The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Recommended DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Are then any DVDs out there you would recommend as a must get? I've had enough cards for now, but I tried to learn some of Greg Wilson's On The Spot, but found most of it too hard and fidly. Too much of it relies on the Sylvester Pitch and other trick sleights which I just can't get the hang of. I'm thinking of getting his new set; is it less tricky? And are there any more DVDs which are good for table-hopping magic?

Thanks
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I reccomend David Regals DVD sets. I just recently purchased these and they are great.
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disagree with Corey on this one. David Regal makes great magic, but it would be mostly terrible for table-hopping. Many of his tricks use set-ups and gaffs, which are obviously impracticle in a restaurant setting. My suggestion: Nathan Kranzo's Visual Voodoo. There are better DVDs out there for the new magician looking to learn general all-purpose magic, but his effects are direct, powerfull, and mostly done in the hands. Be warned that there are some effects on this dvd which require moderate amounts of "sleight-of-hand", as well as a routine or two that use gaffs. But even the gaffed tricks reset quickly and cleanly. Check it out.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I apologize, I didn't notice at first that it was for table hopping.
dragonchaos91
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of dragonchaos91
Carl Andrews table hopping cups and balls.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
What about ropes trick? I highly recommend Richard Sander's Fiber Optics. No reset and it's great for table hopping.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Shikina
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
260 Posts

Profile of Shikina
You know what, scratch that thought on Nathan Kranzo if you don't want card effects. You can check out an old VHS by Steve Fearson called "magically delicious". Its got some interesting effects (one or two card items, but the rest not) and they are all impormptu-ish effects with items commonly found in restaurants.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Corey Burke's PayPhone DVD has some great walk around material. Ive seen Corey use this stuff to slay so many people. I think you'd like it. Smile
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
That Nathan Kranzo one seems interesting; I had a look and it's not all cards so that's quite good. Evolve, I have Fiber Optics, I forgot to mention that, and it is great.

But where can I find more information on Corey Burk's Payphone and Steve Fearson's Magically Delicious?

Thanks again.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I believe you can purchase Payphone at http://www.magicproshop.com
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Nathan Kranzo's "Visual Voodoo" is great!
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1695 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I second Corey Burke's Payphone DVD. Lots of great routines on there. If you're going to buy the dvd support Corey and order from him at http://www.Coreyburke.com
While there I suggest picking up his notes "Sense" they have some great ideas in there as well.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
For non-card walk-around, Doug Brewer's 'The Unexpected Visitor' is loaded with great, practical and fun effects. This is all coin effects, except for a mini cups and balls routine. I love this book, and consider it to be one of the best bargains out there. His website is jazzmagic.home.att.net. He also has this available on dvd, though I have only read the book, so I can't comment on that. Good luck!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2230 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Miracles While U Wait by Mark Jenesst is a GREAT DVD!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I think everyone should have the easy to master money and cards by Ammar. Your looking for noncard so I would say the money set. Aldo's standing room only is good as well. Magic any where any time by Losander is great! Another old video that gets over looked is Bill Tarr's now you see it ,now you don't. This maybe a hard video to find but well worth it. Another is Pocket full of Miricals by Jim Taylor.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
A lot of these sound great suggestions; I've dones some research and particularly interested in PayPhone and Visual Voodoo (even if it does have some cards). My only problem is that I live in the UK so the Payphone DVD is hard to get without spending loads on shipping Smile Does anyone know any English sites or selling their own copy?
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Danville, KY
77 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2005-07-31 19:46, flourish dude wrote:
..... Aldo's standing room only is good as well.....

I would second the Aldo Colombini suggestion.... I was just at his lecture this week, hosted by IBM Ring 130 in Jacksonville, Florida, and it was great! He does very simple, strong, time tested magic. You will not have any problem doing the majority of his stuff, and it is not super complicated. I purchased the 3 DVD set called "the Essential Aldo Colombini".
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Johnny Thompson, Tommy Wonder - older publications but pure genius and enough material for a couple of awesome acts! The new Daniel Garcia videos also have some awesome non card effects.

Best ,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2441 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
A lot of these sound great suggestions; I've dones some research and particularly interested in PayPhone and Visual Voodoo (even if it does have some cards). My only problem is that I live in the UK so the Payphone DVD is hard to get without spending loads on shipping Does anyone know any English sites or selling their own copy?

Try here:

http://www.merchantofmagic.co.uk

that's where I got mine from

Craig
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
Euguen Burger has good walk around matieral and does Simon Lovell. Jim pace has great routines and his videos are cheap.