The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Done by misdirection. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Wow! Thanks for the info, mattisdx.

I've just ordered it. Manuel really impressed me on the FF DVD, so I think I'm gonna enjoy this!

Adam
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
It's in my Top 10 of Magic DvDs. Really great stuff Smile the vanishing candle looks like an absolute miracle !
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
Yeah, I've now watched most of it and it is really great.

I love doing stuf with borrowed money, so the impropmptu $100 bill change, bill to borrowed cigarette, etc. are things I will definitely perform.

I like the beer mat trick (or bierdeckel) too...a nice fast effect.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Overall I thoght that the Flicking Fingers DVD was much better than this one. Frankly, I found it disappointing.

The material is okay (at least one routine was already on Flicking Fingers), but there was nothing particularly new. The essay on misdirection could have been good, but it was spoiled by the disctracting setting (he's in a Café talking to someone who is ignoring him). The first time I wtched it all the way through I didn't realise when his FISM act started - and didn't find it his strongest set piece.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Watch the Café scene again, the first time I watched it, I donned the same attitude as the guy in the black shirt, than I re-watched it, and it really is an awesome treatise on misdirection Smile not only that, the disinterested guy in the Café was his misdirection so you'd have to go back and watch it again ! Smile
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I took the disinterested spectator in the coffee shop as a metaphor for most of the modern day magicians. Sort of along the lines of 'don’t bore me with sermons about theory, just show me how it’s done'. He has a lot to say about the fundamentals, there’s actually some real gold in there, but most people won’t take the time to really listen - either from him, or other great teachers.

Watch it again and insert your favorite Blaine-a-be sitting across the table. I found it kind of amusing.
adamjames
View Profile
Loyal user
England
205 Posts

Profile of adamjames
I've just watched this again and seen some things I didn't notice the first time...

I like Manuel's little nuance for the retention pass (in the "Ring and Wand" explanation"), and the way he breaks movements down by first showing the moves with the hands then showing what he's doing with his eyes.

Watching him do the moves, both in the performance section and the explanation, you get a great sense of how body language and normal movements make everything look natural and flowing when performing this type of magic.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
The first time I wtched it all the way through I didn't realise when his FISM act started - and didn't find it his strongest set piece.

Having seen Manuel perform his FISM act live I can agree with you, it didn't look impressive in the dvd. The crowd was very small and they were German so they didn't understand all the jokes associated with it. BUut, he KILLED with that act the time I saw him. I have to say it was one of the best performances I saw at the whole convention. The dvd may not have done it the justice it diserved, but it's a great act.

Although his advice in the Café was sort of annoying with the man that wasn't even paying attention, I think it was worth hearing.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
Where can I get a sample of this dvd??
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
What types of effects are taught? Could someone maybe explain there favorite effect from the DVD?
~joeKing
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
What tricks are included in this DVD? Can anyone tell me? Thanks!
In love with magic!
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
Vanishing Candle- A vanish of a lit candle.

Card Under Glasss- A two phase card under glass routine.

Bill In Lemon- ........

Bill in Cigarette - ........

The Impromptu 100 $ Bill Change- A t...b t.p less handling of the Klause switch.

The Ring on Wand - A short vanishing ring routine where the ring finally ends up on a wand that is being held by the spectator.

Grandpa's Cigar Box - A four phase card under box routine. Appeared on "The Movie"

The Vanishing Marker - I loved this gag. Something to do with the marker you have a spectator sign something with.

4 Ace Trick - A straightforward ace assembly.

The Floating Spread - A floating ribbon spread.

Card in Shoe. A selected card is found in your shoe. Immediatley afterwards a large glass is found in your shoe. The same glass that was on the table a moment ago. This routine is also in "The Book"

Card in Shoe 2 - A selected card is found in your shoe.

The Business Card Sponge - A novel way of attaching your business card to a selected card.

Time is Money - Four coins are given to the spectator. The magician is able to magically remove one from the spectator's hand. Upon attempting to put it back it ends up under the spectator's watch. Can be found previously in "7 Close Up" the Finger's lecture notes.

The cap, The coin, and the marker - I love this routine. Previously on The Movie. This is gold. A coin in pen cap routine with a jumbo coin and jumbo marker.

Casanovas Coins - A unique effect where a coin penetrates a stocking multiple times before finally a borrowed watches melts right through.

The Goshman Pinch Striking Vanish - A variation of David Williamson's beautiful move.

Credit Card to wallet - a borrowed credit card ends up in your wallet.

The Cups and Balls - A wonderful cup and ball routine. It is a slightly different set from "The Fruit Cups" previously published in "The Book" and can be seened performed on "The Movie" by Helge Thun.

The German Bierdeckel Trick- A coaster vanishes and reappears underneath a glass.

Well I loved this dvd....not much more to say, everyone else covered it with previous posts! A winner all the way.
Joshua 24:15
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
This DVD is amazing. I heard that there's also a German version, would anyone know if the contents differ between the 2?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
The German version is on the other side of the disc. It is a dual disc.
JeremiahZuo
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of JeremiahZuo
I just found my disc cracked after accidently stepping on it....... Time to mourn.
Joshua 24:15
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2006-03-22 19:16, Tom Cutts wrote:
The German version is on the other side of the disc. It is a dual disc.

Thanks Tom. I tried playing it. it wont play on my DVD player.