The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Osterlind Vol 1 "Bank Night" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
These DVD's blew me away. I can not believe that this material was released. All I can say is thank you!
Drive Carefully
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Heys guys, I hate to move away from the subject matter of the thread but I like to have a few opinions on Mr Osterlind's center tear.Now I got to say I love it to pieces:) and have tried it out on a few close friends plus family members.I actually make them think of a country,it fits my style as I have done a bit of travel plus know lots concerning different cultures,which I can tie it.For example, Once I know the country I ask them to think of its location on a world map and if its down south I claim to have a picture of an arrow pointing downwards,plus I can ask them to think of a native person speaking in their local tongue and get the spec to actually hear this in their mind and then I can "pick up" on the language,anyways you all get the idea......Now what I found when performing for family that two members wanted to fold the piece of paper a second time, rather than give it to me to fold which was not a problem because I knew it would probadly occur so practiced on it.

Its a little more fair in my opinion to allow the spec fold it twice but then again I did it Mr Osterlind's way and it went down very vell.In my mind there are certain pro's and con's to allowing a spec to fold it twice rather than just the once,

Pro's
In the spec's mind since its folded twice the performer surely can not see through the paper or get a chance to peek(which is pretty much impossible anyways but I don't want them to have an solution in their mind even though its completely false.

lol that's all the pro's I have.

Cons
Since the spectator makes the fold then they will obviously crease the paper from top to bottom which can make the next phase a little more awkward.

Sometimes in practice and once out of the two performance when it was folded twice the writing appeared upside down which made reading it a little more difficult plus took little longer.

More fumbling

lol and finally Im think Mr Osterlind does this for a living and does not do it this way so Im probadly just over complicating things and thinking about it magicians style rather that from a layman's point of view........although in fairness the two family members insisted on folding it twice and my instructions were quiet clear at the begining!

So Im curious which way should I go, Im thinking I should just keep practicing it boths ways so Im always prepared but during actual performance should I instruct them to fold it twice(so they have no explanation at all at the end guaranteed) or one fold(I know when you receive the paper you really aren't even looking at it but still at the end of the show the spec may have something to fall back on)But maybe then again if done right there should be no explanation either way.

Also final question,when doing the center tear I use regular computer printing paper that I tear up,I feel this is heavy enough but what do the rest of you guys use?

Anyways thanks for reading this long reply,Hope you all had a great weekend!