The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Front Row Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I recently attended the Magi-Fest and purchased Jay's new dvd which is not out on the market yet. It's called Front Row Sankey and we finally get to see Jay perform in front of a live audience. The dvd contains about 16-18 new effects. I have a lot of Sankey material including Sankeytized I and II, Sankey 99, and the Secret Files. I have to say that I enjoyed this dvd very much and I think you will too. The material included is often very strong and is classic Sankey meaning there is nothing knuckle-busting about any of the routines. The effects use cards, coins, bills, and matches.

I'm sure Penguin will be selling the dvd soon so you'll be able to see a full list of contents. Of note, I've been having a great time with Jay's routine Fan Mail. Basically, you have a spectator sign a slip of paper. You show that you have already done the same and you fold your autograph and cleanly place it in your pocket. (it really is in your pocket). You then very fairly change teh spectator's autograph into your autograph and imemediately pull the spectator's autograph from your pocket. Everything can be examined. This is a new routine for an old method but what a new routine it is. I've done it probably 35 times since I learned it and it kills.

There is also a new handling for Jay's paperclipped routine which gets a great reaction on the dvd.

I think the dvd is worth your consideration. I have gotten my money's worth from Fan Mail alone. Plus, unlike other Sankey tapes, you get to see Jay perform the routines before he explains them. To me, this is important.

Just thought I would give you a preview.

Eric
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks a lot for the review. Could you perhaps list the contents? Thanks.
Yours,

Ivan
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
Was the DVD recorded live before a lay audience or magicians?
timofy
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of timofy
Quote:
On 2005-02-22 01:31, SHOC wrote:
Was the DVD recorded live before a lay audience or magicians?

It was for a lay audience at various bars etc.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Basically, it's just Jay table hopping for one or two people at a time. If you are familiar with Sankey material, you probably won't be fooled by anything on the dvd, but as Jay emphasizes, these are tricks for real world lay people. All are highly visual and surprising. I recommend it.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
But are they NEW routines he hasn't included on other DVD's and pleeeeease tell me it DOESN'T include coins across.......
catch you later

Clarioneer
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Whats wrong with coins accross? Sure it is on like 5 DVD's, but it kills!!!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
There are some new handlings of some old Sankey material like Paperclipped, and a couple of routines that utilize his mainstay moves like the Erdnase color change and the Tenkai Pinch but I don't recall seeing any tricks that have been included on other tapes. And yes, there is a trick that is similar to a coins across routine but this is included as a bonus trick rather than one of the effects performed for real people.

Again, you will probably not be fooled by anything but you will get some usable real world tricks. And I would be willing to bet that 75% of the people that buy the dvd will do Fan Mail.
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Is the date known we it will be released?
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I believe in his email he said it will be some time in March.
Yours,

Ivan
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
Can't wait, sounds promissing
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
realorcy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of realorcy
I love watching magicians performe for real layman in real world,not those trained audience.
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
Quote:
On 2005-02-15 16:09, niva wrote:
Thanks a lot for the review. Could you perhaps list the contents? Thanks.

Fan Mail: The spectator's and the magician's autographs visually change places!
Full Lotus: An inexplicable exchange of a folded joker and a signed card!
Shake & Bake: The coin production that proves, "Hearing is believing!"
Slow Motion Coins: A "coins across" effect as deliberate as it is deadly!
Not This Card!: Jay's favorite handling of Frank Everhardt's "Chicago Opener!"
Shape of Things to Come: A heartstopping, double-climax mentalist's dream!
Real Magic: Freshly written words melt through a dollar bill!
Hypnotarized: A hypnotized spectator starts seeing some truly weird sh*t!
Litmus Test: A blank card first gains, then loses an identity!
Close Contact: Two spectators, one card, and an astonishing occurance!
Deviant Behavior: Four jokers escape from the pack in a most elegant fashion!
Out of Sight: A deck production combined with a bizarre mental routine!
Vital Signs: Paper matches travel in and out of the spectator's fist!
The Phoenix Effect: Fire + mentalism + a signed card = a reputation maker!
Inseparable: The last word on linking rubber band routines!
One of One: A drawing and a playing card undergo a startling transformation!
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I like Sankey and have my eye on this. I have many of his videos as well and love the material he creates.
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
This is my third Sankey tape and I like it very much. As has been said before, a lot of it uses Jay's "standby" sleights, and there are some variations on some of his other marketed material, but this is strong stuff. I'm planning to start testing out several of the effects from this one. It's also nice to see the effects performed for live audiences. Nothing too complicated, just some strong magic. Not magician-foolers, but it's clear from the reactions on the DVD that lay audiences really like these effects.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Though I don't quite like Jay Sankey's style and some (not all) of his material, the demo of this DVD looks really good I must say...
I guess performing to real lay audiences really make a difference in these DVDs??
tbaronio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of tbaronio
I have all of Jay's tapes and DVD's and this, by far, is one of his best!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Rather than clutter up with new threads, I'll add to this one. My first "real" review of any product.

