The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Real World Magic-Dave Jones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone familiar with this new dvd or Dave Jones? Sounds like a few unique routines.

Eric
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Dave Jones is one of the top UK professionals, so I would safely assume the material will be very commercial. I've just ordered a copy so will be able to post a review fairly soon.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Anyone have this yet?
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
Anyone for a review?
Magicman101uk
View Profile
Regular user
Nuneaton, UK
146 Posts

Profile of Magicman101uk
Someone must have this to review!?!?
Anyone here believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand!

www.paul-humphreys.com
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Good Stuff.....I love his idea for his underground cardtrick. I don't have time to give an in depth review but his underground card trick is a great idea that all card workers would love. I wish that it instantly reset. Hopefully one of you guys can work out a method. I will post a better review later.

Steve
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
OK....now I got the time to do a better review. The video quality and sound are great so there is no problem in that department, although the lighting is a bit dark during his stage show clips...lets go straight to the effects:

Notes - IMHO, the best routine on this DVD and one of the best card routines I have seen in a while. Basically, the magician has a spectator pick and sign a card. The magician then talks about this being a new trick and that he’s not really sure what to do because he needs the directions. The magician then cuts the signed selection into the deck and the top card reads "Step 1 - Cut and Shuffle the Cards". After that the top card reads "Step 2 - Deal 5 cards"....so on throughout the routine till the magician comes to a card that reads "Please check the Emergency Card." The Magician then says that he keeps the emergency card in his wallet. The magicians takes out his wallet and inside there is a card that has "Place in Wallet before trick" written on the back. When that card is turned over it is the spectator’s selection. Awesome routine. I have to work on a method that resets instantly and allows me to hand the emergency card to the spectator as a souvenir. Great stuff.....for all the card guys that get this DVD and work on this trick...let me know if you find a method for instant reset.

Voodoo Heat - Basically this is a great presentation for a trick that I believe many magic stores no longer sell. It’s a trick where a spectator holds a piece of foil and the magician is able to make it sooooo hot that the spectator can no longer hold it. Dave's presentation uses a voodoo premise and a cigarette. Good routine

Glassique - A little disappointed at this one. This is basically a self working trick with 4 empty glasses. The magician turns his back while the spectator places a single coin in one of the four glasses. The spectator is able to pour the coin into different glasses as much as he/she likes. The magician then begins eliminating glasses with his back turned towards the spectator the entire time. Eventually the magician eliminates the three cups the spectator did not dump the coin in.

Real World Bill Switch - This doesn’t have relevance to me because I use American money when doing the original bill switch. Dave came up with a way for people to do the bill switch with foreign currency. He has a great addition for all you UK magicians. I've never handed pounds before so maybe a magician from the UK can post a better review of this trick for the other UK members.

Linking Ringer Rings - The linking of the rings is still kinda fishy looking but Dave does have a great subtlety to make it seem like all the rings were linked at one point without the normal fiddling to link them as the magician goes from spectator to spectator. I might consider doing this in a cabaret act but the routine is still not clean enough for my taste to perform close up. (Note: Dave performs this in his Stage show.)

Batman's Aces - An awkward production of 4 Aces. I've seen better but some card guys might find this of interest.

Billy Boxing Gloves - Dave’s handling of the One Million Dollar Mystery. Good presentation.

Ten - Dave Multiple Selection routine...my thoughts are stick with Doc Eason and Paul Cummins....some of Dave’s revelations are found in Fusillade.

Performance of Seriality - Seriality seems like a good routine to me except for the end. The end seems very anticlimactic and I felt the audience was wanting more.

Just my opinion...any questions
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
BTW....In Dave's handling of Notes...You can still hand the emergency card to the spectator...so don't worry. It can be examined and given away if you wish.
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
63 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Hello MagicSteve

Thanks for your review of my DVD. You seem to have enjoyed it overall, and that's nice to hear. One never knows how one's material is going to be received!

Just a couple of points re. your review that may be of interest to potential purchasers.

In your favourite routine "Notes", I use my handling of Chris Power's One Handed Bottom Palm which really cleans it up, and minimises finger movement almost to non-existence! After my lecture at this year's FFFF, I was delighted to see some of the best card men in the world sitting around the lobby practising it! Beware however - it is NOT easy! Immodestly, I think is the BEST palm in the world (of course I'm biased Smile )! By the way, the signed card CAN be given away at the end of the trick, which I do this the time, as the back is marked and therefore unuseable. If anyone DOES come up with a resetting version, please let me know!

Voodoo Heat: We can still obtain the "necessary" in the UK although it is harder to find. I have a supplier who can let me have it readily. If anyone has bought the DVD and has trouble purchasing the "necessary" from a magic dealer, just email me and I'll tell you what it is - which should make it easier to source locally.

Sorry you didn't think much of "Glassique". I agree it is a more "lightweight" item than many on the disc but give it a try in front of lay people and you may be pleasantly surprised. The more you repeat it, the more baffling it is.

I take your point on the "Real World BIll Switch". Hopefully however it will be of benefit to Magicians in other countries who can make use of the basic idea.

