The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Stars of Magic 9 DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Sounds promising!
Hmm.. I need to save up a bit...
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I think the $175 that I spent was well worth it for all the DVD's. I understand the value side of it for the Roth and Harris DVD's, but even for one to one transfer these are a steal!!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
AARRGGHH!!!! You guys are Killing me.

PAUL Harris (VOL 1)

Super Swindle
Bizarre Vanish
Sidewinder
Ultimate Ripoff
Mickey Mouse Math
Wack Your Pack
Las Vegas Leaper
Solid Deception
Elevator Card Trick
Bizarre Twist
Overkill
PAUL Harris
CLOSE UP CLASSICS (VOL 2)

Bush Whacker
Seductive Switch
Strange Exchange
Hi-Ho Silver!
Ballerina Cards (Las Vegas Split)
Interlaced Vanish
Reset
Limo Service
Screenplay
PAUL Harris
ADVENTURES IN CLOSE-UP (VOL 3)

Flash Fold
Vanishing Deck
Open Revelation
Mondo Nifty Invisible Palm Aces
Sticky Fingers
Vacuum Cleaner Cards
Immaculate Connection
MONSTER COIN ROUTINE featuring:
Silver Slide
Giant Killer Coin
Free Flight
Michael’s Proposition
PDQ Coins Across
Twilight
Color Stunner
Blue Tatoo
The Uncut Version
TV Magic Card
Running Time Approximately 208min
Additional Image(s)

Stars Of Magic #2 (Paul Harris)

Paul Harris is regarded as one of the most creative forces in the history of magic. Innovative methods, entertaining plots and great audience appeal are hallmarks of Paul’s effects.

PAUL Harris
IMMACULATE CLOSE-UP! (VOL 4)

Bleached Blackjack
The J.A.P.H. Maneuver
Mondo Nifty False Count
Cellophane Surprise
Immaculate Breakthrough
Flap Jacks
Stapled
Uncanny
Tap Dancing Aces Finale
GalaxyThe Unshuffle (Perfectionist)
Immaculate Video Scam
The Ultra P.H. Immaculate Psychological PSwitch
PAUL Harris
CLOSE UP ASTONISHMENT (VOL 5)

Bizarre Shrink
Cue Cards
Screwed Deck
Fantasy Aces
Card Cuffs (from “Brainstorm in the Bahamas”)
RubberBandScam
Sugar Socker
Gambler Vs Mentalist Vs Magician
Double Decker
Cardboard Connection
Balducci Levitation
Running Time Approximately 177min

That in itself is worth the set. But then that brings up the question of Pauls AOA DVD's that are still set to release.
I would also love to see Declamps Card To Wallet. I love the T.V. Scam.. Whats the news with the AOA series? I mean I would just love to know whats in it. I would still probably get the other dvds and just not have the first two from Paul.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Let's see...the first VCR was about $1200, now around $50

The complete Stars of Magic VHS from Tannen about $800, now maybe I could get $80 on eBay.

I love technology!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Penguin is offering the best price on the ENTIRE DVD SET:$149.95
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1243

That includes free shipping. Why pay for shipping or buy with those dealers that liek to hide their shipping costs ( it's never in your final bill when you check out ). Clown dealer hidden costs are a thing of the past.

We can all say it now: It's a celebration!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
If you're planning on breaking down the doors for Vol. 1 (Harris), caveat emptor:

Mr. Harris' well-deserved reputation as an extraordinary author and innovator is matched by neither his skills as an entertainer nor as a technician - at least not on this particular release.

Still, it's a worthwhile purchase for those (like me) seeking a "nostalgia kick." And you might catch yourself thinking, at more than one point, "what was he smoking during the break?" :o)
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 14:09, jhostler wrote:
If you're planning on breaking down the doors for Vol. 1 (Harris), caveat emptor:

Mr. Harris' well-deserved reputation as an extraordinary author and innovator is matched by neither his skills as an entertainer nor as a technician - at least not on this particular release.

