The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Guy Hollingworth Reformation video (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I wish I could be of more help. Since I don't own the video, and I'm not much of a card guy, I can't tell you what the similarities and differences are between the book routine and the video routine, but the video performance is described as "an unusual performance of The Reformation, his renowned torn and restored card".

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 20:15, vwc06 wrote:
The clip on Routines is performance-only.

Vwc06,

Performance only is perfectly fine and will probably be eagerly snapped up by the Drawing Room Deceptions owners who really wish to perfect this great routine. Releasing it as performance only is a good compromise solution to not releasing it at all and re-releasing the entire "Reformation" video again.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Pebkac
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Pebkac
Routines came out after The Reformation.

Routines can be somewhat considered a video version of Drawing Room Deceptions.

For those that cannot make heads or tails out of the English language in a written medium, Routines contains a performance only version of The Reformation and, alas, no explanation.

To consider the Routines performance a re-release would be overvaluing the clip. If this were the case, his performance of the effect on World's Greatest Magic videotapes all over would be of the same.

Also last I checked, no one has figured out Guy's handling from a video of the performance. Legions of magicians working on it came up with "their own variation." (Though, to be fair it can be said they were working on the Copperfield torn and restored baseball card.)

The written explanation of The Reformation is quite adequate. The video simply confirms that "Yes, you do hold it just like that, and yes... the audience doesn't see it."

The best torn and restored Guy has put forward is not The Reformation, but another one mentioned in his book. Less physical work, more psychological work, and greater conviction.
Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.
Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy. Where it is easy, it's called a police state.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 22:05, Pebkac wrote:
Also last I checked, no one has figured out Guy's handling from a video of the performance.

I have his performance on The World's Greatest Magic. After watching it many, many times, it can be figured out. Yes, I'm sure I know the exact method. Of course, only those who purchased his video or book should actually perform it.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Trust me, you aren't going to learn it by watching the World's Greatest Magic. Do yourself a favor, get the book and the "Routines" video if you want to learn Guy's handling.
Pebkac
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Pebkac
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 23:18, Micheal Leath wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 22:05, Pebkac wrote:
Also last I checked, no one has figured out Guy's handling from a video of the performance.

I have his performance on The World's Greatest Magic. After watching it many, many times, it can be figured out. Yes, I'm sure I know the exact method. Of course, only those who purchased his video or book should actually perform it.

Last I checked, only one person has figured out Guy's exact handling from watching a video of the performance. And that person is Michael Leath.
Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins.
Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy. Where it is easy, it's called a police state.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I'm sure there are plenty more. Most anyone who has studied magic for a while should be able to. He does not use any "top secret", never before used moves in his routine.

Quote:
On 2004-04-21 00:04, MJ Marrs wrote:
Trust me, you aren't going to learn it by watching the World's Greatest Magic. Do yourself a favor, get the book and the "Routines" video if you want to learn Guy's handling.

So, you are saying that it is impossible to figure out? Surely anyone who has has been in magic a while can watch it over and over and figure out the handling.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I have Guy's Reformation video for sale.

PM me if you are interested.

Iain.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2004-04-21 00:44, Micheal Leath wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-04-21 00:04, MJ Marrs wrote:

So, you are saying that it is impossible to figure out? Surely anyone who has has been in magic a while can watch it over and over and figure out the handling.

Yeah, and I'm also saying that anyone who goes outside and flaps his arms for a long time probably won't learn how to fly either...LOL

There are lots of tips and subtlties to be learned from the book. These little details might not seem important, but they are. Like Vernon said, art isn't a detail, but the details make the art.

Anyway, if you're up for the challenge of learning the routine properly from TWGM footage, then good luck.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:

There are lots of tips and subtlties to be learned from the book. These little details might not seem important, but they are. Like Vernon said, art isn't a detail, but the details make the art.

I agree completely. I only said that you could figure out the moves.
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
It is true that you can figure it out from TWGM, but if that's the way you choose then your probably missing out on, for example, the correct way to turn and hold the folded card.

Even though I spent many hours, days even, getting the Reformation down pat from watching performance only, I don't think it's the way to go. I believe that the TWGM is good if you already know the effect; it shows you how it is supposed to look.

In my opinion viewing the reformation on the video Routines is not quite as clear as the one on TWGM, but I think it was quite clever presenting it the way he did on the boat.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Very similar...

Quote:
On 2004-04-20 17:09, Joey Brummett wrote:
How similar is this Kenworthy effect to Hollingworths? I've seen numerous ones, like Ripped and Restored, Reparation, etc., but these didn't have the cleanliness of the Reformation.

Michele
View Profile
Veteran user
Taiwan
304 Posts

Profile of Michele
I got the video. It is not easy to learn. MUST practice, practice, practice.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
The routine is very difficult to perform properly (very easy to perform poorly), however, I think that it's one of the all time great routines in magic.
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
I second that.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
I'll second that also.....
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I Learned it from the video, and I got the handling down within an hour, something that I wouldn't have been able to do with the book.
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2032 Posts

Profile of Platt
The question still has not been answered:

How exactly does Hollingworth's effect compare to Ripped and Restored? I've been told they're almost identical in appearance, but R&R is much easier to master.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Ripped and restored is more similar to John Lovick's reparation in handling. I myself have never used any other methods aside from Hollingworths, so I cant give too much info.
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Ripped and Restored is not as clean as the Reformation. In Ripped and Restored, the pieces are placed in a pocket, before the restoration.