The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Million Dollar Card Magic Simon Lovell DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
smum
View Profile
New user
bonnie Scotland
42 Posts

Profile of smum
"Since Frank did not have permission to publish these effects, their inclusion in his books cannot confer permission on anyone to include them on a DVD."

And even if he DID have permission in the first place there would STILL be no justification for putting the material out on a DVD. It's simply another case of people trying to make money on the back of already established material...
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
I agree with what you're saying, Smum, old bean.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
[quote]On 2004-10-15 07:05, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
There is no “Frank’s material”[/i] in the two Garcia books. Virtually everything in the books was stolen. Frank used it without permission and, initially, without credit.

Darwin, thank you for that history lesson.

And everyone was worried that poor Frank was being stolen from after he departed. This is too funny for words!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
350 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
So has anyone ACTUALLY seen this dvd ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
AAAAA
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AAAAA
It is a great DVD, I was watching it last night. It teaches not only the how a trick is done but the why behind it, The handling, best angles as well as the psychology behind why you do the effect the way you do. I would HIGHLY recomend it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just received this from my good pal Anthony and it rocks. As everyone knows, I panned Simon's HORRIBLE party and office animal videos. Of course I was attacked because many people like Simon.

Well, this ned DVD is INCREDIBLE. This guy is a genius with cards. His Ambitious Card is worth the price of the DVD.

Order from your favoirte dealer ( Penguin has it-they are a Café sponsor ) Or, you can write Anthony at atkatwhite@yahoo.com and ask him about it and other Simon DVD's.

calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I have the DVD, I have watched it, and I like it.

The content can be found on the website of Alakazam on http://www.alakazam.co.uk (a UK magic dealer):

The DVD Has 4 Seperate Sections Loaded With Tricks and Material:

Million Dollar Card Magic Section:

Chicago Opener/Red Hot Mama (Frank Everhardt) - The Original Classic! A spectator’s turns Red Hot!

Double Lift - The most important sleight in all card magic! Learn from Simon and it's EASY!

Double Cut (Dai Vernon & Laurie Ireland) - A very simple and effective contol of a chosen card!

3 In A Million (Frank Garcia) - Do-As-I-Do with a kicker ending! Simon takes a useful principle to a whole new level!

Switch Craft (Frank Garcia) - Two cards, isolated from the deck, change placed under test conditions!

Easy Aces (Al Leech) - 4 Aces lost in the deck, are spelled-to, cut-to, and counted-to!

Hide and Seek Kings (Frank Garcia) - Four Kings vanish one at a time then reappear in the deck catching their mates the Queens!

One Head (Al Cohn) - A little piece of fun and whimsy to put between your heavier card miracles!

Dual Discovery (Frank Garcia) - The magician’s in trouble - magic to the rescue!

Uncanny Revelation - Heavy-hitting magic with very little work!

PeekaBoo Revelation (Bill Simon) - The Aces dive into the deck to find a spectator’s peeked-at card!

Mental Cards -The magician finds a thought-of in a thoroughly shuffled deck!

Key Card Control Technique - The real way to use this often over-looked card weapon!

Card Stunners Section:

What Aces? (Frank Garcia) - The 4 Aces dealt onto the table, change into the 4 Kings and the Aces are found reversed in the deck!

Perplexing (Ed Marlo) - 4 randomly chosen cards turn out to be the 4 Kings, then they change into the 4 Aces!

Cutting The Kings - A Spectator cuts to the 4 Kings, which then change into the 4 Aces!

Simon’s Delight (Dunbury Delight – Vernon/Garcia/Lovell) - A delight-fully easy transposition that’ll you’ll use all the time!

Control Knockout (Bill Simon & Fank Garcia) - A great control! Kinda cool, kinda frisky, kinda wild! - Simon Lovell

Card Stab (Frank Garcia) - A spectator blindly stabs righ to their selected card!

Gambling Treasures Section:

Poker Poker (Frank Garcia) - Always Cut The Cards, but in reverse!

Swift Poker (Allen Swift) - Two poker hands are made from randomly chosen cards, yet the magician wins every time!

Perfect Poker (John Scarne) - Based on Scarne’s Drunk Poker. Two poker hands are dealt from a face-up-face-down deck, yet the magiccian always wins!

Diamond Cut Diamond (Alex Elmsley) - A spectator’s card appears at a position if his choosing!

