The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Jay Sankey's Supernatural DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:
On 2006-11-07 17:17, Cameron Francis wrote:
I picked up this dvd because I am an unabashed Sankey fan. I won't do a long review but I will say that there are more than one or two good effects on here.

Wow! Finally an opinion of this DVD. THANK YOU!

I appreciate you mentioning both the items you like and those you didn't.

Would you say the items you liked all showed some orginality and weren't just variations of a the few moves that Jay likes to feature on his DVDs?

Quote:
This dvd is only for the Sankey fan, though. And it is really nice to have a dvd with no coin or card material.

Hmmmm...what does that mean? I have some Sankey DVDs and actually use some ideas from these DVDs (no effects as presented but I feel I have gotten value for my money) but I'm not sure I'd call myself a fan. Does this mean this DVD is not for me?

-Wolfgang
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
No, Wolfgang, I said that really for the people who don't like Sankey at all. You don't have to be a huge fan to like this dvd.

I would say that the moves involved in most of the tricks are simple and very much what he does in most of his dvds, false transfers, shuttles, and, yes, even one trick with a bill switch. He doesn't explain the bill switch on this dvd, though.

What I like about Jay's material is that he is constantly coming up with new applications of old ideas. And I see nothing wrong with that.

For example: Paper Trade. This is an effect that was in one of his newsletters. It's a really good transpostion effect. Basically, you tear half of a piece of paper out of a spiral notebook and have a spectator hold onto it. You tear the top half out, the half with the holes in it and you hold onto that. Make a magical gesture and the pieces switch places. Instantly resets. It's a wonderful idea and a nice change from the typical copper silver routine. Now, yes, I do think you could flesh out the routine a little more and make it more interesting by drawing pictures on the pieces of paper or something but the idea is inspired.

That's what I get from Jay's material. Frankly, I don't care that some of his routines aren't completely fleshed out because I wouldn't do them the way he does them anyway. I like to make things my own. So what I'm interested in are ideas and concepts and I usually get a lot of that from Jay's videos. I'll make up my own routines.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
93 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
Amen Cameron. I couldn't agree more.

Clamon,
I don't know what to say other than maybe it's because of our differing experience levels and interests that defines the difference in our opinion of Jay's material.
If you're a working Pro then maybe you're not really the audience that Jay is targeting. I don't know.

Some people also seem to think Paul Harris' stuff can sometimes be super creative but not practical, same with Mark Mason, that Eugene Burger's stuff is too basic and cerebral to be commercial, etc. etc. Personally, I say bring it on. If it's crappy, then so be it, but I don't mind searching for the diamond in the rough and as mentioned above, I might find some things that I can piece together or morph into my own.

As for the rings and examinability, who said you need to let them see them after you do the links? When I do it, they're in their hands for a whole different effect before I start the linking routine. They have been examined.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Well, judging from the amount of Jay inspired material I have seen pros do, I would say Jay is targeting just about everyone.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
I just don't like the fact he says its mentalism,

there's a huge difference between mentalism and mental magic.

I've never seen jay sankey do any mentalism and the demo suggests to me that this is obviously mental magic, most mentalists will know this but for you new to mentalism don't be fooled okay
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Oh, whatever.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Maybe my comment sounded negative:

I like jay sankey and I like a lot of his effects.

I was just pointing out that people who want mentalism should get something else people who want some magic with a mental approach this dvd is for you.

I'm sorry if I sounded negative I own many of jay sankey's dvd's and effects and so far he hasn't dissapointed me (much), art of sleight of hand, and no card tricks were big dissapointments, and create your own magic wasn't much either
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-08 15:20, Cameron Francis wrote:
No, Wolfgang, I said that really for the people who don't like Sankey at all. You don't have to be a huge fan to like this dvd.

Ahhhh...that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
On 2006-11-08 15:20, Cameron Francis wrote:
What I like about Jay's material is that he is constantly coming up with new applications of old ideas. And I see nothing wrong with that.

Neither do I. I think I have learned a lot from the way he applies moves we all know to create interesting effects.

Quote:
That's what I get from Jay's material. Frankly, I don't care that some of his routines aren't completely fleshed out because I wouldn't do them the way he does them anyway.

