The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Troy Hooser's DVDs vrs. his book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
I want to get the book but his latest DVDs are said to be excellent. Is the same stuff he shows on DVDs in his Destroyers book?

The price of the DVD set is just beyond me for the time being and the book is only $30.

Thanks up front.
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
Hey Pavlo,
Troy is a buddy of mine, and all I can say is that his stuff is GREAT! There are a couple things on his DVD's that are not in his book, and there are other things which are in his book and not in his DVD's. Bob Kohler did a great job of producing the DVD's, and Joshua Jay did an excellent job of writing it. So, it depends on how you want to learn the material.
I highly suggest that you invest in both. If you are skeptic about some of the material in the book, you HAVE to see the dvd's to notice that it can be done and that it plays VERY well. All the material in the book is EXCELLENT, and all the material in the DVD's are excellent as well.
Maybe start off with the book and learn it first, and if you are curious about any moves then refer to the DVD's.
Troy is very nice, humble, and talented. You will need to study the stuff in the book and DVD's though, but it will pay off. All the stuff is commercial and can be used in performance.

I hope this helps! The stuff on it is great. It is up to you whether you want to learn from a excellent book, or some very good dvd's, I suggest first the book, and later watch the DVD's to get a better idea of the actions. They are both a MUST have if you like visual, quick in the hands magic that will get a INCREDIBLE reaction from the audience. I use so much from the DVD's and books, and I am sure you will find this material as useful as I have.

Sincerely,
Doug-The Magic Sponge
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Thanks a lot MagicSponge. I'll get the book as soon as I can. I heard it is an excellent book. Now I'm waiting for the Focus book to arrive and Destroyers is gonna be next on my list to get.
Thanks a lot. You've been very helpful. I'll trust you. Pavlo
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
Thank you for your kind response. I know you will be happy with deSTROYers. Also when you buy it, get a 'flipper coin' as it will prove useful when learning the stuff.
All I will say is don't pass the stuff in Troy's book up, it is great, practice, learn it, and use it. It plays well and is great.
Thanks again,
Best of luck with it all, you will not be dissapointed.

Sincerely,
Doug-The Magic Sponge
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I apologize for raising and old topic, but I too am thinking about about purchasing Hooser's book or dvd set. Are they very similar in material. That is, how many tricks from the DVD are missed in the book? Is it his best material that is overlapping, and if not, on which do you think the material is better? Does it use a lot of gimmicks that one might not normally have?

Thanks
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
A dissenting voice;
The book is realy exciting. The way the material is written, illustrated etc. and by no means least, Jay Joshua's incredibly fantastic coments about Troy, his manner, his delivery. And then, REAL LIFE, the DVDs. This is exciting, mystical, incredible presentation? A lot of it is, "watch this coin go here and then this coin goes there". I kept waiting for the magical experience for which Jay had set me up; it just never happened.
There is ONE routine that read so exciting well in the intro that I set it aside till last, like icing on the cake. When I found out that Kohler was producing that as a separate item --now that really is a bit much, putting out some effect on a DVD then holding back for $$ the "better" one as a separate item --I decided to wait and not even look at the item before seeing it actually performed. I never did see the DVD, but n the meantime, other locals began performing it. My evaluation, "it's OK. It's kind of nice, not earth shaking--not at all."
So, different strokes for .....MartyK
playzure
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of playzure
Thinking the book is very well written and you can learn most things from the book but of course it's harder for some then learning from videotape.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have the book but not the dvds. I love the book, but I would suggest to you the Dvds since he has more stuff on it and his color changing deck routine.
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
I prefer the book over the DVD's for one simple reason: the book has his Charming Chinese Challenge which is great. That alone is worth the price of the book.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I had his DVD's and sold them I just didn't care for them. He might be creative, but kinda dull. Doesn't take away from his as a person or as a creator, just as a performer, for me.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I agree with Marty K that the writing of DesTROYers seems over-hyped. Some of the "just the way he holds a deck of cards is an incredible display of superhuman..." struck me as over-the-top.

I think the book (like most books) is a better value than the DVD. Of course, I haven't seen the videos, but the book is worth it for Charming Chinese Challenge.

IMHO, his coin routines are far superior to his card routines. I wish they would put all of his coin work on one or two DVD's. As it is now, you have to buy all three DVD's to get the coin routines.