The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Most boring videos!! :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
Scott,
I agree 100% - those are the people I've always looked up to and I enjoyed all thier videos. I've seen and met most of them in my youth and they were (and will always be GREAT).
That's why I mentioned Darwin...
I think his material is Strong and STRONG MAGIC is one of my favorite Reads(I could even see all the applications in his video.)

...And still it took three good naps to see his whole tape! I'm not dissing him, just saying to me the tape was boring. Sorry but that's the way it was.

Dennis
Smile
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Tabary get the prize from me! I just wanted to keep fast forwarding the video, not there is plenty of good information in this video, but getting it out was like picking corn by hand at night with no lights... Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
my vote goes to FLIP's ROPE VIDEO,,,,,,its loaded with very good rope moves, effects and routines but i found his persona dull and voice very monotone,,,,,it might be because english is not his first language.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Scott-

That's why I didn't mention my Zarrow video, though
its out of respect that I TOTALLY ignore the reality
that the video is STILL boring. Doesn't matter if they
USED to be interesting. Though I will say, having worked Geriatrics before, you gain a respect for the
elderly and all the quirks of the old can be seen
in much greater reverence. We all get there someday,
we can only hope someone like me isn't feeding us
when we are Zarrows age at the time of filming the
Zarrow Shuffle vid.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
The Zarrow Shuffle video, Paul Harris' videos, and Jerry Andrus' series... Total boredom accompanied with a few good effects.
J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
You guys have all missed the boat.

There is a video...the material has recently been redone. I have not seen the new rendition but let me assure you the first tape...was...well...indescribeable.

Andrew Galloway discusses Ramsey.

I am not sure if it was Mr. Galloway's voice or what but without a doubt it was the worst tape... in my opinion. IF anyone ever saw this and gleened some pearl of wisdom from it please enlighten me.

As for DVD 3D cash had some of the worst explanations I have ever tried to wade through. I did come away with a good move.
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-08-27 08:52, aby9plp wrote:
Hey MariusHaugan, I agree with you! I also cant believe some people find Ammar and especially Daryl boring! Smile Smile
Daryl, for me, is soo entertaining. Hes one of my all time favorites. His subtle humour is really funny!
Ammar has another style, but I find him funny too. Not that his jokes make me fall off my chair , but he is far from being boring.

Well said. Daryl is a FUNNY and gifted teacher. Anyone who has spent time with him one on one knows what I mean. I would have to say Learn to Levitate was major ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's for me.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
I agree Daryl is funny, I went back to the later volumes of his sleights to try to get some more ideas and he makes you laugh all the time. And Like WR said he is a very good teacher, I would go with his videos over most other magicians any day.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Daryl is a cool, fuuny guy. Paul Harris may be creative but WHAT A BORE!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
Am I missing something here?

I'm hearing names such as Jerry Andrus and John Ramsey.. Jerry Andrus was/is probably one of the most creative and innovative magicians the world has ever seen. If "zone zero" didn't fool the hell out of you I'd like to know what planet your from..

Also John Ramsey's routines have got to be some of the most cleverly constructed effects you are ever likely to come across..

Boring?... I think not.. Just because they don't present things like they've just been injected with a combination of lsd and helium does not make them boring..

--Euan
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
I have to disagree about finding Ammar boring. His "Magic, Mastery, and You" video is great, not boring at all. The bit with the funken ring and the topit is great.....funny as heck.
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
I still do not have a clue in a lot of phases of Jerry Andrus Linking Pins...I think you do not judge fair...At least respect the age of a living legend...
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
I was nearly put to sleep by the "Egg Bag Teach In Video." At one point, two of the magicians (I think Charlie Miller & Johnny Thompson) teach routines that are 95% the SAME! Martin Lewis is compelling, and Tom Mullica is OK, but the rest of the video is insomnia-inducing.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I agree with Scott on some of these names, it is sad they were not recorded earlier.

I remember seeing Johnny Paul and Goshman when they were fantastic, but towards the end when they were WELL past retirement age they were at conventions and youngsters were coming out commenting, "What was so good about them?", a bit sad really.

Very easy to be dismissive, and I certainly don't see why a teach in tape has to be funny. Are many magic books funny? The important bit is whether you can learn from it or not.

Paul.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I thought the Zarrow Shuffle video was sweet! It was an awful teaching video. The first video where I had to keep a pad and pen handy to write down all of the crucial information that was spread throughout the video (and only came up when they happened to occur to him). But it's almost like your grandfather teaching you the French Drop. And you get the moral satisfaction of knowing you were being taught by the guy who invented an incredibly useful move in card magic.

I raised my eyebrows a number of times in the video, but I was never bored.

Billgussen
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Scott and Paul,

I think you are missing the point a little, this thread is not about bad videos or bad material -- it is about BORING videos. It is also not about at what point in their careers the videos were shot, it's only about how BORING the videos are.

I would venture to say that the material on most of the videos mentioned here is of High Caliber -- the material on Ray Grismer's video (my earlier post) is Excellent and I learned from it, but I also learned from my Algebra class (well, maybe not) but it was also EXTREMELY BORING! We all know how video can make even the most Dynamic Performer, even a guy like Roger Klause Smile come off a little BORING -- but great material.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Daryl's Revelations series is way boring not his other work. I challenge anyone to sit through 25 to 30 "pick a card" tricks. Even the L&L audience seems bored.

My gosh, how many times can you ask someone to pick a card, or take a card or to choose a card. So B-o-r-i-n-g I was snoring.
Drive Carefully
pyromagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
312 Posts

Profile of pyromagician
honestly easy to master card miracles by Ammar
i think this is because i already knew the information on the tapes
and that annoying laugh!! grrrrrr
Gary
P.S. this is what part of the alphabet would look like if "Q" and "R" were eleminated
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Any video seems boring when you know the material on it.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Quote:
On 2003-08-30 12:15, zombieboy wrote:
Any video seems boring when you know the material on it.

Not true. Again, Ammar's "Magic, Mastery, and You" is great and I know a good chunk of the material on there. I would have to say the same thing about Doc Eason's Bar Magic videos.