The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: McAbee Rings DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5211 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Looking for a solid review for McAbee Rings DVD !
I found the DVD at this web:
http://www.magikraft.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=3

Any useful moves and routines on the new DVD?
Online video:
http://magikraft.com/mcabee.html
I think this close up ring set is one of the strongest on the market!
fantasia
View Profile
New user
Texas, USA
2 Posts

Profile of fantasia
Here is a review I posted earlier on another site on the rings, I hope it helps
After playing around and using the McAbee rings in real world situations for a few months, I thought I would submit a review for the rest here to be able to read, and come to their own conclusions.
First off I have to say that when I first purchased this set it was the practice set which runs almost 50 dollars, so it isn’t for the casual performer or the mildly curious.
The effect is basically the same as the linking rings; you show three rings about the size of a woman’s bracelet, in a close up environment. They link and unlink at will, and even in the spectators own hands. At the end of the routine all can be left for examination.
The gimmick in the practice set is fairly well constructed and can’t be noticed if in motion or held at a desired angle and level to which is about eye level of the spectator.
The gimmick on the nickel-plated set is a thing of beauty. Even at close range and at any point of view it can be almost impossible to detect, which is to where the fault of the nickel-plated set lies. You will have to become very accustomed to the handling of this routine to be able to use the nickel-plated gimmick with any confidence at all.
Overall this is the same as the linking rings except that some magic happens in the spectators own hands, so you may get similar reactions as seen with the linking rings if not maybe more of a reaction because of the spectator involvement.
I would suggest anyone interested in this routine should purchase the practice set first. Get accustomed to the handling and watch the accompanied video tape of this routine and study the performance video instructions and read the included manual.
When you are confident with the handling, then you may consider buying the nickel-plated rings to which run about 90.00 dollars.
Overall more suited for the table magician or close up performer, I feel that this effect is very nice but yet can be steep in price. So it is up to the individual if they wish to do the magic of the McAbee rings.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The routine is a set routine of linking and unlinking. It is fun to perform and has some good magic. What fantasia calls a practice set is just a less expensive set that can be used in the real world.

I purchased the original many years ago. They were just gold bracelets from costume jewelry. They work well. There should be no worry of the spectators seeing the gaff do to the design of the rings.

The only new thing is the switch case offered, and an idea by Martin I believe on the finish. Watch the video, on the site, that is the complete routine as it has been for years. I do not suggest doing a crash link with these.

This fits close-up nicely. You start clean and end clean. If the women jewelry bothers you, just use the excuse that you found these in the lost and found box in the resturant you are working, and carry on the routine from there. The rings are made by James P. Riser so the quality is top notch. These are not just costume jewelry, but professional props made by an expert.

Recommended if you learn the routine and put the needed practice into a professional presentation.
only4card
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of only4card
Is the new DVD is same routine as on his VHS version ? Thanks
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
Without asking for exposure, are these simular to a ghost ring, or more along the lines of a standard gapped ring?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5453 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The DVD is the same routine as on the video. It has the one routine including some very clever moves that were not in the instructions that came with the props in the 1970's when it was first introduced.

The rings are neither like the "Ghost" rings or the "standard" rings. It is more along the lines of the "Newman" rings.

My first set (and a set I still have and use) is the gold version that Bill mentions. That set was purchased back in the late 70's and still looks pristine.

I also have a deluxe silver set made by Riser. I use both sets (not at the same time, I switch them depending on my mood and the venue).

I learned the routine the same way Martin Lewis did, from Brooks Conner’s printed instructions. Of course the Rings were a brainchild of Ralph McAbee with Carl Heck making the first rings. Conner put the routine together based on moves developed by McAbee and himself.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It is a great routine. I was blessed to have been the manager of Stan Allen's magic shop in Los Alamitos. Ralph McAbee lived just around the corner and hung out at the shop all the time. One day he walks in and shows me these silver bracelets that he hand just bought at some store nearby. He said watch and he linked and unlinked two of them. That's it. I was literally the first person to ever see the trick done! Hey....you have to have some freaking claim to fame and that's mine! Ralph was a gem among magicians. First, guy to take to the Magic Castle before I was 'of age'.

Some other very clever magicians took the basic idea that Ralph came up with and ran with it until they really had a thing of beauty. I think Brooks Conner did the most with it. Brilliant guy, wonder what happened to him? Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. BEst,
Brad Burt
halejs
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of halejs
You might want to take a look at James Riser's description of ring manufacture at

http://www.jamesriser.com/McAbee/Rings.html

Cheers, J
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
I got mine a few years back, was great watching him perform this routine!
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
So what ever came of Carl Heck. I remember him well. He was a cousin to my best friend growing up. I used to hang out at his magic shop all the time on Saturdays when he was in Bellflower, CA.

Thanks

Martin Blakley
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Wow, I bought these years ago from a lecture by Martin Lewis.
Never had a video instruction VHS or DVD.
How can I get the instructional DVD without having to buy a new set?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 10:28, magicHart wrote:
Wow, I bought these years ago from a lecture by Martin Lewis.
Never had a video instruction VHS or DVD.
How can I get the instructional DVD without having to buy a new set?

Contact Martin direct. He or his daughter will respond:

magic@magikraft.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, Suzie is his wife, not his daughter.

You can purchase just the DVD here on his web store site, only $25.

http://www.magikraft.com/category/Close-Up-Magic-3
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Thank you Bill for that info!