Front Row Sankey – Jay Sankey

I’m not giving any X/10 ratings, simply because I feel they’re too subjective. I will give a breakdown of each effect, and the overall quality of the video/audio. Here we go.

Audio/Video Quality – Not quite as nice during the performance as it is during the explanations, but he is out in restaurants, malls, etc. The performances were shot with a fisheye lens, in order to allow us to see more of the “whole” picture, and allow us to feel more like we’re right there in the action. Jay explains this. For the audio, it’s certainly not much of a distraction, but the performances are slightly distorted, just the occasional bit of static, etc, which I also attribute to the “guerilla” nature of shooting the performances. Nothing to get upset over.
The audio and video during the explanation parts are just fine. I know people were unhappy on Jay’s Revolutionary Card Magic DVD during the parts where he was in the hotel hallway. There’s nothing that bad on this disc. Everything is seen and heard quite clearly for the explanations.
Most of the effects are performed for real audiences in restaurants, malls, etc. This is one of the strongest points of the DVD. You’re still getting Jay’s sense of humor, but you get to see how he applies it to his real working experience. A few of the effects are interspersed as “Bonus Effects” and are fully performed and explained in the studio, no live audience. They’re still strong effects, and are marked as “(B.E.)” next to the effect’s title. Now for the effects…

Fan Mail – A variation on the classic bill switch, where a paper signed by the spectator magically changes places with a paper signed by the performer. I like this one a lot, it’s visually striking, involves the spectator on a personal level, and the motivation makes more sense to me than turning a bill inside out. Thumbs up, would make a good opener.

Full Lotus – A new handling on Jay’s Paperclipped idea where a spectator’s signed card changes places with a folded, clipped Joker. This is my favorite version of the Paperclipped idea, and I’m looking forward to adding it to my repertoire.

Shake and Bake (B.E.) – A borrowed coin doubles, then triples. A pretty clean production of 3 coins. This one could work as a stand alone effect, or as an intro to a coins across or 3-fly routine. Nice opener.

Slow Motion Coins – Three coins are placed into the hand, and then travel back into your pocket, while the spectator holds onto your wrist. This could be used right after Shake and Bake, or by itself. The slowness in performing this routine is what makes it powerful, and seemingly impossible.

Not This Card – A new handling on the classic Chicago Opener effect with some good changes and suprises.

Shape of Things to Come – The spectator takes a pack of ESP cards and mixes them well. He/She does this under the table, then selects two cards. The performer devines both. The first, the spectator knows, this one is an experiment in “telepathy”. The next one isn’t know by the spec or performer, but it is known anyway. An experiment in “clairvoyance”. This one will BLOW AWAY lay audiences. I don’t do very much mentalism, but I like this one a lot. Could work well as a closer.

Real Magic (B.E.) – Another variation on the classic bill switch, where writing magically “melts” through a borrowed bill. This one isn’t bad, but I much prefer Fan Mail over it, another good opener.

Hypnotarized – A card magically changes into the spectator’s card under the guise of hypnosis. Not too bad, not outstanding. Always handy to have another color-change effect.