Yeah, I prefer to get just his basic handling. His patter and style are not something that I can learn from. In any book and DVD, I will find my own routines and presentation for the effects that I like.
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-09 04:53, cougar261084 wrote:
there's a huge difference between mentalism and mental magic.

I've never seen jay sankey do any mentalism and the demo suggests to me that this is obviously mental magic, most mentalists will know this but for you new to mentalism don't be fooled okay

Yes, it's mental magic not mentalism and Jay should know better but as mentalist that doesn't bother me and I actually use a few of Jays ideas in my routines.

-Wolfgang
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
Jay is being two things:

1. Short

2. Bald (which is meaning he has lots of testosterone)

I am knowing that short men like this are trying harder to impress other people to make up for being small. Add some testosterone and you get some more ambition too.

That is why I think he is releasing so many things and is trying harder than most of the other magicians.

That is also why his picture on the front of the DVD supernatural is shot from below to make him look taller than he is really.

He has told me about this too.
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Well it seems like he has reached his goal, possibly. His dvds and books cover every aspect of close-up magic:

linking rings
cards
coins
sleight of hand
self-working
make it yourself
party magic
cups and balls/chop cup
sponge balls
theory
performance
money magic
sessioning with other people
comparing old and new
more and more variations and add-ons, even to his own stuff
magic by other people
interviews with others
miscellanuous magic
mentalism/mental magic
magic with borrowed objects
gimmicks and prop magic
many many marketed effects
lectures and notes
flourishes
gambling routines
picking up girls
creating your own magic
ESP
fire magic

and has released most of that within just a few years, and cause SOOO MUCH controversy.
In addition he has given us:

a lot of filler
more magic contributions that almost anyone else in such a short period of time(at least that I can think of)
lots of bad camera work
arguements with internet magic shops
gained worldwide recognition
way to much (juvenile) and stupid jokes and comedy
pranks and jokes among the magic
bonus material- that in many cases(I feel)have little relevance to the other content
dislocated discs in cases
a series of burned dvds
proves that you can make SO much magic happen with only a few standard/essential sleights that have been around for ages for better or worse

and so much more
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Clamon, you obviously have some issues with Sankey. But what's the point of your post. Who is that post directed to, exactly? Are you trying to dissuade people from buying his products? Or are you trying to convince people who like Sankey that they shouldn't like Sankey? I doubt that post will do either.

BTW, I don't find anything wrong with the camera work in most of his videos. It's very kinetic but the instruction is always clear and I have never had any trouble learning the moves. And please don't talk about the Supernatural demo because that is just the demo. The entire dvd is not filmed in that wavy way.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I am a Sankey head and have yet to recieve a news letter. What gives. I have his whole library of DVD's save maybe 5 and lecture notes from three sessions. I have checked his site numberous times to make sure my info is correct and it is. Has anyone had the same problem?
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Yes, I did not receive his newsletter this month or last month. Has the new one gone out yet?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Did anyone get Supernatural that can review.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-25 00:19, Cameron Francis wrote:
Yes, I did not receive his newsletter this month or last month. Has the new one gone out yet?

No newsletters per se, but I got a promo email (I think it might have called itself a newsletter but I didn't save it) promoting the Supernatural DVD on November 2nd.

-Wolfgang
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2006-10-16 12:34, BenM wrote:
I wish Sankey would slow down with his releases (who doesn't?). I mean, how many other creators release twelve DVDs/effects each year? Why doesn't Jay stop releasing for the sake of releasing and slow things down a little bit?

Me. Doesn’t bother me one bit, I love Jay and his incredibly creative mind. For me it’s not just about the effects, it never has been, it’s every bit as much about all the little nuisances that goes along with his magic.

He’s brilliant.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Wow! I finally had the chance to watch some of this. I couldn't sit through the whole thing. I love a lot of Jays material. Nice guy. Bumped into him a few times on the street here in Toronto, but I have to say, this DVD was a huge waste of $$$.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I usualy get Jay's stuff, but passed on this. I just didn't feel any heat from these effects. Want to impress them with mentalism? Perform Mindcast.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 22:35, in flames wrote:
Nice guy. Bumped into him a few times on the street here in Toronto.

I wished I still live in Toronto. I missed the city, its people and uniqueness that only Toronto possesses.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler