The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Identity (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22 [Next]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I believe I remeber you posting this suggestion Review King. I did not appreciate it when I first read it but after having done the trick for awhile I agree that it could be very powerful. It is hard to give up those visual changes but doing the revelation your way would create an entirely different feeling
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
Well that took 45 minutes... 14 pages and a lot of arguing in-between. I was amazed by page 5 no-one had the trick yet!

I purchased this on Friday, and practiced most of the weekend. I really hate DL, they are hard for the beginner. Brent at Vanishing Rabbit did tell me it was intermediate, but that there was a "easy", "hard" and "very hard" way of doing it. I'm still not quite sure which ones are which!

All the changes in extended are doable at my level, its just getting the double perfect.

One thing that I am struggling with, and not sure if anyone has any tips is when I move the marks off the card; I think I'm holding to hard or something but it either looks like: A) the top card turns 45 degrees and is now obvious; B) the card is 45 degrees in the left hand, again now obvious.

Anyone got some tips they can post or PM me with for this part?

Also, I think I might do "whats your favourite color" at the beginning for people I know well, if they say red then I can joke with "And look, a red deck. Well that's me done, how am I going to top that", if not, I have something to appear on the cards... What do you think?

This was a challenge for me as a hobbyist, but I have it at about 90% now, and I'm proud of myself!
IllusionistErich
View Profile
New user
Clarion PA
12 Posts

Profile of IllusionistErich
I too am a hobbyist, Ryanalewis, I can relate.
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
Quote:
One thing that I am struggling with, and not sure if anyone has any tips is when I move the marks off the card; I think I'm holding to hard or something but it either looks like: A) the top card turns 45 degrees and is now obvious; B) the card is 45 degrees in the left hand, again now obvious.

To answer my own question for someone who may stumble upon this thread, I was not tilting my wrist that was holding the pack. In doing this, it overpowers the thumb holding the double.

Now it looks quite good!

I found the colour(?) change, and the twirl variations after reading Richards post. Good job I took the time going through this thread! I really like the other change, and have been practicing.

Perhaps the best part about this trick is all the extra sleights I have learned and committed to memory that can come in handy within any trick.
bigdhri
View Profile
New user
RI
63 Posts

Profile of bigdhri
I thought the DVD was well done, but I thought the trailer was mis leading a little. All and all I think the trick could be powerful under certain situations. Plus I think the idea could be modified to suit the performer better. Just what I think.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'll tell you this, no matter what you may think about this effect from Richard, until you perform it, you just can't see the power it has.

When the card changes to their name, people are shocked. And they will keep the card forever.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2010-02-08 00:45, Review King wrote:
I'll tell you this, no matter what you may think about this effect from Richard, until you perform it, you just can't see the power it has.

When the card changes to their name, people are shocked. And they will keep the card forever.

Chris

Chris is right. When I got this, I watched it an originally it set on the shelf for months. I finally decided to try it out one night and have to say I was impressed with how well it played. It's not something I do all night (I'd run out of cards) but it is a great trick.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
This is one of the most well received tricks that I do. I have tried to dissect the reasons. My performing situations are closest to strolling. It is a several phase trick (2 to 3) depending on whether you like the initial "jumping mark phase." This is quite key as people are often not fully engaged as you start a trick and if it's over right away they may not fully appreciate it. The best reason to do the first phase is to condition them over and over to seeing the “random” marks, making the final phase all the more amazing. Additionally, the spectator does not really have to pay attention between phases to appreciate the trick. I find this is an unbelievably big deal for my performance circumstances. Many lengthy tricks require rapt attention on the part of the audience for them to realize how "amazing" they are, if they look away or take a sip of their drink you are lost. With Identity, it is all chit chat and "off-beat" between the phases. I have gotten great responses.
ryanalewis
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of ryanalewis
When I go into people's offices that I haven't spoken to for a while, I see the card pinned to the cork board, or under their computer screens. It's living proof the trick sticks in your mind!

Some hold the card up as I walk by and ask when the next trick is coming.

It was/is excellent, and well worth committing to muscle memory.
acer
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of acer
I prefer Tagged !
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
There's a ssnkey effect on the similar lines to this
on oldler DVD of his, 4-5 years old?
Can't remember the name?
It involved a joker and 'red card' written in the back
under the guise of revealing it was a red card, they turn over their card to reveal their name on the back!!
Any ideas of the bane of the gem ( my preferance )
cheers
matt
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The Sankey effect is a mentalism effect from 22 Blows to the Head. Kind of apples and oranges, though, as it's a prediction effect, not a magical effect.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
That's not the one I was thinking of cam,
I'll have to consult my DVD drawer!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I'm chimming in again. I don't work for or know Richard in fact it took me forever to get my EB 2 disc and ****ed me off a little but this is the single best card trick that I do (mabye that says something about me). Parents like it, kids like it, everybody walks around shaking that card waiting for it to change again. Do not underestimate.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Apologies, Matt. Sounded like that one. Curious to see which one you're referring to as it sounds good. Smile
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I really like the effect. Just a little practice to get it down smooth. The sleights are basic and Richard goes over them in detail to help those who haven't done them in the past. He shows them from several angles also to make everything clear. He also shows a long version and a short version which is nice depending on the venue you are doing the effect.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Identity sounds like a winner.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1527 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Cam , Ive found it!
99% certain it's called WHAT?S IN A NAME?
from Jay Sankey Live (DVD)http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=15
very nice too!
now, please join my FB group:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/grou......51907251
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Hi,
I performed Richard´s effect last night on a barbeque party for a group of laymen.
I never met anyone of these guys/girls before so I introduced myself with handshaking etc.
In this setting I had no table to place the card with the magic marks on it away,so I placed it in my top pocket of my jacket...it was in plain view so nobody thought I would do funny stuff with it.
Anyways I performed the version where you peal off the marks and this got great reactions...and was setting them up for the kicker.
Guys I tell you,once they saw the name appear....everybody went nuts!
The guy who I performed it for was sooooo baffled by it,that he asked me to do a show on his next party!
I can´t wait to perform it the next time.It´s such a strong trick.
Thanks to Richard for releasing it.
The reactions.....you have to perform it.Enough said!

PS: I palmed out the gimmick on the offbeat...just in case that someone wants to see the cards...but nobody wanted to check the deck...i guess that's what called running but not being chased. Smile

Greetings from germany
Jerry
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
You can never go wrong with a Richard Sanders effect!

Regards,
Mike