Litmus Test (B.E.) – A double-blank card gains a face, then a back, then loses them again. Not a bad effect, but probably my least favorite on the disc, mostly because I find the “Topper” move a bit fishy. I may have liked it more if I had seen an audience reaction on this one.

Close Contact – Best if performed for a couple. The man mixes the deck and selects a card, all under the table. He peeks his card, then shuffles it back into the deck, still under the table. The deck is brought out. The cards are spread and the woman chooses any card. The selected card is left on the table, the rest of the deck put away. The man reveals his card, and the card on the table is turned over, revealing it’s the same card! This one is great for couples, best suited for them actually. There is no forcing, and it’s easy to do. You’ll kill with this one. Would make a great closer.

Deviant Behavior – A new version of the standard “place 4 cards into the deck and they magically come back to the top”. In this one, four Jokers are placed through the deck, only for one of them to come back to the top of the deck, two to your pockets, and the final to your fly. The deck is clean afterward, no extra Jokers. A good effect, would be fine as a “middle” to your routine. As Jay says, this is a “watch me” effect. Maybe a little risqué for some with the fly part, but that’s easily changed to another pocket, etc.

Out of Sight (B.E.) – A card is selected from an invisible deck, marked with an X and replaced in the box. The cards then magically appear in the box, and one card is marked with an X, which turns out to be the though of card.. For those who like I.D. routines without the gimmicked I.D. No force.

Vital Signs – A new match and a burned match trade places. Done in the spectator’s hands. Similar to a dime and penny in the hands switch. Minimal sleights, strong magic. I like this one, especially in a restaurant with it’s own matches. Good way to promote the venue.

The Phoenix Effect – Others have stated that this one could be sold on its own, and I agree. It’s pretty strong magic. A spectator selects a card. He/She then initials the back of a different card. The initial is wiped off the card. The paper with the smeared ink is then set ablaze over the deck, and the initial re-materializes on the first selected card, in the middle of the deck. This written description really does not do the effect justice. It’s really strong magic, and this is going into the show as soon as possible.

Inseparable (B.E.) – A fairly typical Crazy Man’s Handcuffs routine, where the bands link at the end. Spec. can keep the linked bands. In this one, the bands have both been broken and tied back together before the effect. This makes the final link a bit more feasible, but for me lessens the magic in the effect. I feel that if a spec. sees the broken bands “melt” through each other, they may just not be as wowed as they would with whole, new bands. Good for someone who’s never done a CMH and wants to learn one, but I’d recommend Harlan’s material over this one.

One of One – The spectator selects a card. The magician draws a picture of a card on the back of a Joker, which turns out to be an incorrect prediction. The drawing then magically changes into a correct prediction, and the Joker itself turns into the selected card. Strong magic, several magical moments. Nothing complicated, could make a nice giveaway.

Overall, the magic here is strong and usable. No magician foolers, but hard-hitting stuff for laypeople. No tough sleight of hand, and most of it requires little setup, if any. This is my third Sankey DVD, and by far my favorite. Definitely recommended, particularly for strolling or table-hopping magicians.
Kevin Reylek
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2287 Posts

Profile of Logan
Mercury,

after reading your very nicely written review, I may give this a 2nd look.

I am not a huge Sankey fan, but I admit he has good material once in a while.

Take care guys,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
Mercury52:
Nice review, but 'no forcing' in Close Contact??? That statement is *not* accurate. I do like the effect though and I agree with pretty much everything else you've written.
Fan Mail is definitely one of the stars as are the Phoenix Effect, Vital Signs and One of One.
I thought Hypnotarized was weak (essecntially a thin dressing for a colour change), which isn't to say that it would play badly for lay people; I think they might like it. My problem is that something this simplistic doesn't deserve space on a DVD.
The other effect I really don't like is Real Magic. As you pointed out, it's simlar to Fan Mail but weaker. Given that Fan Mail is on this DVD I'm not sure why Real Magic is here at all especially since Sankey indicates that *he* think's it's weaker.
Overall though I really like this CD and it's great to see Sankey performing close-up for real people.
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.