The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Trespass DVD by Dan Army :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
It's bad news when something is obvious on a webcam. And in real life, when you would be unlikely to have that dead-on straight angle, it would be that much more obvious.

When I look at that set-up I think of Penn and Teller talking about the dovepan. Gee, where could you possibly hide a folded card in that glass? Hmmmm...
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
320 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
That was really an awful performance. Plus the people watching it are asking for trades for that trick. Oh well, there is always someone. At least he is a Manchester United fan. Takes a good resemblance of AC Milan's Kaka
dragonchaos91
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of dragonchaos91
Its really sad what magic today is coming to. Effects, methods, being traded like baseball cards. People never seem anymore to be satisfied with just living in the moment without being concerned about method. If this is what the future holds for magic, I advise others to hold onto their secrets with jealousy, lest it become plastered over the internet. Also, does anyone have a real review??
-Brett
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 01:50, dragonchaos91 wrote:
Its really sad what magic today is coming to. Effects, methods, being traded like baseball cards. People never seem anymore to be satisfied with just living in the moment without being concerned about method. If this is what the future holds for magic, I advise others to hold onto their secrets with jealousy, lest it become plastered over the internet. Also, does anyone have a real review??
-Brett

Well said. One of the best post's ever.
Nitro
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Nitro
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 20:22, DougNicols wrote:
I think this sums up the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlVjv8FRMkk

By the way, that's not Trespass, I remember seeing the original video a few months ago, that's not Dan Army's trespass.
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
320 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
Did anybody actually buy it to give a review? Nobody taking chances?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone with some exeperience and common sense will keep far away from Dan Army material. These releases are targeted to newbies. Hopefully they can be guided elsewhere for material.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I'm not one for the age argument, hell I'm young at 24. However I have taken my time and learned my art, Loved it and made sure I respected it. Sadly a lot of the up and coming kids do not understand this and think its OK to release under evolved/researched products before they are ready. I think this is Scotts main point and a valid one at that
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't age is an issue. It could be a six year old prodigy, If he could work cards like Marlo and Coins like Mickey Silver, Magic would flock to conventions to see him.

This is about credibility. Dan Army has a clouded past. It's a crebility issue.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4465 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
If any of you watch the new Josh Jay DVDs, don't just watch the tricks like I know quite a few people will do, including the kids, and some adults. There are valuable lessons to be learned from the interviews. If anyone has the set and hasn't already, watch the interview with Josh and John Lovick. They talk about kids being too eager to release effects etc, and not getting credability, and they think as soon as they have an idea, quickly make a DVD or manuscript and sell it...not the way to get noticed. Send the effect to a Magic magazine. If it is good enough, I.e from a professional like Josh Jays point of view, then it will be published and you get good credability. Just because you have contributed free to a magazine, doesn't mean it can't go in a bigger manuscript at some stage. Joel Givens has about 4 or 5 routines on the DVD set, and they are also in his book. So yes you can learn them for free, and STILL put them elsewhere. Wait for a while, don't rush so much to get items out. My items are now coming out after years and years of performing them. Now I have perfected them to how much I am happy with them and they are streamlined. I even sent them out to professionals all over the world for free, to get feedback and ideas. They have helped me improve them further and I have made them better for everyone in the release. It isn't a case of one week before a release I get ideas back and add them, it is case of months, sometimes years later after the feedback and performing it with additional help that I feel it is able to be released. There are still items I won't release either because I don't want to, or they are not tested enough. For example, my progressive assembly. A thing of beauty I am told, and as caught the eye for the last year now since its creation 18 months or so ago, yet I won't release it for quite some time. I have sent out a couple copies to professionals to look at and get another perspective, as usually you only have your own which is quite a closed perspective. There are people out there who release things they say they have done for years...or in reality, about a week and have sloppily released. Shame...
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
I've watched this over at a buddy's place and I pity my buddy and those who bought Trespass. I felt its more like a stand up comedy rather than a magic video.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Was it good stand up?
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
It's one of the worst piece of magic video I ever seen. Cheap production + Dan's trying-to-be-fancy character just make me laugh and wonder why would anyone wants to produce a video for this kid.

I have not seen it but I'm assuming his Black book is just copies of papers stapled together.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Actually staples would have helped. The glue in the binding was so bad the first 38 pages of my copy fell out.