The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Best & Worst L&L Publishing DVD sets (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
TAJ, you look so, so...how do I say it? You look so....familiar!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2903 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Ross, I think the Krenzel taped were made in the same timeframe as the Professor's videos. Somewhere in the early 80's. They were put out by Videonics in Canada. He had a neat thing. Since they were all his tapes, he rented them or you could buy them. I think it was Hans Zann. He had a large catalog of names. Pavel, Bernard, Cyprian and many others.
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
So it's been over ten years since anyone commented on this topic. L&L has come out with a lot more stuff in that time. Anyone have any new bests or worsts to add? I got thinking about it again since I just got L&L's annual Holiday $10 sale email. I have a good amount of L&L stuff but I'm wondering if there is anything I should add or avoid. Although still prior to the last comment from 2007 in this thread, my favorites are Easy to Master Card Miracles (1-6), Art of Card Manipulation Jeff McBride, and Bill Malone's On the Loose and Here I Go Again. Not sure if I have a worst, as I usually do a lot of review reading and research before buying (thank you all who sacrificed so I could avoid the trash -- not all heroes wear capes!). Oh wait! I remember not being thrilled with Jeff McBride's Magic at the Edge. Yeah, I love Jeff and I think he's a fantastic teacher, but I found that series to be a bit of a snoozer.
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
There is tons of good stuff on there, but for DVD's my tops are all four John G videos (Brainstorm are two of my all time top favorites), and the David Regal Videos. Premise, Power, and participation are very well done, and I love the first three in particular. Ironically, I believe PP&P were filmed the same weekend as Brainstorm. There is TONS of great material on those sets.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Check out my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set at harryloraynemagic.com. You guys gotta' start watching (and reading) the good stuff!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
I still watch Docc Hilford's Monster Mentalism set to this day. His presence is superb. A huge inspiration. Richard Osterlind's 13 Steps to Mentalism set is another essential mentalism purchase in my opinion. The quality of L&L Publishing production ranks up there with the best.
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
L&L Best: Loved the TA Waters set, Bill Malone On the Loose, Here We Go Again, Regal's Premise Power and Participation, any set by Richard Osterlind (too many to list)... Harry Lorayne mentioned his set...I freely admit it was very, very good.
Worst: The jury is still out.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
335 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
My favorites are Richard Osterlind’s Mind Mysteries and Simon Aronson’s wonderfu 3 disc set. Simon’s was the first magic DVDs I ever bought. What a great introduction to learn quality and unique card magic.
Not sure if I have a least favorite set. I think I’ve picked something useful up in just about all of them.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Some of the most important / best L&L release:
Michael Ammar Easy to Master series - they definitely a must for modern magician stepping stone into magic. We have to understand that Ammar film these back to early 90's his look and wear cannot compare with era these days such as Shin Lim, the magic and fundamental taught inside were golden regardless what level of magic you were in.

Vision of Wonder by the late Tommy Wonder - It think this is the Peak of L&L DVD Publishing era and everyone should own this set.

Worst release - I hate to say that but Dacri 3 vol. set definitely among those. Classic effects while method is very similar to original yet not so attractive presentation. Maybe I was wrong ...
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have to agree (As a Card Magician mainly) that Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Series" (1-6 specifically) is what it took to take me from "A guy who knew some card ticks" to a Semi-pro and eventually full time pro Table Hopper, Bar and Comedy Club magician. I'm only talking about the "card part" of my arsenal as it pertains to L&L. A great Mentor also had a lot to do with it.

The ETM series really taught more than just the effect. Even today, the material and advice hold up. These tapes/dvds were broken down into small sets like you would do in a real performance instead of a bunch of tricks tossed together. They flowed into and out of each other. Michael was a fantastic teacher. Just enough, never too much babble. The Super Practice sessions were a great idea. If you needed more, it was close up at a slow and repeated pace, if you didn't need it, ship and move on to the next effect.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

I also have to chime in and say Banachek's 4 DVD set was nothing short of amazing. Also, John Gustaferro's Brainstorm (sorry John if I misspelled your last name) was excellent as well.

But I have to say, my wife of almost 20 years who patiently watched me through the years purchase books and videos to learn this art...she has only sat through one L&L performance. She walked in my office as I was laughing so hard. She thought I was losing my mind. She pulled up a chair and watched the performance of Bill Malone on his classic On the Loose. After watching it the performance segment on DVD 1, she asked for me to pop in the next DVD to watch the performance. After watching all 4 performances,she was chanting "Bill Ma-lone). She still does that from time to time and it has been YEARS since we watched it together.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4726 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights was originally released as a video set in the 80s. L&L bought the rights and made a dvd set. It has stood the test of time, and has started many a coin magician on their journey.
Special sale! FREE magician T shirt (a $25 value, only L or XL - see link) while supplies last with each purchase of MIGRATE ($35 ppd USA) Magnetic Coins ($40 ppd USA) or Conviction Prediction ($45 ppd
https://youtube.com/shorts/GbIwPoZ8qy4?si=eqxR6X6XGynLf3ET
inquire for ordering information here or to rubinsteindvm@aol.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have to say, I have gotten SO MUCH value out of the Ammar ETM series. Still working on mastering a lot of those effects. And my Aldo DVD's I will NEVER part with for any price. Aldo was wonderful to watch and wonderful to learn from.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2019, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights was originally released as a video set in the 80s. L&L bought the rights and made a dvd set. It has stood the test of time, and has started many a coin magician on their journey.

Me included. Smile
MikeShaw247
View Profile
New user
Richmond, Virginia
16 Posts

Profile of MikeShaw247
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Check out my "Best Ever" 4-volume DVD set at harryloraynemagic.com. You guys gotta' start watching (and reading) the good stuff!!!

Your Memory Book changed my life back in the 70's. Thanks for all you've done. Attended one of your lectures in in Houston in the late 80's maybe early 90's? I always loved your card stuff, and used it a lot. Thanks!
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

I love Mr Lorayne's memory book. I have freaked people out using the technique of meeting a person ONCE and bumping into that person YEARS later still knowing his/her name. Thanks to Mr Lorayne's book, my memory (especially with names) has become a superpower. Great books from the real deal.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Mr Ponchatrane! Nice to meet you!
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 31, 2019, daffydoug wrote:
Mr Ponchatrane! Nice to meet you!

LOL. I see I am not the only one to read that book!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah! I “remember” it well!