The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Daniel Garcia's Torn Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Hey, anyone know this version of torn and restored theme? It says that it is better then ripped and restored and other versions.

Anyone have a review about it?

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
I just saw that it is being offered on Magicsmith, but there is no review there. I too would like to hear of a review. It sounds like it could be a good one. Is it one piece at a time?

Corey B.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I'm sitting here with my pre-creased Jack of Clubs just waiting for another method to come matriculating down the reparatory gullet Smile

--Just kidding. I'm curious as well.
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
I've seen the tape and I've seen Daniel do the effect. It's the best out there -- anywhere.

A signed card is torn into four pieces. The first two pieces are held very cleanly and brought together, and they just stick. No cover. The restoration is very magical. The next piece is brought up and likewise, it joins the first two. The final piece is then joined to the first three, and the card immediately handed back to the spectator.

Daniel's method is pretty clever, and it gets away from wiping the pieces, covering them at odd moments, or any of that. I'm pretty hard to impress sometimes, but this one has won great favor with me because the restorations are so clean and the way magic should look.

Is there room for improvement? Perhaps, but not much. Any improvement would be in the areas of finesse or subtlety, those small details that would barely be perceptible by the audience anyway. In any event, he fooled everyone present with his effect, even after watching him do it multiple times.

TCR
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I saw Daniel perform this recently at TAOM and boy was I impressed. It is leaps and bounds better than any other that I've seen to date -- I know it's an overused expression but it truly looked like real magic and had everyone at the convention buzzed. Fooled EVERYONE. The restorations are incredibly clean. I saw it three times and while I have an idea how it was done, the first restoration still has me stumped big time. Well to be entirely accurate, they all have me stumped. I saw Hollingworth perform his in the Parlor at the Castle in 97 I think and it wasn't a shadow of this. If I was to do a T&R effect, it would be this one. Speaking of, I just might now.
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
Can you tell us the benefits? Is it done with a signed card? Is it done with the face or the back? Is there a lot of prep before hand? Are the torn pieces put in pockets like in ripped and restored?

Tony
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
I'll just add to Tony's questions,

How are the LAST PIECES restored, does it need to be covered with hands (the hands apparently hold the last piece, like Ripped & Restore)?

Where does the spectator sign the card (at the back or in front of the card)?

Do we need to force a card?

Hengky
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Good grief,

You know I really thought that the torn-and restored forests have been completely cut down. There's nothing I hate worse than somebody torpedoing my comfortable assertions. We must put a stop to this.

Smile
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Eric, I was there with you at the same convention, and the first restoration blew me away, too. You'll be kicking yourself when you learn what it is. It's the height of simplicity and therefore brilliance. Part of what impressed me so much was Daniel's youth, and I hope he can continue to come up with magic of this caliber. In time, as he (and therefore his performance) matures, things like Torn can only get better in his hands.

To answer the other questions flying around, it wouldn't be fair to tip Daniel's method, of course, but here's exactly what it looks like:

A card is signed on the back. It's torn into four pieces. Two of the pieces are pocketed for the moment. The remaining two are held -- one in each hand and backs to the audience -- and simply touched together at an edge. Everything is in plain sight, and the two join together. Right before your eyes with no cover. The third piece is retrieved from the pocket and joined to the first two. The fourth piece is likewise retrieved from the pocket and joined. The card is immediately handed to the spectator.

The restorations are done with the backs of the pieces always to the audience; the identity of the card is irrelevant, so no forces are necessary. At all times, the spectator can see his signature on pieces of the card.

There's a nominal set up, of course, and it takes only a moment. Someone who performed this piece regularly could easily set up fifty in advance and walk around doing it all night long. I can't answer the question about how the fourth piece is handled because that would tip part of the method. I can say that the price of Daniel's video is well worth learning this effect.

Cheers,

TCR
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
That sounds excellent Smile .

I'll have to go take a look at this now. Reformation is a bit too fiddly for my liking.

Euan
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Another 2 cents:

Daniel performed this at last week's LVMI and fooled virtually everyone.

I'm no brainiac but I do have the original Reformation tape and have studied the variations since. But this fooled Bob Kohler and he's pretty sharp [understatement!] Smile

Regretfully, I didn't pick up the vid from Daniel at the convention. I hear he's got a website coming up but it's "under construction".

Does anyone know where we can buy this?

Steve H Smile
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
You can order this item here.

Click Here!

I am getting mine today!
Drive Carefully
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
How much was he charging for the video at the convention?
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1170 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Well I've known Daniel for several years now and can honestly say his magic is top notch. Btw...it was spoken earlier about Daniel that he was only 16...this rumor is incorrect in that Daniel is actually in his twenties! So that takes care of that. Anyway...watch out for this guy, he's got some great magic!

Luke
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
That was my fault, Luke. I was told he was sixteen, but what happened was that Daniel was saying he's been doing magic for sixteen years and someone misheard him.

Sorry about that!

TCR
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Guys, last Saturday night I had the ideal Magic Castle experience: I saw some great magic, (John George's close up act) Did some magic I claimed was "great" (Doug Brewer and I did some stuff for the "overflow" audience) and got my %#& kicked by a new trick.

I liked Daniel's "Torn" so much I made him do it again for Chris Smith, and Chris bought every video Daniel had, on the spot. (There was this great moment where we were all out in the Castle parking lot carrying out this trunk-to-trunk transaction, luckily the police were not alerted)

And Chris liked "Torn" so much that the video is on the Magicsmith website Monday morning!

Get this. It's the best I've ever seen, and I've worked with them all (except "ripped and restored") This is not merely a handling change. Daniel has improved the effect substantially.

You're going to want it later when he advertises it with the Copperfield endorsement, so just go ahead and get it now.

Fact of the matter is, he didn't have that many to sell to Chris, so I know there aren't many left.

Thanks Daniel, for the perfect end to a killer evening at the Castle.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2286 Posts

Profile of Logan
I'm really interested in 'Torn', but I have to say that the description of the effect is much like 'Ripped & restored', I mean with all the 'no cover' restorations.

What's the big difference?

Cheers!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Is the video available anywhere in the UK?

Euan
gamma105
View Profile
Regular user
City of Evil
150 Posts

Profile of gamma105
Is there any stream vids of the effect on the web anywhere? Because it does sound a bit similar to Ripped and Restored... I'm a sucker for restorations.... oh heck, I'm gonna get it... Smile
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Yes, I agree too that this effect sounds exactly like "Ripped & Restored" by Yves.

Is it different from audience's view compare with "Ripped & Restored"?

If different, what is the different?

Hengky