I think the discussion, regarding the problem of the "anticlimax" of having the change noticed by the spectators at the point where the bill is at it's smallest, is worth consideration by performers who ae affected due to the different colours of the bills in circulation around the world. You yanks are very lucky to have "matching" bills! Smile

I use the routines on the DVD frequently, but two of them I use ALL the time, and they pay my mortgage! They are consistently the most talked about effects that I perform. These are the "Linking Finger Ring" routine and "Ten"

The Linking Finger Ring routine is my attempt to clean the handling up and make it less cluttered.

With respect, I don't think you can criticise the handling because the effect can't be performed Close Up.

IMO The linking Finger Rings is a cabaret effect ONLY. I NEVER perform it Close Up - only in cabaret and not on stage as you see on the DVD. I don't think it's possible to convincingly perform it Close Up - it is vital to have distance between the spectators for the effect to work IMO.

Due to the constraints of filmimg, the handling on the disc suffers slightly because the spectators are all seated on stage behind me in a line, and this affects the linking procedure. I am not able to do the moves as I move between the lenders of the rings as I normally do. In cabaret it is smoother. I really believe if magicians learn this effect they'll have a reputation maker! Blimey -did I just sound like Harry Lorayne or what? !! Smile

By the way, in normal performance I do use a BEAUTIFUL convincer by my friend James Freedman (with his full permission) which makes it look like the final ring is linked BETWEEN the first two! I couldn't reveal this on the DVD as it is not my move, but I'll do my best to work on him to let me reveal it in future. Wish me luck!

If there was one routine I could encourage everyone to learn it would be "Ten". I have had so many repeat bookings because of this one effect. Don Alan used to say that an agent or a booker likes to be able to say to a client "I've got a guy who......"

Well to many of these agents in the UK I am the guy "who...... gets EVERYONE to pick a card, and then finds them all in the right order while remembering the audiences names" It is "signature piece" for me, and has been for many years.

Of course, I have to doff my cap to Paul Cummins and Doc Eason (who inspired me to add the "remembering names" bit). Fusillade is an excellent book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in the plot. However I was initially inspired to perform this effect by the "eight card revelation" in "Magician Nitely" by Jerry Mentzer which covers Eddie Fechter's magic. I've compiled and added revelations from many sources over the years (including Fusillade) and encourage potential performers to do the same.

The most recent change I have made s to adopt Aldo Colombini's EXCELLENT control found in the book and DVD "Fireworks". It is by far the best control for this effect that I have ever come across. Of course, I was not able to feature this on the DVD, but encourage everyone to look it up!

What I am offering on the DVD is a handling that plays very strongly and has been used by myself countless times - it is a "money in the bank" routine.

"Seriality" is available separately with the necessary props. I note that you thought the ending an anticlimax, but all I can say is that it really seems to impress people (especially a business audience). I've performed it hundreds of times and, from my point of view I find that the prediction at the end, rather than being an anti-climax, provides an extra "beat" after the repeated memory demonstration,and signals that applause should now be forthcoming! It's there really to provide a "different" ending and applause cue. I fully appreciate that it's not your "cup of tea" - your opinion is equlaly valid, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway MagicSteve, many thanks for your review. Hope you had your money's worth!

If anyone has any questions about any of the material - feel free to ask!

Dave Jones
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
63 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Hello MagicSteve

Thanks for your review of my DVD. You seem to have enjoyed it overall, and that's nice to hear. One never knows how one's material is going to be received!

Just a couple of points re. your review that may be of interest to potential purchasers.

In your favourite routine "Notes", I use my handling of Chris Power's One Handed Bottom Palm which really cleans it up, and minimises finger movement almost to non-existence! After my lecture at this year's FFFF, I was delighted to see some of the best card men in the world sitting around the lobby practising it! Beware however - it is NOT easy! Immodestly, I think is the BEST palm in the world (of course I'm biased Smile )! By the way, the signed card CAN be given away at the end of the trick, which I do this the time, as the back is marked and therefore unuseable. If anyone DOES come up with a resetting version, please let me know!

Voodoo Heat: We can still obtain the "necessary" in the UK although it is harder to find. I have a supplier who can let me have it readily. If anyone has bought the DVD and has trouble purchasing the "necessary" from a magic dealer, just email me and I'll tell you what it is - which should make it easier to source locally.

Sorry you didn't think much of "Glassique". I agree it is a more "lightweight" item than many on the disc but give it a try in front of lay people and you may be pleasantly surprised. The more you repeat it, the more baffling it is.

I take your point on the "Real World BIll Switch". Hopefully however it will be of benefit to Magicians in other countries who can make use of the basic idea.

I think the discussion, regarding the problem of the "anticlimax" of having the change noticed by the spectators at the point where the bill is at it's smallest, is worth consideration by performers who ae affected due to the different colours of the bills in circulation around the world. You yanks are very lucky to have "matching" bills! Smile

I use the routines on the DVD frequently, but two of them I use ALL the time, and they pay my mortgage! They are consistently the most talked about effects that I perform. These are the "Linking Finger Ring" routine and "Ten"

The Linking Finger Ring routine is my attempt to clean the handling up and make it less cluttered.

With respect, I don't think you can criticise the handling because the effect can't be performed Close Up.

IMO The linking Finger Rings is a cabaret effect ONLY. I NEVER perform it Close Up - only in cabaret and not on stage as you see on the DVD. I don't think it's possible to convincingly perform it Close Up - it is vital to have distance between the spectators for the effect to work IMO.

Due to the constraints of filmimg, the handling on the disc suffers slightly because the spectators are all seated on stage behind me in a line, and this affects the linking procedure. I am not able to do the moves as I move between the lenders of the rings as I normally do. In cabaret it is smoother. I really believe if magicians learn this effect they'll have a reputation maker! Blimey -did I just sound like Harry Lorayne or what? !! Smile

By the way, in normal performance I do use a BEAUTIFUL convincer by my friend James Freedman (with his full permission) which makes it look like the final ring is linked BETWEEN the first two! I couldn't reveal this on the DVD as it is not my move, but I'll do my best to work on him to let me reveal it in future. Wish me luck!

If there was one routine I could encourage everyone to learn it would be "Ten". I have had so many repeat bookings because of this one effect. Don Alan used to say that an agent or a booker likes to be able to say to a client "I've got a guy who......"

Well to many of these agents in the UK I am the guy "who...... gets EVERYONE to pick a card, and then finds them all in the right order while remembering the audiences names" It is "signature piece" for me, and has been for many years.

Of course, I have to doff my cap to Paul Cummins and Doc Eason (who inspired me to add the "remembering names" bit). Fusillade is an excellent book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in the plot. However I was initially inspired to perform this effect by the "eight card revelation" in "Magician Nitely" by Jerry Mentzer which covers Eddie Fechter's magic. I've compiled and added revelations from many sources over the years (including Fusillade) and encourage potential performers to do the same.

The most recent change I have made s to adopt Aldo Colombini's EXCELLENT control found in the book and DVD "Fireworks". It is by far the best control for this effect that I have ever come across. Of course, I was not able to feature this on the DVD, but encourage everyone to look it up!

What I am offering on the DVD is a handling that plays very strongly and has been used by myself countless times - it is a "money in the bank" routine.

"Seriality" is available separately with the necessary props. I note that you thought the ending an anticlimax, but all I can say is that it really seems to impress people (especially a business audience). I've performed it hundreds of times and, from my point of view I find that the prediction at the end, rather than being an anti-climax, provides an extra "beat" after the repeated memory demonstration,and signals that applause should now be forthcoming! It's there really to provide a "different" ending and applause cue. I fully appreciate that it's not your "cup of tea" - your opinion is equlaly valid, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

Anyway MagicSteve, many thanks for your review. Hope you had your money's worth!

If anyone has any questions about any of the material - feel free to ask!

Dave Jones
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Don't get me wrong Dave. I thought the DVD was definately worth the money. There were a few effects that I won't use but all in all, you filled it with some really good stuff.

Once again, I love notes....brillant routine....I just wish I was a palming guy. That won't stop me from practicing it though.

Do you have any plans to release any other effects Dave?
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
63 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Hi MagicSteve

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated! I hope I didn't give the impression that I was trying to negate your (very valid) point of view. I think you have been very fair in your comments. I was just providing a bit more information regarding my attitude to my material, so that people know where "I'm coming from."

Like you, when I watch all DVDs I find items that I can use and those that I can't. Naturally my DVD is no exception. I'm pelased that there was enough to justify your purchase.

I've no plans at the moment to release more DVDs of my material, but, next year I will be involved in a DVD project aimed at beginners to magic. This will appear through International Magic in London.

best

Dave
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
I just saw the DVD. Notes is a lovely trick.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Hi David, Are you using a LePaul style wallet? I mind find the bill switch useful as I live in Hong Kong and our currency is coloured and different. Cheers.

Sean
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-01 16:06, Sean Macfarlane wrote:
Hi David, Are you using a LePaul style wallet? I mind find the bill switch useful as I live in Hong Kong and our currency is coloured and different. Cheers.

Sean
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

I meant to say I might find the bill switch useful.
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
63 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Hello Sean

To answer your queries. The wallet I've used for years was made by Jerry O'Connell. It is no longer made by Jerry, but he has several excellent designs available on his website which is http://www.leatherjerry.com

My handling for the bill switch relies on the fact that on every British banknote we have a common image (The Queen's Head)- if Hong Kong banknotes also have this feature, then my handling should work.

Besy wishes and Happy New Year!
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
63 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
......or even BEST wishes!

Whoops!
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Thanks David, I own a LePaul style wallet already that you can load a card into an envelope. The notes in Hong Kong are diferrent colors and sizes so a lot of bill switches don't work. I ordered the dvd and I am looking forward to learning the bottom palm. It looks great on the demo on the website. Best wishes to you too.

Best,

Sean Macfarlane