The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: The Cheat DVD by Richard Turner vs. At The Card Table book by Darwin Ortiz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Hi Everybody.
Which one should I get?
They both look interesting, but I can't decide which one to get.
Any advice?
Thanks.
All the best,

Michael
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Depends on what you're looking for. "The Cheat" is an entertaining and informative DVD, but it's not an instructional DVD. Turner just demonstrates the moves. You could reconstruct some of it and learn the stuff that way, but it wouldn't be easy.

I'd get Ortiz's book. Great material and you get to learn how to do it.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Philip Chau
View Profile
Regular user
Macau
124 Posts

Profile of Philip Chau
Hi

I also agree that The Cheat has a lot of information but does not get very detailed.
I actually liked it very much. I think it's a very good source for beginner in this area, just to have an overview of some basic gambling sleights that is out there. The DVD covers a lot of moves, one after the other in a fairly fast way.
Just my opinion.

Philip
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
How many gambling effects in ATCT require a faro shuffle?
Nighthawk
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Nighthawk
This cheat is not for magicians....its good, informative....but as has been stated in this forum.....there is no true detailed teaching....I sorta expected this ....but was still dissappointed with the product.
Richard Tremblay
View Profile
Regular user
Québec, Canada
120 Posts

Profile of Richard Tremblay
If your are looking for routine of high caliber, go with "At the card table". Some require second dealing, some require faro shuffle but there is also material less challenging technically (Mexican Poker for example). The gambling section is very good as well as the tricks section. There are real winners in this book.

As for Richard Turner DVD, it is basically a compilation of gambling moves. It is not a teaching DVD but you certainly can learn from it by playing back and in slow motion.

Hope thid helps.

Richard Tremblay
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1136 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Impromptuboy,

If you are interested in gambling themed routines and gambling sleights, then both these works are important. There is some overlap in that you can use different techiques in the Ortiz routines developed from the Turner DVD. I have both and wouldn't be without either. However, learning to do the moves and routines smoothly and seemlessly is along long road. Good luck.

Regards,

Paul H
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I HIGHLY recommend purchasing Darwin's "At the Card Table" book! It is one of the best books I own on card magic. You will not be disappointed.

I wish you the best!

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill