The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Al Schnider Dvd's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I just finished watching vol 2. I love the spectator on his right.
Bernard Sim
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Criss Cards and Al's fabulous Cups and Balls routine are my favourites on this series. I too didn't care too mych for vol 4 but his work on the Zombi is very good. Not surprising it inspired Tommy Wonder.

Iain.
KYTerry
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of KYTerry
Bought and viewed Vol 1 & 2 of the DVD's yesterday. Very good and complete thinking on Vol 1. Great magic on vol 2.

The blonde to Al's right and the babe in the pink top were filling out their tops extremely well. Good misdirection!
mcmc
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mcmc
I don't know much about Al besides the fact that he created the 'matrix', but at first when I started watching him on vol.1, I thought "wow, he's got quite a monotonic voice, he's not exciting or intriguing to watch, I got stuck with a bum deal". compared to McBride, whose dvd's I love watching, it was quite...different.

but after I stopped watching, I realized that he had a lot of good things to say about the *art* of magic, and I found myself thinking about his deconstruction of 'when the magic happens' quite frequently.

final verdict: a good value for the money, and has good, solid material on basic coin work, as well as fundamental thought processes and motivations of magic, which is the meta-magic analysis that I'm starting to get interested in. it seems like this kind of analysis is inevitable and quite needed once you get to a certain level.

mc
taneous
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of taneous
I really, really am enjoying these dvd's. I like Al's performance style. It's relaxed and respectful of the audience.

The first dvd is packed with information on theory of magic. At first viewing I also thought it a little dry - but I warmed to it really quickly. I'd suggest that anyone who buys the set watch the performance part of the 2nd dvd first. It gives you a feel for what he speaks about in the first dvd. Then dive into the first one.
The 3rd dvd had some nice effects, but by then I was starting to get a bit annoyed with the L&L audience - I really wish they'd get some new people.

The 4th has some good stuff that I will use. I enjoyed his rope routine, the golf balls and Zombie the most.

I really feel like I got my money's worth - and some. I'll be working through this stuff for a while..
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
I just can't for it to arrive.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I have this set and while I've only viewed the entire set once, I have watched volume 1 (on theory and magic) 2 1/2 times. Volume 1 is just a fabulous volume. There is so much in here about what makes magic work and why. I learn something new everytime I watch that DVD.

I believe that I like the volumes in the following order: 1, 2, 3 and then 4. Good stuff on all of the DVDs but I particularly liked the 1st volume on magic theory best of all. Volume 2 contains his performance of "OFF" (his finger ring and rope routine). I have loved this routine ever since I stumbled across his "OFF!" manuscript in a used book store.

Be warned that, IMHO, the DVDs did not have many formalized routines as such but were essentially a series of magic "quickies" performed by Al in a "sit down" mode. Essentially, what Al did was to perform one effect (trick), reach into his magic bag, put that effect away and bring out another effect. However, many of these effects can either be combined together and/or made into longer effects by creative presentation (and original "patter") on your part.

Al was relaxed, enjoyed himself and quickly got the audience on his side as he shared his magic and personality with them. Al's performance reminded me of the type of magic you might wish to do around the dinner table after dinner and after being requested by the dinner guests to "please do a little magic".

These DVDs are short on "patter". Buy these DVDs to learn naturalness, motivated movement, misdirection and flawless technique--and then create your own presentations and integrate Al's theories and moves into them.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
zatara
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of zatara
Great material, wealth of imformation of the theory of magic and misdirection.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've had my set since 2004.

Some on this thread didn't care for Vol. 4. I thought it was as strong as the other volumes. I "think" most hobby magicians are coin/card/close-up enthusiasts and Vol. 4 is stand up, with less material than the other volumes. I use Al's Zombie and two rope routines from that volume. He also did his linking rings, which I don't do, but his thinking on it is incredible.

Al is actually very funny on them and the audience really liked him and were amazed by the magic.. More so than many other performers I've seen on video.

BIG thumbs up on this set!