The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Daniel Garcia's Torn Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dr. Bombay
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Dr. Bombay
I don't learn well from the printed page. I'll have to stick with DVD's. Thanks, though!!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
I just received Torn, and I must say it is the best I have seen to date. I have Ripped and Restored, but Torn has that extra touch and the handling I think is easier. The tape starts off with Daniel doing some great magic highlights, and I really hope he comes out with a video soon. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Moffmo
View Profile
Regular user
Castleford
143 Posts

Profile of Moffmo
There is a streaming video of it on the magicsmith website and showing the last piece openly. On ripped and restored it is very easy. You are palming the last card anyway so why not the last piece as well? Just hold it on the card and so the move and it goes into fingerpalm.

Matt
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
399 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
You might also want to try this link:

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=353
I posted this vid of "Torn" a while ago. For me, this piece is GOLD...

Later,
Peter
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I've got to say that the first time I saw Daniel do his routine at the Castle, I was thinking that there's no way on Earth the routine could look that incredible without using tape or glue (or run-on sentences). However, I was wrong. Set up is minimal. The spectator can use any card, and there's no fuss with glue or anything. Not too difficult either.

Of course there's the issue with going to the pocket. A lot of the time I feel that the simplicity and trick photography aspects of "Torn" compensate for the fact that you're going to the pocket. I've learned and often use both "Torn" and Hollingworth's "Reformation" because they're both great routines. "Reformation" is pretty much a perfect routine (although it's more difficult to do). Learn both and use whichever one suits your mood at the time. Good Luck!
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
PUZZLED. Just spoke to Chris at MagicSMith a few hours go and he told me that the Garcia item had been discontinued due to complaints that it was primarily a duplicate of --I forget the name--that other video of Torn and Restored by the two Frenchmen.
Where did you guys get it?
Marty K
jacksorbetter
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
121 Posts

Profile of jacksorbetter
Yeah, honestly I saw a performance clip of it online, (I think it was Garcia doing it)and my first reaction was that it is just Ripped and Restored by Y Doumergue. Perhaps I was unable to appreciate the subtle differences but they looked the same to me.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
The routines are different enough to justify separate versions. Daniel Garcia even holds up the Yves dvd and talks about it on his video. I highly recommend TORN. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
I don't know the difference, but when I see the Ripped & Restored demo I see a different effect. The card is held differently, the hands cover it much more etc.

Now this may just be that Daniel was more creative with the SAME routine and STRETCHED its ability to really get the most out of it but even if that is the case, I am glad I
own TORN.

If the moves are the same (And I can see how they might be when considering that the last piece is restored the same) then the effect is still different and in my mind THAT is what makes it its own thing.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
The difference is in how the first two pieces join together. That is what got everyone so excited who saw Daniels handling. It's simple direct and brilliant. Other than that , they are the same if I am not mistaken.
Drive Carefully
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Well, I am intrigued ---but--from whence is it available??
MartyK Smile
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Well I do Ripped and Restored and after seeing the demo of Torn it seems to me they are very similar. I would say Torn is a variation (more refined) of Ripped and Restored because the core idea and method is the same; the difference is in the subtleties of each join - as others have stated. Because of this I can see how there might be a dispute. It's a difficult line drawing problem trying to figure out when something is a new effect and when it is a variation.

Bottom line is that both of them look great.
joker808
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of joker808
It took me some digging but I hit the jackpot on this one. For those interested in buying Daniel Garcia's "Torn" here's where to get it.
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/

enjoy!
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
Yes
Torn really tears the audience up!
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
Dr. Bombay
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Dr. Bombay
My eyes are 'tearing' over this effect!!!
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
joker 808
Thanks. Just (Fri eve) ordered it.
MartyK
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for all of those who have enjoyed performing torn and for all of the kind words that you have said. da5id, I think you hit the bottom line when you said that it is tough to distinguish whether an effect is original or not. There was a dispute whether I should or should not put this effect out. After talking to many high names in magic I finally decided that I should share this effect with the community. For all of those who are not going to purchase the effect, that's ok. I understand. For those who do want it, as of right now there is only one place to purchase it
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com
"Torn" HAS NOT been discontinued. It is still a hot item and I hope that it continues to be.
Thanks again
Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-