know how it is in the States, but a short visit to several local malls did reveal that there is a s*it lot of difference between 'cans', especially re the design of the top of it..some have very smal 'access' some have a real big once..

Strange enough, I even suspect the Cokecans sold in the States are different re this, compared the ones we have here in Europe..yes, sounds strange, but they might use local producers of cans here?
The Cokes I've seen, have very smal 'entrances', the Carlsberg beer one I found, has a very large one..

So ppl in Europe will have a hard time to study the diff. designs of cans and in my case especially beer cans... Smile..and I have to be sober preferably... Smile
Well, let's put it this way..it is a 'pleasure' Smile

Once again, what a shame this routine is so freely available, it simply is too outstanding and easy to do to be that easily available..

OTOH, it doesn't matter here in Europe, as the *Mindfreak* series haven't been broadcasted here yet, so -apart from the fellow magicians and who cares- have seen this routine, one still can get out and have fun with what it's aimed at..'normal' ppl, wanting to have a good time and no doubt getting almost crazy when getting the VISUAL impact of this routine..
It's simply pure MAGIC!!
(Compare this routine with ABYSS and you might better understand 'why' I always thought it wasn't worth to do!)

PS. My point is, STUDY the type of cans they have at the place you are, before attempting to perform the effect!!!

Salute to Wayne Houchin for 'inventing' a perfect magic *trick*, that plays bigger then 'walking through a brick wall'...
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
So Werner - do you need any help drinking all that beer? It's a dirty job, but I offer my services for a reasonable fee Smile
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-11-18 06:25, broothal wrote:
So Werner - do you need any help drinking all that beer? It's a dirty job, but I offer my services for a reasonable fee Smile
whatta died yo sai??
III cann't reed..welll hawe soome schleep and ten reareed...Smile Smile
were is te bed? hawe to reemoove all te cans first... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
Werner,

I definitely agree with you. This is one of the best investments I've ever made in magic. It will definitely get great reactions if performed properly. Like Werner mentioned, Sinful is not technically demanding. However, it still requires quite a bit of practice to get it smooth. I just hope that people don't watch the DVD, and immediately try and perform it because after you see how it is done, it looks very simple to do. Please don't do this. I know there will be some people who will anyways, but understand that there are some steps that can ruin the effect right away with insufficient practice (Steps 2 and 4 on the DVD can be difficult). All I want get across to people that own this is to please put in the practice that this trick deserves, and you'll be greatly rewarded.

Joe
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
This should never have been released to the public. They should have charged $50 or more and made it available only to magicians. If this becomes the next D'lite, I'm going to go crazy.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I don't think it will... I think we are safe.
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1220 Posts

Profile of APC
The thing that got me mad was on the DVD....Chris said the reason we bought it was because of the show, yet I didn't see the show. I bought it because I saw Wayne do it! The lay people bought from the show...not all magicians!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Exactly!!! Wayne's handling was so much better than Chris' it wasn't even close.
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of tntjr
BTW, you can practice the handling over and over up until the last step without opening the can. But I agree, the last step is critical and if you mess it up, it's ruined. But the steps up to that, building the drama can be (and should be) easily practiced up to that point.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Total agreement on this one. I love the effect..it's pure magic, and deserves all the practice you can give it!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Agree, and like Werner mentioned Criss Angel's series are totaly un-known in Europe, so there is no risk this routine is exposed anywhere, at least yet.
I can vouch for the reactions you receive, it's a miracle to laymen and this is easily becoming one of my pet routines.

Wayne Houchin, hope you get a huge magic-scholarship so you can use all your time working on new and revolutionary magic Smile

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I agree as well. This is a tremendous trick--worth a lot more. And it should NOT have been released to the general public!
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
580 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Im not sure about you, but I don’t think I would want to drink the soda/beer from the can after the coin has been in there. Coins aren’t the most hygienic things in the world, you can only imagine where its been.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 08:43, Nick23 wrote:
Im not sure about you, but I don’t think I would want to drink the soda/beer from the can after the coin has been in there. Coins aren’t the most hygienic things in the world, you can only imagine where its been.

Boil the coin, let it cool off, then Smile Smile Smile

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Paisa23,

Didn't you post somewhere the idea of using the signed coin to buy the soda from a machine? I've been routining that idea and will be trying it out on my travels over the holiday. Just wondering if you've tried it yet?
The_Shadow
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of The_Shadow
This was easily one of the top effects of last year. Wayne has a brilliant creative mind to come up with this effect. It's just soooo deceptive!
Dr Marvin
View Profile
New user
Florida
91 Posts

Profile of Dr Marvin
Good idea, but it wasnt groundbreaking, Larry Jennings had a manuscript out called "coin to can" years before Wayne was even born!

Dr Marvin

1-5-06
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
For me and a lot of his fans, Wayne Houchin's Coin To Soda Can rountine is simply amazing! Wayne's method is truly diabolical and ingenious. The idea of this thread is to show our support to Wayne and continue success in his magic.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
1nOnly
View Profile
New user
Southern California (way south)
25 Posts

Profile of 1nOnly
Quote:
On 2005-12-08 08:25, bloodkin wrote:
Paisa23,

Didn't you post somewhere the idea of using the signed coin to buy the soda from a machine? I've been routining that idea and will be trying it out on my travels over the holiday. Just wondering if you've tried it yet?

If you follow up some kind of dollar bill routine with this and have a soda machine nearby. Just have the spec put the dollar into the machine. Have them choose an appropriate can of soda and use the change from the machine to complete the effect. Most soda machines take dollars and have drinks costing less than .75, ensuring a quarter in return.
Above all, remember this one thing. Don't tell them anything about how it's done. Theym really don't want to know.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I can imagine it now.. lazy magicians giving a spectator a dollar (funny enough right there...).. and then asking them to pick an COKE product...

But.. I agree.. Sinful (the original and rightful name) is without question.. the most amazingn piece of magic I've seen in a long time. It's direct, it's simple, there are no "moves"... simply the closest thing to real magic I've seen. It's a bit angley.. but people who aren't paying attention off to the side won't remember what they've seen if they see it.. because they weren't paying attention.. however.. in a street magic situation.. after the first time the effect is done.. you have to be really careful.

I plant a friend close to my right side if I have one available..