The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Suspended Dimension DVD - The Jacketless Topit by Dan Sylvester (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
BTW: FISM 2000 close-up champion Simo Aalto has a topit that doesn't even use a shirt! His new lecture was all about using it.
ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
I am also in the market for a topit. I have recently purchased the pattern for the Ammar topit, and I am having my wife make me a "Pirate's Vest" and adding in Pockets, and the topits. Once she has done so and I am able to test it out and such, I'll let everyone know how it goes, and possibly convince her to make more to sell. (She is a professional seamstress)

If you are interested in a vest like this, PM me.

Jeff
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Think of the title.... "Suspended". Sound like any article of clothing? That might not be the right answer, but it sure sounds like a hint.

Anyway... I don't think I would wear suspenders(if that is what it is) with a t-shirt, it just isn't my style. When you buy a topit you at least know you will have a jacket.

I don't want to buy a topit if it makes me look like a doofus! and if it IS slitting your shirt and hiding it with suspenders, we should at least be told that we have to wear suspenders before hand even if you don't need to alter the shirt. I mean for all we know this topit could include a huge fanny pack in your front or a slit in a black t-shirt, where you have to paint your chest black(black art Smile )...

We should be told more than "its the best topit ever".
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
I agree that more clarification is needed. It isn't necessary to say what modification needs to be made in detail, but I do think that the ad should say if you need to wear something in particular (such as suspenders). I know for a fact if anyone I knew saw me wearing suspenders, there is no way that I could explain the suspenders away. Even if I was doing a card trick they would blame the suspenders because they are out of the ordinary for me. In some cases with advertising, I understand the need to not disclose the workings of the trick, but in this case they are telling us it is a topit. This means that they have already told us how it works!! Letting people know a little more detail wouldn't be giving away that much more.
SimplyMagic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SimplyMagic
John Clarkson hit the nail on the head. Why should magic be different than other product shopping?

I'm interested in this effect and if I found out the method, would still buy it if I was going to use.

I'm a cautious consumer and don't want to be burned.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
But that's because you're honest. Unfortunately, not everyone is. The difference is that in magic, if the secret is known, you could make or do the effect without buying it.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
SimplyMagic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SimplyMagic
Marko makes another great point. It's amazing the amount of magicians that will actually sell "their" version of a marketed effect.

Jay Sankey recently had a problem with Jim Pace ( they solved it ) because an effect Jay fretted was "re-marketed".

I think the Internet has caused many more problems than it has solved.

Anyone else have thoughts on this???
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-05-28 11:40, ClodAppleleft wrote:
I am also in the market for a topit. I have recently purchased the pattern for the Ammar topit, and I am having my wife make me a "Pirate's Vest" and adding in Pockets, and the topits. Once she has done so and I am able to test it out and such, I'll let everyone know how it goes, and possibly convince her to make more to sell. (She is a professional seamstress)

If you are interested in a vest like this, PM me.

Jeff

Jeff,

I might be interested. Please let me know how yours "goes", and, if possible send a picture of it after completion. I have some vests, I'd be happy to have made with topits, if practical and not costing an arm and a leg.

Thanks,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
The price of ANYTHING is the value it has to the purchaser and what the marketplace thinks its worth.... (and as long as the advertising is not deceptive) ....I remember years ago buying MISLED at a convention from the creator TIM WENK for $18, when in the car opening the package and going "OH WHAT A RIP OFF", well I was so WRONG, that gimmick is priceless to me.......now I see in Magic Magazine a CARD TRICK with an ELECTRONIC DISPLAY CARD BOX for $1,900 !!!, (may I suggest a good marked deck???) wow that's some card trick!....if someone pays that for a card trick I guess they think its worth it.....so its NOT overpriced, if NONE sell the price will come down or the item will be out of production.....for me Color Monte, NFW, Anything deck, Sam the Bellhop, double back ambitious card, twisting the aces, etc., will do just fine.. Smile
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
I agree that the price of anything is the value that the purchaser thinks it is worth. That is why I think that if you were to find a use for this topit in your act, $60 is way too cheap. However, if you buy this and find out that you need a set up that isn't practical to you, then $20 would be way too much because you would never use it.

Another note:
I think that the Internet has caused many problems as far as purchasing magic, or things in general. This site is a perfect example of how the more information people have available, the more they want (myself included). I think that one reason for this is that we are buying items without personal interaction. We aren't going into a shop anymore and talking one on one to somebody else about it. Because we lose that personal interaction when we buy something we also lose our trust. I know that if I walked into a magic store and the person working there recommended an item, I would be more likely to buy it than if five people in the Café recommended something. The person knows that if I don't like the product, I am going to be telling him about it. There isn't this anonymous veil that people can hide behind when they tell everyone that an item is amazing when they don't have it or if they tell the creator of an effect that they think they are selling a crappy item that is a piece of junk. The lack of interaction has caused people to lose respect for each other. I think that people buying tricks need to respect those creating and not say things to trash the item because it might not fit their style, it isn't what they expected, or in many cases because they just haven't practiced it enough. On the other hand, I think that sellers need to be a little more honest so that we know if an item will fit our style and how much practice is involved. And if an item isn't what you expected....good! Then the spectator won’t expect it either so don't act so disappointed.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I'm sorry, but you guys are digging for information way too far here. I mean, breaking down the title of the DVD to assume what it is - to me that just seems ludicrous.

If you are that wary about spending the money, than wait until it's out and someone reviews it. THEN you can start asking questions. But until then, geez, this constant digging around to try to find out the secret to this is a little annoying.
Corey King
SimplyMagic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of SimplyMagic
Corey K has it right. We sound like the political analysts on Larry King ;-)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone receive this DVD yet???
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
No, Chris...mine hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know when it does.
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Any review...
We are still waiting.....
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Hengky, it's still not being shipped yet. Patience guys, patience...
Corey King
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
132 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
I saw Sylvester's original version of this about 12 years ago. It's extremely clever and deceptive. Will take a smidge of work (what doesn't), but you'll have a real utility device on your hands. Just remember the key rule that applies to things like this, holdouts, topits, and sleeves: DON'T OVERUSE IT! Having said that, I encourage you to get one. You won't be disappointed.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
So is it out yet?
I saw some ads in the DVD section that are offering it as second hand, so it should actually be out.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Just wondering how many of you guy's would work paid performances without a jacket or waist coat/VEST ?

I know I would not.... so I really do not see the benefit of this product
Phillip
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I heard from Hocus-Pocus that the DVDs were scheduled to arrive today. I don't know if they showed up, but it shouldn't be much longer, if at all.