Still, it's a worthwhile purchase for those (like me) seeking a "nostalgia kick." And you might catch yourself thinking, at more than one point, "what was he smoking during the break?" :o)

Wow, I disagree with this. I find Paul's little comments and antidotes to be quite amusing. Regardless Paul is a brilliant magician and there is nothing but top notch material on this DVD.

Overkill and Color Stunner are worth the entire price of the DVD alone and have become regular effects I show on a consistent basis. Color stunner is so good, the spectators just gasp at the end because they think the trick is over and are not expecting to be fried.

I would recommend this to younger magicians who may have never seen it. No caveat emptor warning should be made on either of Paul's Star's DVD's. Start breaking the door down now!
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 21:00, tdowell wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-28 14:09, jhostler wrote:

Wow, I disagree with this. I find Paul's little comments and antidotes to be quite amusing. Regardless Paul is a brilliant magician and there is nothing but top notch material on this DVD.

Overkill and Color Stunner are worth the entire price of the DVD alone and have become regular effects I show on a consistent basis. Color stunner is so good, the spectators just gasp at the end because they think the trick is over and are not expecting to be fried.

I would recommend this to younger magicians who may have never seen it. No caveat emptor warning should be made on either of Paul's Star's DVD's. Start breaking the door down now!

I have no issue with the quality of *material*, just the performance thereof - sloppy handlings (e.g., Ultimate Rip-Off, Strange Exchange, etc.) and strained patter. There's simply a huge (and obvious) difference in the quality of Paul's writing and performing. I don't see how one could objectively argue otherwise. But, in the end, this takes nothing away from the substantial contributions he's made to the field.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
888 Posts

Profile of e-man
THIS SOUNDS GREAT
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
pierre888
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of pierre888
I just got dvd 1-2 (paul Harris materials)!!! I am so pleased with my buy. I think for those who have the book (AOA1-3), this is an excellent complement to the materials in there... plus it's a chance to see one of the master cardicians in action. Smile
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of tntjr
The PH stuff is really good. Check out also the Eric DeCamps DVD. The Ring and Rope is outstanding, and he has a few card effects that are really nice as well.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I love "Too Many Cards" on the Dingle All Star Section.
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Dennis Loomis is offering the absolute best price $125.00 and $6.00 shipping

loomismagic.com
Check out his prices, usually the best on the internet and also a great guy to do business with. You can also buy all three volumes of the Art of Astonishment books for the low price of $100.00 and $6.00 shipping

Amerigo
Magic is Everywhere
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 03:40, sirbrad wrote:
Ok I decided I am not going to break...yet. If I do the current pile of books that have been waiting for my attention for months will most likely get a little ticked if any extra weight is added to the pile. So I will wait. Plenty of time for "breaking" after income tax returns. Smile

I broke finally. Even though there is not much in the set that I have not already seen or learned, I decided to order this set anyway as I have wanted it ever since I found out the VHS sets were going to be transferred to DVD. Classis effects by some of the World's classic magicians, and killer material.

As if I do not already have enough on my magic plate, this is all I need...18 hours of more material waiting in the wings to be viewed sometime in 2008. Anyone else get the entire set, or individual DVDS? Got my set for about $114.00 plus $11.00 shipping.

It is going to very hard to stare at this on the bottom of the "magic to do list" pile, so I better get crackin' Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I have watched and rewatch and rewatched the first two Paul Harris discs and I can honestly say that I have almost never been more inspired. His effects are not only great in and of themselves but are fanastic launching pads for your own imagination to take off from. So many great moves and ideas.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Agreed. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Vaderbreath
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Vaderbreath
I have only watched the first of the two David Roth volumes, and it is really good. Several routines, excellent explanations. I'd love to get the whole set at some point.

-Corey
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Do these follow the same format of performing the trick first, then the explanation? Do they use a live audience, or just perform for the camera?
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Sirbad,

just curious, where did you get the set for $114

that's a pretty great deal!!
Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
There's a set on dbay selling for $110 plus $8 shipping to the US.

This is one of the "must buy" DVD sets that you cannot miss.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy