The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: James Brown DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Apollo gave me a phone call yesterday to clear some things up and to give me both sides of the story. Apollo is saying that James in one of his routines is using the exact moves, patter and mannerisms etc. Apollo hasnt taught any of these moves or mannerisms etc on a DVD, he saves them only for his lecture, yet when he watched the DVD, he saw his material that he strived to keep going to public to every magician. This is his main problem with the DVD. Apollo just wants an apology from James and a confession. No-one can say for sure whether James has or hasnt seen Apollo Lecture, but as Gary is a friend of mine, when I last spoke, he assured me James had NEVER seen the lecture as they are friends.
Now I have both points of view, my mind is clearer on a lot of things, and I thanks Apollo for that. He also wants to thanks Peter Nardi for noticing the similarities and pulling the plug on the DVD. There is no need for arguements, and I hope when James gets back, all involved can make up and all can be left behind
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2006-05-20 08:26, James Harrison wrote:
Greg Arce-

Please do not take this as me stirring the pot, I'm only after some answers.

I watched both James Brown's dvd demo and his promo video, and I have Apollo Robbins on Guerilla magic, mondo magic and his promo video.

I didn't really see much similarity with the too performers.

It was like watching two boxers, Apollo moves with grace and skill, where James Brown has a different flavour to his work.

What routine is it that James does similar to Apollo's?

Again, not stirring, just curious

I have seen both videos of this particular routine... I don't know how James performs his other routines, but in this one each beat, each step, each nuance looks like it's an exact copy of what Apollo has already done.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I can't see the apollo robbins promo, for some reason, can anyone send me a working link t it, maybe someone could post it on one of these video hosting sites?
Nick
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Michael T
PM James Brown he has got an old lecture video of Apollos.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Walsall, the video require Quicktime to view the demo video on the wensite
www.magicman13.co.uk

matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Christopher Williams, have you a link of the promo?
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

www.magicman13.co.uk

gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi,

I`ve just had a long chat with James Brown and I`ve also had the opportunity to watch some clips of Apollo doing his coin on shoulder routine.

Yes there are some similarities but there are good reasons for this. To load an object onto someone, you must consider gravity ie; to stop the object from falling off the shoulder/back of hand etc you have to place that particular body part into a certain position. Both James and Apollo use very similar techniques for this. During many hours of sessioning with James we also came up with these types of methods for loading and blocking etc, it is the obvious thing to do, it`s really the only way to stop the coin falling off the shoulder. When you practice this type of magic, (touchy/ballsy type magic) you have to use very strong audience management and moves which will block and lock the spectators movement.Paths are bound to cross due to the type of magic being performed and taking gravity as a major consideration in the construction of this type of effect.

During James' routine the coin is only loaded onto the spectators shoulder once. His routine starts out with coin in eye, followed by coin on shoulder, then coin under their watch and ending with a watch steal and their watch on their shoulder.
This by the way is performed with just one coin. The emphasis is on the watch steal and their watch appearing on their shoulder.

In Apollo`s routine, the coin appears on their shoulder twice but the emphasis is on the coin under the watch at the end. I think in the clip I saw he had to abort the watch steal so his ending is normally different from the clip I saw. I believe Apollo starts out with just one coin then brings another one into play during the routine.

As you can see from the above there is a huge difference in the routines, yes they do have similar styles, this is due to the nature of the magic being performed. Watch two pickpockets perform, you will see similar styles, blocking techniques and similar methods of misdirection being employed.

I just think it`s a shame that this whole project has been scrapped due to some IMO false allegations and the way people have tried to wreck James' reputation.

I really do not think anyone should be claiming coin on shoulder as their own, also coin/chip on shoulder appears on some of the Gregory Wilson DVD`s so it`s already in the magic domain. I really believe James has improved or at least changed it enough to warrant it being seen by a larger audience.

I suppose magic is full of big ego`s due to the nature of the business but when it comes to trying to damage reputations I take that seriously.

All the best,

Gary Jones
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Can I ask, is it just this one routine that is the reason for the DVD being stopped? Though after speaking to Gary and Apollo, and emailing James, I still see no reason for the DVD to go ahead. There seems to be one routine stopping it going ahead. This routine has valid grounds to go onto the DVD, but even if people don't want it on there, leave it out and release the other work
www.magicman13.co.uk

gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
974 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Hi all,

Check out page 258 in The New Modern Coin Magic by J.B.Bobo,

"Milton Kort tells me of an interesting experience he had with a hook coin and another magician. He pretended to place the coin in his left hand, but retained it in his right. Then as he gently pushed his friend back so the others could see, he hooked the coin on his sleeve. Having a little knowledge of trick coins, the magician smiled knowingly and felt his shoulder and found the coin."

There you have it, copyright July 1952.

I think this ends all debates, now can the James Brown DVD be finally released.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
Preston Lavericke
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Preston Lavericke
There it is folks, in green and white.
I want to add my name to the petition along with Gary Jones, Luke Jermay et al - let's this product released so we are all allowed to unleash the wonder once and for all.
Don't deny our dreams.
Mind the magic?
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
In fareness to Luke Jermay he has not sullied his good name in all this... his quote was a personal remark about my work rather than a direct endorsement of the DVD. I wouldn't want him drawn into something that could tarnish his standing in Las Vegas.

BUT... Thank you all for your comments...

James Brown
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I saw James perform at The Session convention earlier this year and he was brilliant. I was very much looking forward to seeing his DVD. I hope things can be sorted out and that the DVD can be finally released.

Iain.
pkmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Paul knight
140 Posts

Profile of pkmagic
Likewise, I too was very much looking forward to James`s DVD. Alas. Im sure the whole escapade over this DVD has been quite upsetting for those involved. I personally think the whole thing has been ridiculous. James Brown deserves to do well. He is a superb entertainer who contributes so much quality and enthusiasm to magic. Knowing James and his work and determination this will not be the last you here from James. Guys like this deserve the appreciation they work so hard for, and in this fickle world of magic we choose to live in, lets give a little back to those who give so much.

James - don't let the ***s get you down!

Paul Knight

p.s. I am not trying to lick James`s butt here, hell, I wouldnt lick my own, and remember, as I often tell young blonde girlies, its not the size of the wand that counts - its the magic in it.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Just wondering.
Has anyone received a refund from Mr. Brown as yet? I had placed an order for the DVD, but I just found out about the decision to abandon the project.
Patrick
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
The project has not been abandoned... simply halted for the mo. Plans are under way to bring you all something soon... Including stuff that till now I was not willing to divulge. Keep watch.

With regards to refunds... Anyone that thinks they are still owed contact me direct via magic@jbmagicman.co.uk, although my paypal account tells me everyone recieved a refund weeks ago.

All the best

James Brown
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Looking forward to the new release James
www.magicman13.co.uk

theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
Cheers Chris
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Any idea on the time scale until we get look forward to getting you release james?
thanks, and all the best with the project
matt
theboss
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of theboss
4 - 6 months we hope.