The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Identity (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..20~21~22 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I combined Mr. Stickman and Named quite awhile back. I think many of us do that to effects we like. ACR with Card to Wallet, etc.

When a friend shared with me that it a combo of those two effects and what the gaff was, I wasn't sure if there was going to eb soemthing on the dvd for me. There was and quite a bit of it.

So, why do I still think Identity is a winner for me? It's all the little things Richard did with this dvd. The subtleties and mini sleights workshops for one. The revolve change instead of the Houdini ( Erdnase ) color change for me, along with the 'nearly' Impromptu version, was worth the price.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3102 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I bought it, I like, I have no problems with it. With that out of the way, I have to agree with Simon Bakker. The demo for Deep - 3 was almost stangely honest. It was like a refreshing slap in the face. Of course Bros. is selling a product that you would otherwise have to try and construct yourself not just a routine, but still. Don't think we will see too many adverts like that but I was impressed.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I just got this in the mail.

I apologize if some of what I say here has been said before I do not have the time to read 11 pages of posts.

First a little background. I'm a fairly advanced card worker I'm also a full time professional magician.

Here is the good stuff
I think the effect is very well thought out. It isn't difficult and I can see how this would play really well for a lay audience.

The gimmick (should you need to replace) is one that you should be able to get fairly easily. [edit] apparently it isn't that easy...maybe a whole new market will open up selling these...Mr. Sanders are you listening?

The Bad- He goes into mind-numbing detail. I understand making something clear but he tends to repeat himself stumbling at times over what I can only assume are meant to be clever asides. The explanations could have been greatly condensed no need to go over something three times. Show me and if I need to see it again I can simply skip back to the beginning of the sleight and go over it again.

The effect is good- the teaching leaves a lot to be desired...going to great length describing something does not mean you have done a particularly good job teaching it. Brevity is the key to good communication.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Voldemort, if it happens all the time, that doesn't change my opinion that they should mention that it's a routined package and nothing more.

I'm not so much upset as I am disappointed that I didn't learn anything more than "Here, put these two effects together."

You're right, I wouldn't be performing Identity if it wasn't for Richard's release of it. And I'm fine with that. Doesn't change how I feel about the situation though.

I didn't take any of it as rude, and I hope I never came off as rude either.

I've said it a couple times; he should have mentioned in the add that it was Mr. Stickman and Named routined together. He doesn't have to go as far as to say that if you don't want it, don't buy it. That's obvious and goes without saying for anything you buy.

Have I ever seen anyone do something like that ever? Actually, I was doing that exact thing about 5 minutes ago with someone who wants to purchase an effect of mine. I think it's the right thing to do. I never want to be responsible for an unhappy purchase if it doesn't fit them.

Richard never did anything wrong and he didn't HAVE to do anything more. He simply, in my opinion, SHOULD HAVE let us know that it was a routine with Mr. Stickman and Named.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
PatrickGregoire,

I understand and respect what you are saying and how you feel.

I don't own Stickman or Named. So I can't really say how I'd feel about it if I already had those effects.

But I see where you are coming from.

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Richard Sanders
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sanders FX
174 Posts

Profile of Richard Sanders
Hi Guys,

Thank you ALL for all your comments and suggestions.
As a growing business my goal is to continuously evolve over time.
I will do my best to implement all of your ideas into future Sanders FX releases.
So again, thank you all, your voices are definitely heard Smile

Given all the different topics being discussed on the thread, PLEASE DON"T LOSE SIGHT of the fact that IDENTITY IS ONE SOLID WORKHORSE OF A ROUTINE.
Anyway you slice it, the effect of Identity is devastating...and the method given to obtain this effect is rock solid and totally workable.

As many of you know by my track record as a creator, I am very strict when it comes to quality control. I have turned down far more projects than I care to mention because, in my mind they were just not strong enough and/or deceptive enough to introduce to the market.

Have fun with Identity and remember to sit back and enjoy the sweet sound of jaws hitting the floor Smile

Thank you for your time and thank you for your support for Identity.

Cheers,

Richard Sanders
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
1261 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
Anyone who has performed Identity before Richard Sanders dropped it in your lap, please raise your hands?
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 21:18, Dan McLean wrote:
Anyone who has performed Identity before Richard Sanders dropped it in your lap, please raise your hands?

:lol: Well now, that kind of sums it up now doesn't it and well stated! Still waiting for mine and I can no longer remember when I ordered it. Oh well, in due time.

~gaffed~
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-07-02 20:00, Richard Sanders wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thank you ALL for all your comments and suggestions.
As a growing business my goal is to continuously evolve over time.
I will do my best to implement all of your ideas into future Sanders FX releases.
So again, thank you all, your voices are definitely heard Smile

Given all the different topics being discussed on the thread, PLEASE DON"T LOSE SIGHT of the fact that IDENTITY IS ONE SOLID WORKHORSE OF A ROUTINE.
Anyway you slice it, the effect of Identity is devastating...and the method given to obtain this effect is rock solid and totally workable.

As many of you know by my track record as a creator, I am very strict when it comes to quality control. I have turned down far more projects than I care to mention because, in my mind they were just not strong enough and/or deceptive enough to introduce to the market.

Have fun with Identity and remember to sit back and enjoy the sweet sound of jaws hitting the floor Smile

Thank you for your time and thank you for your support for Identity.

Cheers,

Richard Sanders

About time someone made sense on this thread....Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Quote:

Mmmm, I think that actually a lot of people were performing a version of Identity since the Richard Sanders Show and since Richard taught a slightly different version in his lecture. I fell in love with the concept since then. There maybe some difference in handling but the basic effect stays the same. Just as there are a lot of versions of the Ambitious card, but the basic effect stays the same. If you're referring to the exact technical handling, then you're probably right. But in my opinion the slight alterations in handling don't make it an entirly different effect.

Quote:
On 2009-07-03 17:18, daffydoug wrote:

Well, you've probably meant it tong in cheek, but I actually find that this thread makes a lot of sense. I, as I wrote earlier, find identity a good effect, but was a little disappointed because I own the Richard Sanders show. There wasn't a lot new for me.

I find it very insightful to read all the arguments, why people do like Identity and why people think it a bit dissapointing. Just because I don't agree with people doesn't mean to me that they don't make sense.
I hope this thead continues so I can learn more about people's experiences with Identity.

Regards
Simon
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Can we just get over this please and talk about the effect?

If you feel ripped ask for your money back. Fairly simple. A lot of good it will do to keep harping on about it here without doing something about it. But I suspect that some aren't happy without a little conflict in thier lives.

"The ad is misleading", "Same effect" Blah, Blah. What are you going to do? Sue him. Hopeing to harm his reputation? Whats the goal?

If your that angry, take it up with Richard personaly. Have any of you even bothered to e-mail him?

V.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 06:37, Voldemort wrote:
Can we just get over this please and talk about the effect?

If you feel ripped ask for your money back. Fairly simple. A lot of good it will do to keep harping on about it here without doing something about it. But I suspect that some aren't happy without a little conflict in thier lives.

V.

I suspect that some aren't to happy when their views aren't shared by others.
I think that people who don't own Identity can make a better informed descision before purchasing it, if they read this thread first. Threads like these helped me a lot in the past.
But you're probably right that enough is said now, I just didn't like your tone. I'm in no way angry or feel ripped.

Then about the effect; I actually shared a sublety a few post back, curious what others think of it. Also I was wondering what you would do if you knew the name in advance and had the oppurtunity to write it in advance? I think this can make the handling somewhat cleaner, but it loses the spontaneous aspects of the original handling, any thoughts?

Simon
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
We ARE talking about the effect.Smile

We're discussing why we are disappointed or not disappointed with our purchase. We're discussing how we feel about the demo video. These are all important points to discuss. They are COMPLETELY relevant with Identity. Just like Simon Bakker, I am not angry nor do I feel ripped off by my purchase. This is where you should have taken what we were discussing lately a little bit more seriously. We've explained how we feel about Identity.

Explaining that you may be disappointed with Identity if you already know Mr. Stickman and Named, since Identity is just those two effects put together, is VERY important to know. You may see it as complaining and harping but it's important information to get across in case someone doesn't want to buy what this really is.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Voldemort,
The ultimate goal is EXACTLY what happened. Mr. Sanders posted to this thread thanking people for voicing their opinions positive AND negative. It makes him better AND its happening in real time.

He doesn't have to wait until he releases something new and no one buys it to try and figure out what he did wrong. The consumer has a voice now that is louder than ever before in history.

Jason
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Voldemort by name Voldemort by nature Smile
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 12:28, PatrickGregoire wrote:
We ARE talking about the effect.Smile

We're discussing why we are disappointed or not disappointed with our purchase. We're discussing how we feel about the demo video.

No, Sorry. Smile

You are talking about two other effects, Named and Stickman. And the three (Not sure but I think that makes you a minority) of you who actually have a problem, Didn't answer my question. What are you going to do about it? Keep crying like little kids on a forum? Sue? What?

Discussing how you feel about your purchase is one thing, But trying to defame someones character by calling them a cheat and a liar is quite another. I'd like to see what any of you would say to Richards face.

Quote:
On 2009-07-04 08:31, Simon Bakker wrote:

I suspect that some aren't to happy when their views aren't shared by others.

Simon

Yep. That's pretty plain now isn't it.

Quote:
On 2009-07-04 12:55, JTW wrote:
Voldemort,
The ultimate goal is EXACTLY what happened. Mr. Sanders posted to this thread thanking people for voicing their opinions positive AND negative. It makes him better AND its happening in real time.

He doesn't have to wait until he releases something new and no one buys it to try and figure out what he did wrong. The consumer has a voice now that is louder than ever before in history.

Jason

Yes he did post to this thread. But I don't remember him apologizing to anyone or admitting that he "DID WRONG". I don't even remember him saying anything about the whole Stickman, Named, Misleading demo malarkey. In fact it sounds to me like hes standing up for his effect. No?

Quote:
On 2009-07-04 13:16, Gilgamesh_The_Librarian wrote:
Voldemort by name Voldemort by nature Smile

Lots of room to talk there.

V.
"Flight from death"
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
[quote]On 2009-07-04 16:56, Voldemort wrote:
[quote]Discussing how you feel about your purchase is one thing, But trying to defame someones character by calling them a cheat and a liar is quite another. I'd like to see what any of you would say to Richards face.

It didn't want to waste anymore energy on this, but since you are accusing me of calling Richard Sanders, who I respect deeply, a cheat and a liar I guess I have to.

WTF are you talking about!? Please read my posts before you say this incorrect nonsense. NEVER have I said anything like this! And neither have the other gentleman. Everyone just gave their opinion and their valid arguments (negative or or positive)! You are the one who dismisses arguments ase nonsense, just because they aren't the view of the majority.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
OH MY GOD EVERYONE CHILL OUT. Who cares anymore? Everyone has expressed their opinions and that's that. This is what happens on numerous threads here on the Café and they end up getting deleted. Its extremely annoying and unfortunate that three or four people have to clutter up threads with arguments instead of discussing it through email or private message. There have been some ideas and other contributions on this thread beside your arguing so please for the sake of all of us, do this some other time and some other place.

Nico
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1229 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
HEY...............HEY................HEY..................YO...............

Did you all hear that this is a great effect? Did you all hear that those who have been using it have gotten great reactions with it? Isn't that what we look for in a routine? Isn't that all that matters?

Sorry for screaming.....just wanted to be heard above the fervor!

Loving Identity.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-07-04 06:03, Simon Bakker wrote:
Quote:

Mmmm, I think that actually a lot of people were performing a version of Identity since the Richard Sanders Show and since Richard taught a slightly different version in his lecture. I fell in love with the concept since then. There maybe some difference in handling but the basic effect stays the same. Just as there are a lot of versions of the Ambitious card, but the basic effect stays the same. If you're referring to the exact technical handling, then you're probably right. But in my opinion the slight alterations in handling don't make it an entirly different effect.

Quote:
On 2009-07-03 17:18, daffydoug wrote:

Well, you've probably meant it tong in cheek, but I actually find that this thread makes a lot of sense. I, as I wrote earlier, find identity a good effect, but was a little disappointed because I own the Richard Sanders show. There wasn't a lot new for me.

I find it very insightful to read all the arguments, why people do like Identity and why people think it a bit dissapointing. Just because I don't agree with people doesn't mean to me that they don't make sense.
I hope this thead continues so I can learn more about people's experiences with Identity.

Regards
Simon

You were absolutely correct. I was indeed speaking tongue in cheek. Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.