The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Front Row Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
shazzy
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of shazzy
Its a while since Jay Sankey has a dvd out that I really liked, this one has some real killers and are not repeats as he usually been doing in his many previous dvds.

Highly Reccomend it to anyone.
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of T.House
Has anyone purchased the special paper (envelopes) for Fan Mail, or do you just use regular paper? If you have tried the special paper, could you comment on the difference between that and regular paper.

Thanks
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Someone was kind enough to give me a couple envelopes to try out. I haven't cut them up and used them in the routine yet, but will post my results when I do. The envelopes themselves feel nice, but they're so darn expensive!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of toberman
Quote:
On 2005-04-02 17:12, Mercury52 wrote:
Someone was kind enough to give me a couple envelopes to try out. I haven't cut them up and used them in the routine yet, but will post my results when I do. The envelopes themselves feel nice, but they're so darn expensive!

Kevin

Go to the Post Office and get some Priority Mail Tyvek envelopes. they are free.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks for the heads up! They're $18-20 a box at office depot.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I've been using Tyvek, as recommended by Jay. It feels a more like the stock that bank notes are printed on (which I think is based on cotton) rather than paper. It's got a nice slick feel to it. And you can practice with two slips all day long and they won't get ripped, roughed up, ragged or damp from being in your TT like paper would.
Thanks toberman for the PO tip. I'll have to see if they do that in the UK. I went to Staples and had to put them on special order. They charged me £15 for ten envelopes!
It was a good battle, and they nearly won.
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
I just recieved the DVD and must say that it really is great! I'm kind of dissaponted with the whole Tyvex envelope thing, but I'll be sure to goto my post office and get some for free! Thanks for the tip Smile

Adam
GoranS
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of GoranS
I really like the switch in the "chicago opener"...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I just got this dvd as a gift and I must say, I think it's pretty fantastic. His handlings are what make these effects so great. Very streamlined. By the way, no one has mentioned One of One. I think it's a killer effect. Okay, maybe not for magicians, but for lay people... I think I'm going to start doing this one very soon.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I agree completely about One of One. I think that effect and Fan Mail are the best on the disc.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4758 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I got a box of big tyvek mailing envelopes from Staples for around $10. You can cut approximately 12 slips per envelope and there are tons of envelopes in teh box. So spend $10 at Staples and you should have a lifetime of Fan Mail slips (The slips with your name rarely need replacing. I've been using the same one for over 75 performances and it's still fine).
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
It is actually nice to see Sankey getting some credit and praise on the Café. It seems that so many of the posts about him and his releases are negative. Front Row Sankey is great. My only suggestion would be to improve the sound quality should he try to produce a "live" performance dvd again.

Cheers,

Tiki
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

How are you guys cutting the Tyveck? Scissors? Knife? I cut about 15 of them using a template I cut from some dry wall and a utility knife. Kind of a pain in the neck. Tried using a paper slicer but the Tyveck is a little slippery.

Also, how big are you making them? Size of a bill? 6" by 2 1/2"?

Just curious to see what other people are doing.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
I cut mine using a metal ruler and a scalpel-type hobby knife. You need something very sharp and a straight edge that the blade won't dig into. The template's a good idea but I think drywall would be very difficult to cut against.
I cut the to the size of a US dollar bill.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

It is difficult to cut against. But I was just improvising with what I had. I think I shoud invest in a metal ruler.
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
If your looking for Tyvek for Fan Mail in UK I've found packs of 25 C5 size Tyvek envelopes at Viking Direct for £3.51 (unfortunately £3.50 delivery on top, but they did arrive next day).
I guess you'd get at least 4 bill sized pieces out of each envelope. They do other sizes too.
Link: http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(e2pbmfzo......consumer
paulduggan
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of paulduggan
Great tip. Thank you.
mischiefManaged
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mischiefManaged
I was walking to the break room today when I saw some FedEx envelopes. They were made of Tyvek of all things. I guess you can get Tyvek free from the post office and also from FedEx. I just paid like $20 for 50 envelopes at Office Depot.
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I am afer the coin routine in this video. Here is the description.

Slow Motion Coins: A "coins across" effect as deliberate as it is deadly!

Does this use the Goshman/Tenkai pinch? because I don't do the move. Is this effect powerful?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

It does not use Tenkai. It's a terrific effect. Not difficult to do. He has another, more streamlined version on his Anytime Anywhere dvd. Not sure it's better but it's also very good.