The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: David Regal Vs. John G. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Why don't you get the Regal books since they are more bang for your buck. you get tons more useful routines. john g has no book so just get his dvds. trust me, john g has some killer material that kicks you in the butt time and time again. don't know what mr. close and mr. swiss were thinking about in their reviews. No disrespect Smile
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
252 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
I've got both and love both, however...I really enjoy the powerful simplicity of John G's stuff. I've also communicated with him via email and found him to be a real class act.
That being said, David's stuff is very strong and depending on the perfomer could be a better choice. But for my style, Johns stuff fits better.
steve proescher
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia Beach
147 Posts

Profile of steve proescher
Buy one of David's and one of John's. You won't be dissapointed with either. You can then decide for yourself. My guess is that you will eventually by the rest of the dvds from both. I think you will learn more that just tricks watching these guys. Their handling and routining are both strong.

Of course, next, you'll save your money for David's books. Some of the items in the books can be found on the vids, but there are plenty of additional gems to be found in the books.
Elmsley4
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Elmsley4
Brainstorm is outstanding. I only own vol 3 and 4 of Premise, Power &Participation, and while I like them, I find John G's effects more suitable to my style. I will add (and people please add your opinion). John G's material seems like very strong alterations/additions/improvements on different effects, while Regal seems to have more that he created on his own. Waht do you guys think?
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Both are great sets. Buy one and atrat saving for the other! Very classy of Mr. Regal to say all those great things about John G also!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I'm looking into buying John G's DVD's soon. I have David Regal's Tricks, More Tricks, Enough with the tricks already VHS series. It is AMAZING. Definitely the best series I own. He's entertaining, creative, and a great teacher.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
John and David are both creative geniuses. There is no Vs.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
griff13
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of griff13
My recomendation would be to try to get both sets of vids. They are both filled with very good usuable effects.

They are two of my favorite sets of dvds. I am still learning effects from both.

Choosing one over the other would sort of be like the old "Who do you like better Ginger or Maryanne?"

If John G. reads this, what excuse do you use to pull out 4 "normal" Queens and Aces from a packet rather than use the ones in the deck for Intuition/Out of Control?
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 21:23, griff13 wrote:
If John G. reads this, what excuse do you use to pull out 4 "normal" Queens and Aces from a packet rather than use the ones in the deck for Intuition/Out of Control?

I usually perform "Intuition/Out of the Blue" as a standalone packet trick - or I produce the odd-colored cards from the deck (w/o showing the backs of course). The Piet Forton Popout Move works well. Or simply perform these effects and openly remove the cards from the deck.

FYI-I have a nice 4-card production that works perfectly here that I call "Teeter Totter Aces." You'll likley see it on my next project (many months away though).

Best,
John G.
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1164 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Hi John, I noticed your 'teaser' about another project. Can you tell us if we're looking for more DVD's or perhaps a book/booklet type of thing. I enjoy your work and can't wait to see more.

Your friend in magic,
Luke Dancy
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
377 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Hi Luke,

I have not actually started any new project at the point. However, I have been sifting through original effects for possbile inclusion on an upcoming set of notes or DVD set. So, yes I do plan to release new material some time in the future, but have not formally started to do this yet.

Love your DVDs Luke.

Best,
John
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
I Like D. Regal (P.P.P) very much, but J. Guastaferro´s Brainstorm is so great!!
Ballet Cut is so nice. BTW. I Use your color change using BC Smile

BRAINSTORM!
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Anything with David Regal's name on is going to be top notch stuff. I also love John G's Brainstorm DVDs. I'd say get both. However, in terms of the level of difficulty, I'd say John G's material is a little easier if you are between beginner - near intermediate level. David Regal's material will inspire, motivate and entertain you as you move from intermediate to advance. Just my 2 cents.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
John G Brainstorm is a really greaaaaaaaaaaaat Dvd. Get it and you'll certainly find useful ideas whatever is your level in card magic.
Smile Smile Smile
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Get both ! No question to that

I love both John G and David Regal materials

Very practical
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"