Winnepeg False Cut (Mel Stover) - A totally nature, totally false cut!

Ace Culling (Garcia/Lovell) - Expert card shark technique! With No Skill Involved!

Adding A Card (Dr. Jacob Daley) - A bold, yet effective way to add an extra card to your hand!

Simey Bonus (Simon Lovell) - A bonus card culling technique!

Secret Reversal (Dai Vernon) - Selected card is found reversed in the deck!

Cough Cover (Frank Garcia) - One of Frank’s favorite ways of concealing a palmed card!

Ambitious Card Section

Part I of the Ambitious Card Routine!

Part II of the Ambitious Card Routine!

Part III of the Ambitious Card Routine!

Part IV of the Ambitious Card Routine!

Part V of the Ambitious Card Routine! (Great Part for when you do Magic on Live Television!)

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This DVD rocks!!!!!!! Simon tips the real secret to gerat card magic!!!

mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
MagicChris, what is your problem? I wonder how many posts would be left if your 3584 was excised of inane and meaningless posts.

maurice
nostrings
View Profile
Loyal user
Newport News, VA
294 Posts

Profile of nostrings
Food for thought. How far back do we really need to credit, Darwin brought up a great point in his post. Who's to say where the absolute orginal idea for whatever effect came from and how many generations of an effect do you need credit? "theres nothing new under the sun". I wonder apart from magic how much we really care about ethics of people getting credit, if you buy a CD do you make sure that the song writer was given proper royalties or credit or whatever..? Also no one but Darwin brought up the crediting on the Garcia book. How much research have you done into your other DVD's or books, maybe to be purely ethical we should only preform effects from tarbell or all revert back to just using only effects that appear in erdenase for card tricks and try something call being creative and original?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-03-04 17:48, mcmc wrote:
MagicChris, what is your problem? I wonder how many posts would be left if your 3584 was excised of inane and meaningless posts.

maurice

maurice,
this is a natural reaction to the innovative ideas Simon puts forth on this DVD. You must unlearn what you have learned. That is where growth will come in your magic. PM me if you'd like to chat about card magic in general.

Chris

Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I didn't like this DVD at first, but I wound up liking it a lot. (It was a bonus with an purchase) I'm not really into the gambling effects. I'm sure they would be exciting to someone who is into gambling though.

Simon does give credit where credit is due. Especially to Frank Garcia.

My favorite effects on this DVD are Simon's Delight, Cutting the Kings, 3 in a Million, and the mentalism card effect. In fact, Simon's Delight is one of my all-time favorites.

I've altered my handling of Simon's Delight. I've added the extra effect of making it an ace production.

So a trick that I previously overlooked is now a triple whammy effect:

1) I find the spec's card
2) It is a transposition effect
3) I reveal the aces at the same time I reveal the spec's card.
alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Christopher Cavanaugh wrote, years ago on this thread: "If Simon did the project, then it's legit!!!!!" If I had a nickel for every time Chris used what the textbooks call an "argument from authority", I'd be a rich man. (The argument fromn authority appears in the "Logical Fallacies" section of every logic textbook.)

Simon has been the subject of many rip-off threads here. His Transpo Kings is a direct copy of Twisted Sisters. He's a terrific magician, but the ethics issue is another question.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-09-10 16:28, alannasser wrote:
Christopher Cavanaugh wrote, years ago on this thread: "If Simon did the project, then it's legit!!!!!" If I had a nickel for every time Chris used what the textbooks call an "argument from authority", I'd be a rich man. (The argument fromn authority appears in the "Logical Fallacies" section of every logic textbook.)

Simon has been the subject of many rip-off threads here. His Transpo Kings is a direct copy of Twisted Sisters. He's a terrific magician, but the ethics issue is another question.

It's Kavanagh with a "K" not a "C". As they say, I don't care what they say about me, as long as they spell my name right!

"The argument fromn authority appears in the "Logical Fallacies" section of every logic textbook".

WOW-you improved the face of magic with this statement. My first magic book was a logic textbook. Someone tried to get me to get a book by someone named Vernon, but I passed knowing that "Logical Fallacies" was the key to great magic presentation!
:rotf:

If you research "Twisted Sisters" you'll find it is not original to Bannon.

"alannasser:, without a pic and your real name, anything you post doesn't carry much weight. Annonymous posting speaks for itself.