The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Hello Sucker! by Harry Anderson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Have checked Best Buy, IMDB, Circuit City, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and a multitude of online shops. Anyone got a source for actually purchasing the VHS? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Kjellstrom,

Great video of Harry Anderson. I didn't realize he was moving to Ashville NC.
I wonder if he will open a magic shop like he had in New Orleans?

Mike
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Along with "Hello, Sucker", does anyone else have the TV special Harry had during the run of "Dave's World"? It's along the same lines as HS, but cleaner (of course, it was network) and funnier. The cast of the show was featured, and Jay Johnson was also a featured performer with Darwin the monkey. It's worth it to see Harry do the Jumbo Card on Seat (straight from Collector's Workshop) and cups and balls...although his final loads are a little obvious. I think this special only aired once. There was also a "return visit" to Owen's Magic included on the show...VERY funny stuff! That also needs to be made available on DVD.

Steve
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The only place to get the video of Harry's Showtime special is from Meir Yedid.
http://www.mymagic.com/anderson.htm

He's out of stock right now, but you should check with the other magic dealers out there, someone's probably got a copy.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
If it's just "Hello Sucker" you're looking for, check ebay...there's usually one up there for sale. Use "Harry Anderson" in your search, and you'll probably come up with one or two.

Steve
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Hey SteveThomas!

I was lucky enough to buy my copy from Harry himself before he left New Orleans...

Then I got to see him perform a few of his old bits at Oswalds on Tuesday or "Magician's Night".

Harry is, without a doubt, a one of a kind performer!

What I like most about Harry comes from something he said that Tuesday night:

Paraphrased in reference to material being stolen...He also talks about this in his book, "Wise Guy"

"...I don't care how much of my material you steal...Take it all...You taking my material tells me that it's good stuff! No matter how many tricks you take from me I know one thing....You can never be me...So, I'm not worried..."

That, friends and neighbors, is self-confidence and the solid knowledge that you are unique, without being egotistical about it.

Harry is a legend that will never be topped.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Just came to my (old) mind...the CBS special was called either "Tricks of the Trade" or "Tricks of My Trade". Fantastic TV special, loaded with wonderful material and cameos. John Ritter was on the show, too. This ran during the middle of the "Dave's World" run. If you can find this special, it's worth the search.

Piper...why haven't you been back here for a visit? Better get here before I sell off all the good magic that's decorating my Studio!

Steve
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Hey!!!

WHOA BIG FELLA!!!

No selling of neat ****e without prior notice given to your future fire-eating teacher!!

Plus, Monday is my BIRTHDAY, whattcha got???

And the last time we chatted, it was YOU who was gonna visit ME!

Remember?

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
You can find and get Hello sucker to magic video archives.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I could be wrong about this, but there's a guy on Ebay selling what apprear to be pirate copies of this video. He puts a new one up for auction about every week or so. The current one is item number 160141333786. The sellers name is: 1goodalterboy . I just find it curious that he would have so many originals for sale. Maybe I'm wrong.
TV Magic Pal
View Profile
New user
Dogtown up in the 'Lou
62 Posts

Profile of TV Magic Pal
The Magic Video Archives copy, and apparently all of the other MVA offerings, are pirated. "Hello Sucker" is not available on DVD nor would it be bundled with the other programs found on "Disc 69."
Michael L.

Magic is a lie. It is our job to convince the audience to overlook the lie and our goal to make them embrace it.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I picked up a copy of Hello Sucker on VHS from a dealer at a magic convention earlier this year (most video/DVD dealers tend to have a copy lying around). Harry was selling copies of his specials on DVD at SEAM in Atlanta (not official releases, but authorized bootlegs). So, if you can get in contact with him, you can pick them up on DVD from the man himself, hell, he'll probably even sign them for you.
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
I also have a one of the original Hello Sucker tapes and still watch it from time to time. It's a shame they have not transferred this tape to DVD for a newer generation.

What is a bigger shame is that I recorded almost every TV appearance that Harry ever made on VHS, including his many guest shots on Saturday Night Live, Cheers, and Johnny Carson----plus all of his specials, but over the years they have degenerated to a point as to be almost unwatchable.

There is one clip from Saturday Night Live, I believe, where he is doing a straight jacket escape in a race against his wife who is doing the 100 ft rope tie escape from a chair. When she starts getting ahead he keeps kicking her chair over. She wins anyway, but the physical and verbal byplay by Harry is absolutely hysterical. This gem and several other great routines of his are not on the Hello Sucker tape.

I wish someone would just make a DVD compilation all his Saturday night live appearances like ones they did using Belushi or Akroyd skits. If so, one would have just about all his best routines. I know I would certainly purchase a copy and I bet just about every Harry Anderson magic fan would too.

Cheers
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:

I wish someone would just make a DVD compilation all his Saturday night live appearances like ones they did using Belushi or Akroyd skits. If so, one would have just about all his best routines. I know I would certainly purchase a copy and I bet just about every Harry Anderson magic fan would too.

Cheers

Me too!
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Lots of those clips are available on YouTube. Certainly someone, with a little effort, could create a compilation themselves. Granted this treads on copyright infringement, but as long as you're not selling it, you should be okay.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I just did a youtube search and there are suprisingly few videos.
I most want to see the SNL clip with the Guinea Pig box ,but no luck finding it.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
This is the closest thing I could find

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/84/84mmono.phtml
Nerdini
View Profile
Loyal user
Little Rock, Arkansas
223 Posts

Profile of Nerdini
Man, I remember that night and how outrageously funny it was.

In Caveney's book about Harry (Wiseguy) he states that:

Right after Harry supposedly stuffed Skippy into his mouth, the switchboards at NBC lit up like a Christmas Tree. Animal rights nuts across the country were up in arms, so the producers asked Harry to have Skippy reappear during the closing "thank yous".

Harry took this opportunity to look straight into the camera and say: "I've been asked to comment on the fate of poor Skippy whom you all met in the prologue. Well, all I can say is that when it comes to nutrition, nothing beats Skippy"

Skippy finally did make an appearance, but it was too late--a million more phones were being dialed.

Funny, funny stuff!
"I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that's the one thing I'm indebted to her for"
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
993 Posts

Profile of jbadman
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 10:51, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Lots of those clips are available on YouTube. Certainly someone, with a little effort, could create a compilation themselves. Granted this treads on copyright infringement, but as long as you're not selling it, you should be okay.

Hey that never stopped Harry so I doubt he'd complain ;-)
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 10:51, Josh Chaikin wrote:

The fact that they're on YouTube itself breaches on copyright.