The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: What's Up with that 'same' Audience of the L&L Publishing Magic DVDs? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
eheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of eheng
<grin>

Another L&L best seller.
Mark R. Williams
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Mark R. Williams
I simply ADORE all those L&L Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M
"One more step on the pathway of Knowledge, that is if we don't break our leg crossing the street"
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 07:51, lumberjohn wrote:
My favorite moment had to be on one of Jay Sankey's "Very Best" DVDs during his "Stirring Silver" routine when Jay did a gag move that not even a seven year old would have found magical and John gave his normal response of "No Way!" or something like that. Jay stopped, looked directly at him and said "Are you retarded?" John looked a little hurt for a second, but was back in true form within no time. Though it perhaps wasn't the most appropriate comment, I did have to give Jay credit for throwing a flag on some excessive celebration.

I would have thought Sankey had better audience management skills than that. He doesn't seem that rude and monsterous in his more current videos with audiences -- perhaps he's matured since then?

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet (Who has NO patience with entertainers who take out their frustrations on their audiences.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I personally do not care about the women on the tapes. I buy a DVD for the magic, not the woman - there are better offers out there . . .

Frankly, it is difficult for me to understand this hype around the audience on the tape.
Cards never lie
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-05-22 17:30, inidyls wrote:
Is it true that the L&L girls are putting out a calender?

Actually I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I heard L&L are seriously thinking about this.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5942 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The person you heard it from was not being truthful with you.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
My favorite moment had to be on one of Jay Sankey's "Very Best" DVDs during his "Stirring Silver" routine when Jay did a gag move that not even a seven year old would have found magical and John gave his normal response of "No Way!" or something like that. Jay stopped, looked directly at him and said "Are you retarded?" John looked a little hurt for a second, but was back in true form within no time. Though it perhaps wasn't the most appropriate comment, I did have to give Jay credit for throwing a flag on some excessive celebration.

I just watched this again and was laughing so hard.
Kip Stevens
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kip Stevens
Holy Monteroli!!!!

Dude, I thought laughing at those who are mentally deficient went out with the dinosaurs!!!

I certainly DID NOT think there'd be any of those types of people on these boards!!!

I've lost a litle faith here.

The last time I saw evidence of this behaviour was when I was knee height to a grasshopper in the playground!!!

There's some SERIOUS reconsideration needed here folks!?!

Thinking caps on guys, let's NOT poke fun at retards, spastics, raspberry ripples or whatever you might refer to them as. They are HUMAN BEINGS, and unlucky ones at that.

I've said my piece.

Kip
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 16:37, Kip Stevens wrote:
Holy Monteroli!!!!

Dude, I thought laughing at those who are mentally deficient went out with the dinosaurs!!!

I certainly DID NOT think there'd be any of those types of people on these boards!!!

The last time I saw evidence of this behaviour was when I was knee height to a grasshopper in the playground!!!

Thinking caps on guys, let's NOT poke fun at retards, spastics, raspberry ripples or whatever you might refer to them as. They are HUMAN BEINGS, and unlucky ones at that.

I've said my piece.

Kip

I was laughing at Jay Sankey and to my knowledge the guy isn't mentally handicapped.
Trick Style
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Trick Style
I'm sure Jay regrets it. He looked a bit embarrased immediately after he'd said it on the video. I'm surprised it wasn't cut or re-shot.
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 16:44, Trick Style wrote:
I'm sure Jay regrets it. He looked a bit embarrased immediately after he'd said it on the video. I'm surprised it wasn't cut or re-shot.

Actually , he's not sorry we were talking about this a while back. His words about this was pretty funny too , but I'm not the one to gossip . I'll let jay do that.
Ryan Matney
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Ryan Matney
I miss David in the audience, what happened to him?
www.pocket-tricks.com
The Close-Up Magic Shop
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
On 2007-05-25 16:37, Kip Stevens wrote:

I've said my piece.

Kip

Dude, nobody is poking fun of the mentally deficient. John is regularly over the top and Jay was simply calling him on it. For many of us that have sat through countless exclamations of unwarranted amazement from John, it was a cathartic moment.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Max Maven on the NOTHING set of DVDs explains that he insisted on a new audience for that particular shoot.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17429 Posts

Profile of joseph
Bring back Jon & David!... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Quote:
On 2007-05-26 06:28, RC4MAG wrote:
Max Maven on the NOTHING set of DVDs explains that he insisted on a new audience for that particular shoot.

Who cares, you put yourself in the lime light be prepared to get critisized. We should all know that by now.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2032 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:

I'll have to pick up the DVD just for that. I'm generally not amused when people use the word "retarded." But considering who it was directed to, that sounds like the funniest thing Jay Sankey has ever said.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
On 2007-05-27 14:04, Platt wrote:
I'll have to pick up the DVD just for that. I'm generally not amused when people use the word "retarded." But considering who it was directed to, that sounds like the funniest thing Jay Sankey has ever said.

This clip can also be found on L&L's "World's Greatest Finger Ring Magic" DVD. Good bang for your buck there.
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1481 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2007-05-21 19:47, Tim Trono wrote:
It is VERY VERY difficult to capture real reactions. Often when you turn on the camera people clam up. I've done productions where people are very vibrant in person and love watching magic but the second you turn on the lights and cameras they become like zombies- very uncomfortable, quiet, tense, no reactions, etc.
Tim

Tim,

You bring up a great point. The first shooting of my first DVD was completely scrapped because the audience, although the were friends of mine who love my magic, froze up when the lights and camera came on. Their reactions were too contrived because they were trying to "help" by "reacting." Had they just reacted the way the normally do when I show them magic, it would have been awesome.

They were just too nervous and self-conscious. Anyway, we ended up scrapping the first shoot, and redoing it without an audience. I've received some feedback about the DVD that we should have used an audience. It's a tough position. You have to sacrifice either way.

Louis is in a wonderful position like you said. He's got something that works. Frankly, I'm jealous. I wish I could get non-nervous reactions like he does on the L&L vids. So as it stands now, my current DVD and the one we'll be shooting in the fall are both to be audience-less. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:

I watched this twice today and this is what happened:

Jay is starting his "stirring silver" routine with a spoon. He does a bad ( it's supposed to be ) effect with the spoon and the audience laughs ( because they don't know what else to do ). John, who is right up front, jokingly claps for the effect. John is making light of Jay's "joke" effect.

Jay, being a stand up comic, seizes the moment and asks John "are you retarded"? Everyone laughs ( including a guy behind John, with a light beard, that actually looks retarded ).

Jay appologizes about using the word retarded and askes John "are you an idiot"? Everyone laughs ( including a guy behind John, with a light beard, that actually looks like an idiot).

Jay then says he was kidding and tells that John has been the nicest person there and asks them to give him a round of applause.

It was a fun moment and because the world is so P.C. these days, everyone walks on egg shells. Everyone is so over sensitive.

My Dad is dying of lung cancer. He's my hero and I'm so sad over it. But....The other day a comic told a cancer joke. I laughed so hard. It was funny. I didn't sulk and moan "he wouldn't kae those jokes if his Dad had cancer".

The world needs to lighten up.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier